What's new

This has to be a joke, justin to kelly moved back a week , will open day hulk will ! (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Not only was the DVD date announced, but the turn-around time is ridiculously short. Something like 6 weeks I think. It's hard to understand exactly why this is coming to the theaters at all, but it certainly looks like one of the first cases where the theatrical release is meant ONLY to sell the DVD (rather than just partially as has been the case with some other duds).

Maybe they were inspired by the bad buzz Hulk is getting and figure they could counter-program against it.

To be honest I don't hate the Idol idea, though I didn't love Kelly or Justin as artists. Reuben and Clay on the other hand have more enjoyable talent. Perhaps the biggest problem is that the STYLE of singing that fit these winners warrants an Annette/Frankie beach film, or a classic crooner film, and I just don't think current audiences like those types of films. They generally don't even accept current pop stars trying this stuff.

I think it would be a mistake to release a Sinatra picture now as an example of a known good quantity, just because its not what people are into.

The film does seem to have been quickly thrown together as well, but even if it wasn't would there be an audience for that type of material? Musicals are one thing, but campy crooner musicals might be pushing it.

Maybe they're looking to bury it because they suspect it will do badly, and by pitting it against "Hulk" they have something to blame when it doesn't do well. If it does well, they're still happy. It's a win-win situation.
I totally agree with this Mike. It's what I think too.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The turnaround time was originally 6 weeks, but too many (if not all) of the theater chains said they weren't going to show it with that little turnaround time, so Fox made it 12 weeks instead.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I'd go see an Annette and Frankie style film, but I doubt I'll see the movie they made before it hits video, and then I'll just rent it.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
It's called "counter programming".. Or in this case, "we give up!". Reports are that it may be the worst musical since "Xanadu".

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The movie isn't intentionally campy, but neither were the Frankie & Annette musicals. It's certainly no dumber than they were.

I just meant it's your basic six teenagers go to the beach, three boys and three girls -- the nerd, the bad boy/girl, and the all-american nice guy/girl (who are Justin and Kelly, of course), and there's a loose silly plot where they clown around, break into song out of the blue, have a big dance number or two with lots of teens on the beach, and all fall in love by the end of the film. The basic Frankie & Annette formula.

Of course the music is very contemporary, also quite disposable -- I don't think there's a really memorable song in the movie. I didn't think it was awful at all for what it was trying to be, which is just a piece-of-fluff beach musical.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
While the From Justin to Kelly flick looks pretty bad, The ads I have seen for HULK do not look any better. If anything I think the Justin & Kelly flick might be one of those "It's so bad it's good" films, HULK on the other hand looks like a hundred other crappy big budget flicks.

If I had a choice of watching either one of them, I would go for the cheese factor and see the Justin & Kelly movie, expecting to laugh my ass off.

No doubt HULK will stomp them at the box-office though.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

Perhaps one of the most talked about movies this Summer, FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY finally opens this week after a minor delay that saw the Fox movie pushed back one week. Guaranteed to give Baz Luhrman a run for his money, it's quite possible FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY will be the defining moment of movie musicals and I dare say 2003. With the DVD waiting in the wings just a scant few weeks away, fans will be able to get their Justin and Kelly fix in a rapid manner to preserve freshness for a movie that is likely to be regarded as the cinematic equivalent of burnt toast.

Hey at least Fox delivered with X2!

Could make Vin Diesel look like a Master Thespian.

Still trying to ride this thing out. Courage, sister.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
If they ever make a live action THE SIMPSONS, we have our Sideshow Bob!!! I believe I will pop into the theater playing this on Friday before heading in to see HULK, if only to see those with American Idol withdrawls! :D

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I don't know why, maybe it's her tough look but for some reason I can see Kelly in an action flick, some comic book/Dark Angel-like project either as a sidekick or possibly even as the lead. She looks like she might be able to kick some butt. If I were her agent I'd point her towards that type of thing. She could be taken more seriously in a cooler role and also contribute to the soundtrack.

Edit: ACK! Merged thread syndrome...

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
This will do well on DVD. These kind of films used to be released in the 50s and 60s to cash in on music trends such as the twist and other rock 'n roll stuff. They were called "quickies" and were made in a couple of weeks time. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Problem is it's not the 50's or 60's and today the media drives these things into your skull for prolonged periods of time to induce high ratings or heavy vomiting. Sure these types of flicks would end up being completely mocked on Mystery Science Theater, but unfortunately that show isn't around any more and movies like this will go unchecked. :frowning:

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
At the local 30-plex, it's going to be shown on one screen. Yeah...

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps by pitting it against The Hulk, they're banking on people who show up late to a sold out Hulk will go see it.

"Well, we drove all this way to the theater honey, we have to see something."

:)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yeah, but what are the odds of that happening? :) It's not like theaters are only going to be showing FJTK and Hulk. Alex and Emma is also opening, and Finding Nemo, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Dumb and Dumberer, Hollywood Homicide, etc. are all still in theaters.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Kelly was on The Daily Show last night. Jon took the opportunity to rip on her and Fox. Most of it went right over her head. Funny stuff.

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
I disagree. I beleive all aspects of this movie border on near perfection. The extended primal orgy dance scences are absolute brilliance, and contribute greatly to the film. As do the extended, extended, extended fight sequences... extended.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Kelly Clarkson interview here.

Love how she tries to justify her movie's vapidness by insulting the target audience's intelligence :rolleyes

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Youre making a joke MikeKaz, right?

I looked to see how badly this was reviewed today and there are no reviewss which mean they didnt screen it for critics a head of time.

Not a good sign.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks