This ever happen to you? (boastful neighbor)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott L, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Just moved in to a new place, guy next door comes over and starts jabber-jawin with my roommates and me. He's kind of an oddball, laughingly asking if we're "Mormons or something." [​IMG] He's also one of those guys that likes to walk away while talking loudly, like he's got something more important to do. Next thing I know he's inviting us to his Superbowl party and boasts about his big 42" plasma.

Now I could've said, "That's pretty cool, can you help me move this 92" screen for my digital projector?" or, "We almost got something like that but settled on a 50" SXRD." But me, being a good neighbor, said, 'Whoa!! That's sweet!'

Not knocking on plasma owners or anything, we were really about to get one. I know some of you have been in this situation before, did you bite your tongue or not?

2. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

This isn't really the same situation, but here goes.

Just the other day, someone was boasting to me about how he finally hooked up an Xbox via S-Video to get the most out of the picture quality. It was kind of hard telling him that there are two other imputs (component and HDMI) that are actually higher quality. I figured I had to tell him though because I figured he'd be able to really get the best out of his picture that way.

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    These are the same guys that will boast about their HTIB thinking that it is just that awesome.

I just think, well, ignorance is bliss and if they ever want to check out my gear I'll be happy to give them a demo.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i think because they have the best model htib at best buy, they think they have the best there is. nothing wrong with htib if that's all you can afford, or you dont want anything more expensive/better, but some guys think they have the greatest there is. apart from my receiver and ld player, nothing in my ht is high end at all, and mine easily trumps any htib. i usually remain silent, unless the guy is a jerk about it and i want to prove a point. i'd have to say most of my neighbors are pretty cool about things though.

CJ

5. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I always take the high road on matters like these. My next door neighbor in FL used the price of *EVERYTHING* as the adjective. Outside of that, he was a nice guy.

I'm not a "Keep up with the Joneses" kind of guy, but I do buy more than my fair share of stuff. The difference is, I'm looking for "better stuff," not "stuff that's better than yours."