What's new

"this device is working properly"-but it's not...(help with video card) (1 Viewer)

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
all right, i have been going through hell trying to reinstall everything on my computer ever since the big virus uproar. i have everything working again except the video card. i go to device manager and it says everything is working properly. i need a capturing device; i liked the one i had before. it was an ati one. i tried downloading it from the website but it said i didnt have the hardware. my friend installed the video card and he swears it is an ATI all in wonder 128. i look at the device manager and it says it's a "3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X"...i looked that one up at the site and there are a few LIKE it, but none that say, verbatim, "3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X." but the thing is, the capture software i downloaded wasn't just for one video card, but many, if not all ATI cards. sorry for all these stupid questions, they just seem ridiculously simple for pay a technician for, and i thought you guys could give me some great advice. thank you.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Does your video card actually have video capture abilities? Like, is there a video-input plug on it? If it only has the SVGA output, then your card definitely will not be able to capture video from an external source.

What is the actual model of the ATI card in your box? The best way to find out is to read the text written on the video card. Take it out of the computer, and look.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
If I have this right your video card has two sets of drivers. One is for the video card and the 2nd set is for the video capture, so 3d rage could be correct.

You could remove this item on your system info and reboot. Then load up the software. It should load up the main drivers first, and then send you to a 2nd program for the capture part.

Glenn

CarlDJr

Stunt Coordinator
Sam,
The drivers are not "universal", you need to download the drivers specific to your card.
I checked the ATi site. In the link below you will need to select your OS in the first box, then select your card in the second box (scroll down to "ALL IN WONDER 128 PRO").
Be sure to read ALL the info they give about the driver choices on the page that will come up.
Link Removed
Hope this helps.:)

Jeff Lehr

Stunt Coordinator
Is that "3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X" a separate card or integrated video on the motherboard? If it's integrated AGP, you should be able to disable it through the BIOS.
Then you should be able to see your ATI card show up in the Device Manager.

JL

CarlDJr

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

Good suggestion. It didn't occur to me that there might have been onboard video. Just goes to show that it helps to think "outside the box" once in awhile.

:b

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
the video card is not integrated...but i am still confused as to why my friend is certain that it is an all in wonder, but the computer, when reformated, searched for driver information, and uncovered the 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X...:confused:
Be sure to read ALL the info they give about the driver choices on the page that will come up.
i've looked through these before, i downloaded the all in wonder one and it just said it wasn't properly installed...unless i downloaded the wrong thing-i WAS pretty confused from the website. could it be possible that the all in wonder 128 is too old for 2000? why would the computer tell me it was a rage pro? too weird...

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
...and on a more detailed explanation of the error message that pops up when i try to install the all in wonder 128 capture software, a window titled "severe" pops up and it says "setup was not able to detect ATI hardware"...

finally got around to opening the thing up and taking a look for myself.

AIWPRO

verbatim, what it says. i downloaded the aiw pro software...same thing.

CarlDJr

Stunt Coordinator
Sam,
Going from the W2000 drivers list of supported cards you shouldn't be having any problem even if it were only a Rage 128 Pro.
Link Removed
Just to be sure, did you read the Release Notes for the drivers?
Link Removed
Just out of curiosity, what motherboard do you have?
If all else fails, I would give ATi tech support a call. I had a problem that I couldn't solve and they walked me through the troubleshooting and fix.
Keep plugging away!
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks