What's new

"this friday" vs. "next friday".... (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all - help me settle a bet. ;)

okay, so if i tell you all that we're going to the movies next friday, which friday does that mean to you?

A. the friday of this current week
B. the friday of the following week

to me, next friday means the following week. otherwise i would simply say this friday.

yep, i'm still bored...

ted

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all - help me settle a bet. ;)

okay, so if i tell you all that we're going to the movies next friday, which friday does that mean to you?

A. the friday of this current week
B. the friday of the following week

to me, next friday means the following week. otherwise i would simply say this friday.

yep, i'm still bored...

ted

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I agree.

This Friday = the current week

Next Friday = the following week

If people are still confused, I throw in the date. (no, I meant the 25th, etc.)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I agree.

This Friday = the current week

Next Friday = the following week

If people are still confused, I throw in the date. (no, I meant the 25th, etc.)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
What about on Monday when you say "Last weekend." Does that refer to the weekend that just ended, or the one before that?

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
What about on Monday when you say "Last weekend." Does that refer to the weekend that just ended, or the one before that?

RobR

Second Unit

I've heard people meant either way. But I'd be more specific and say "this past weekend" to mean the weekend that just ended.

RobR

Second Unit

I've heard people meant either way. But I'd be more specific and say "this past weekend" to mean the weekend that just ended.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Same here, next Friday used to closest one in the future for me.

But I have come to realize that most people use it the other way (Friday of next week :rolleyes:) so I changed it, although I am still not sold on it. But whaddayagonnado, to communicate with people, you have to speak their language...

--
H

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Same here, next Friday used to closest one in the future for me.

But I have come to realize that most people use it the other way (Friday of next week :rolleyes:) so I changed it, although I am still not sold on it. But whaddayagonnado, to communicate with people, you have to speak their language...

--
H

Todd K

Second Unit
the friday of this coming week may be "the next friday" (to come down the pike), but there are rules that define these things.

There is This Friday and Next Friday. Think of them as a contraction of this (week's) friday and next (week's) friday.

The weekend is a bit more of a grey area.

Todd K

Second Unit
the friday of this coming week may be "the next friday" (to come down the pike), but there are rules that define these things.

There is This Friday and Next Friday. Think of them as a contraction of this (week's) friday and next (week's) friday.

The weekend is a bit more of a grey area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks