What's new

This Film Is Not Yet Rated is Not Yet Anamorphic? (1 Viewer)

Kelly W

Second Unit
I'm surprised to see no threads about this yet, but despite what I've read in several online reviews, the DVD of This Film Is Not Yet Rated is presented in non-anamorphic widescreen.

The back of the box reads:This is 2007, right? I'm disappointed with the transfer of this otherwise great DVD.

Where's the anger? Where's the uproar? Does nobody care since this is "just" a documentary?

Any thoughts?

-Kelly

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
It was a smaller company that released it, wasn't it? I rented it from Netflix and thought it was one they made themselves. It SHOULD have been anamorphic though.

As for the film, the topic was a worthy one, but I thought it was just a terrible film. It felt rushed, poorly focused, and the director even disproved his own theories.

I pretty much hated the film since they had a great opportunity and blew it. More focus should have been on the problems with the ratings board, the way violence and sex are treated differently, than the childish MPAA stalking.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I was also very surprised (and annoyed since my copy was already in the mail) to find out the DVD was non-anamorphic. This is simply not acceptable in 2007.

The layer change sucked, too. I think the disc isn't RSDL which means that depending on the player the change can take a couple of seconds, similar to the Bridge on the River Kwai DVD.

All in all, a very shoddy release from a technical standpoint.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

But then at the end, when faced with an NC-17, he badgers the MPAA for the names of who will be rating the film. This scene alone shows you exactly why they are kept secret.

You don't think that if the names of the raters were out there, some Hollywood producer would bribe them to get a rating he wanted? The way Dick was talking on the phone, this would seem to be exactly his plan from the MPAA's perspective. And, you can see exactly why the MPAA keeps that info private.

The MPAA are like jurors. You can't have the defense attorneys contacting them to talk about the case. You have to keep them secret, or sequestered in important cases.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That's perfectly consistent with the role he's assumed as challenger and provocateur, and it obviously took that kind of aggressive approach to get anything changed. If you read the list of changes to the ratings procedure announced by the MPAA, they're still withholding the identity of raters, but they're addressing numerous shortcomings exposed by this documentary. The two most important, IMO, are allowing filmmakers to cite scenes from other films in defense of a less restrictive rating and including people on the appeals board that don't come from the industry. These are major changes that are the direct result of the documentary.

M.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
IFC will be playing the movie this saturday, march 31.
if you had not had a chance to watch it yet.
I rented it through netflix too.
Jacob

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

I believe it also had the text "may be too intense for younger children" associated with the rating.

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrossAtlantic
Recent bookmarks