This has GOT to be a psychological thing...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, Jun 16, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Sorry for the generic title, but I didn't know how to paraphrase this.

Have you ever noticed that when you really have to pee bad, you can hold it in for hours with no real problems, but once you get within 10 feet of a bathroom the intensity gets 1000 times worse?

Example, I drive an hour both ways for my commute. Plenty of times I have to pee real bad when I'm on the road. I find I can hold it in the whole ride home, yet once I walk into my apartment, the pressure seems to triple. Is this because my brains knows that when I'm in the car there is no where to go so it waits, but when I get home, it knows that I'll be peeing soon and it prepares to release? making the pressure even worse.

Sorry for the vivid topic, but this always gets me thinking.

2. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I think, physically speaking, that there is more pressure on your bladder when you are standing up then when sitting down, so the urge to "go" is greater. Just a thought.

3. MarkHastings

Jason, I was thinking of the standing thing too, but I just experienced this at work. I've been sitting down for a while and got up to go to the bathroom. I was interrupted and was standing for a bit. I had to pee bad, but it didn't seem too intense, but as soon as I opened the bathroom door, it felt like my bladder wanted to "let go".

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

The urge gets worse in this order from what you're saying then:

Sitting -> Standing -> Walking

I assume you were walking a bit before you had to stand for a bit, but the urge wasn't too bad yet.

5. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I agree with Mark. While your position does affect how "bad" you have to go, I don't think that's the whole story. There's some sort of mental anticipation going on. I get the same way when I have to take a poo as well. [​IMG]

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I've not noticed the increasing urges as you approach the restroom.

But I have noticed that sometimes when you really have to go, but don't/can't because you're super busy or not close to a restroom, by the time you CAN go you no longer feel like you have to. What's up with that? [​IMG]

7. MarkHastings

Malcolm, your post reminded me of something:

How about those times where you have to go real bad, but you're intensely working on something and not focusing on the fact that you have to pee. I do this all the time at work. I'll be working on soemthing and have to go real bad, but I'm able to ignore it by focusing on my work.

That's why I think it might be psychological...Once you start focusing on the fact that you're about to relieve yourself, the pressure always seems to get worse.

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

9. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

When the pressure starts to build, I hum to myself the theme song from LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and other dry, desert-bound movies. [​IMG]

10. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

So if I switch from humming the Perfect Storm soundtrack, the pressure will be less? Wow I gotta try it! [​IMG]

11. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

It’s because we’re not really off work until we get home, and when we’re off work we think with our ..... uh, never mind.

12. MarkHastings