What's new

This guy could use some theories on a Major Household Problem (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is intermittent? It comes and goes to some degree? Have you noticed any patterns, time of day, day of week?I don't have any recommendations for hardware specifically. I've not used line conditioners before. I know the many of the mid-range UPS power from the battery on the backup side, but I don't model names offhand.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If it's voltage you can buy the device i linked to on the last page but it only reduces voltage by 6%, that might b enough to check if the quality improves and i'm sure a more expensive brand might be able to lower that voltage much better to within a set standard, now the problem i have with it being voltage is the fact the electricians came out and checked it and said it's a little high, that statement could mean anything.

A power conditioner will not help for increased voltage, all they do is help with voltage surges and also reduce interference from fridges and lights being switched on, i know because i have one, they will not help if the voltage is consistently very high.

If the problem gets worse at certain times of the year and certain times of the day then it's another clue and may help, it might be something in the area that opened and uses equipment which is causing your problem.

A good read below, i wonder if a new factory opened near you in April 2013.

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/voltage-optimisation.html

I wonder if your apartment building has one of those voltage transformers and it's faulty and maybe everyone in the building gets this issue, this is why contacting neighbours and seeing if they experience your problems would be a good idea.

NEOCP30

Agent
Real Name
Nick
Sam Posten said:
Do you keep your pc speakers on either side of the devices? Magnets.
My PC speakers sit above my computer on the top shelf of my work station. I've also removed them in testing and with or without them around this problem doesn't go away.

NEOCP30

Agent
Real Name
Nick
DaveF said:
This is intermittent? It comes and goes to some degree? Have you noticed any patterns, time of day, day of week?I don't have any recommendations for hardware specifically. I've not used line conditioners before. I know the many of the mid-range UPS power from the battery on the backup side, but I don't model names offhand.

It started with the left side of the PC screen stretching and causing a weird slant in the display as of last April. From there the following occurred....

Right side stretching which led to....
Bulge in middle of the screen
Degradation in picture quality on PC and televisions.

I also noticed that as the anomaly changed on my PC, it changed on my t.v. as well. So whatever this is, when it increases in one device and the symptoms change? The other device is also imprinted with the new symptoms. As for it being intermittent. On weekends, SOMETIMES? The picture quality on both devices will improve just a smidge.

But by Monday it's either back to bad or worse.

NEOCP30

Agent
Real Name
Nick
FoxyMulder said:
If it's voltage you can buy the device i linked to on the last page but it only reduces voltage by 6%, that might b enough to check if the quality improves and i'm sure a more expensive brand might be able to lower that voltage much better to within a set standard, now the problem i have with it being voltage is the fact the electricians came out and checked it and said it's a little high, that statement could mean anything.

A power conditioner will not help for increased voltage, all they do is help with voltage surges and also reduce interference from fridges and lights being switched on, i know because i have one, they will not help if the voltage is consistently very high.

If the problem gets worse at certain times of the year and certain times of the day then it's another clue and may help, it might be something in the area that opened and uses equipment which is causing your problem.

A good read below, i wonder if a new factory opened near you in April 2013.

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/voltage-optimisation.html

I wonder if your apartment building has one of those voltage transformers and it's faulty and maybe everyone in the building gets this issue, this is why contacting neighbours and seeing if they experience your problems would be a good idea.

Isn't there a line or power conditioner though that blocks or chokes out RFI and EMI? I've seen some listed that make those claims.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
NEOCP30 said:
Isn't there a line or power conditioner though that blocks or chokes out RFI and EMI? I've seen some listed that make those claims.
Yes, they are rated at different levels, from level 1 to level 4, here is an example of a level 4 one, not cheap but comes with voltage protection. The one below is discontinued but offers better voltage regulation than the 5300 model.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SXWGAG/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p23_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1DJ7X3Z86ZFKYWJKR0VH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

NEOCP30

Agent
Real Name
Nick
Thanks for everyones help! I'm gonna look into this Voltage Regulator and if that doesn't work, a line conditioner or a similar device.

By the way FoxyMulder, what do you think it says for my equipment that the only glitch here is strictly visual? That my motherboard and all other PC components are in good shape with no damage or shutoffs, I am still getting Windows 7 updates delivered to me as usual, no blue screens, my t.v.s and pc's are not shutting off by themselves. no burning smells which indicates nothing is fried, etc?

Normally when power spikes happen or too much voltage there's all sorts of damage, but as far as I can tell........my PC is in tip top shape. From the memory, to the hard drive, to everything. I can still use it for hours upon hours in a day except staring at this anomaly on the screen gets visually taxing at times if I am not sitting at an angle. I can open browser windows, use the internet, browse, download videos, upload videos, torrent files, play videos, charge devices in usb, perform system restores, play games like candy crush, with no problem. I can still browse resource intensive sites like Twitter, Gmail, and Facebook and certain blogs that have tons of ads and flash stuff. Everything that's problematic is VISUAL.

As for my t.v., my cable box operates like normal. The clock is still showing, it still receives updates from our service provider during the 2 am to 4 am hours. I can still watch DVD's on my t.v. and even though the anomaly shows up when I am watching DVD's the player still works and functions as normal. I can still pull up the cable channel guide, and change channels and all that stuff. So outside of this visual oddity? ALL of my components are operating at 100% functionality.

Would that signal any sort of clue as to what the issue is?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks