This HT overkill for a 12x12 room?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ricky_K, May 29, 2002.

1. Ricky_K

Ricky_K Extra

HTD Level 3 Y combo
    Yamaha HTR-5550
    Sony Wega 36 inch TV

is this overkill for a 12x12 room? Do you think the L3 X combo is a better choice?

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Most of the people here, myself included, don't believe there is any such thing as overkill in HT. There are only weak links and upgrade paths.

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Ricky;
    My room is about the same size as yours. I have a 42" 16x9 TV. I have an SV subwoofer. I've used the HTD Level IIIs along with it. Believe me, you're fine. There is no such thing as too much. [​IMG]

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Brian beat me to it. I don't think "HT" and "overkill" can be used in the same sentence.

5. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

I guess you aren't married, Dave. =) Not a day passes when I don't get hassled about the "fire hose" speaker wires and the square footage that my 5 speakers are using in the living room. I wish I had a big enough place for a separate "media room."

6. EmaxJS

EmaxJS Extra

The general recommendation is to sit 3 to 6 times the width of the screen (27' diagonal TV is 22' wide), Check out the viewing distance calculator on this site: http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html
    According to it your Maximum Viewing distance for a 36" diagonal 4x3 TV is 12.5 feet since you probably sit only 10 feet a way (allowing distance from the wall for the TV and Couch) you are right on the money

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I tried the level 3 towers along with there center. I liked it very much. You sure can put it to those towers with out any distortion. They do a great job and if you move to a bigger room you will be ready. The center for the money is very nice to imo. [​IMG]

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have a 12x12 with a 70 inch wide projection screen, Paradigm speakers all around, and a SVS with 1000watts behind it.

I wouldn't think your system would be overkill.

-Vince

9. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

"I wish I had a big enough place for a separate "media room."
    Michael,
    Just keep upgrading& soon you will...it's called the garage!
    Ricky_K,
    Another thing to consider is how long you intend to be in that 12x12 room as what sounds good there might not fill the bigger room you move into in the near future. Better to over-buy now and have some headroom.
    Speaking of headroom, I've got 9 towers and a dual Tempest in a 16x20 room, so even if she does boot me out to the 3-car garage I think I'm still ok [​IMG]

10. Ricky_K

Ricky_K Extra

thanks guys! Also do you guys recommend the HTD Level two's? For $499 I think is a pretty good bang for the bucks!

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Ricky, I have a 10'x12' room, click on the link in my sig to check it out. Small rooms can make great HT's.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]