What's new

This CS 3.6. Outdated speakers? (1 Viewer)

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
I went to a shop yesterday, bought myself a very nice Mccormack DNA 0.5 used. Anyway, the salesman had a Thiel 3.6 used for sale, the "claimed" price was $3300, here in Brazil high-end is very expensive so do not be freaked out by the price tag. I can talk the guy out to $2500, I believe, not less.

Anyway, I was very impressed with these speakers, the bass was so good... I'd never ask for more if I get these. I was wondering what is you guys take on it. Is it outdated? Are there better bang for the buck stuff out there? Will I get a comparable result with a bookshelf Dynaudio+ Rel Strata II subwoofer?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Speakers depend on your tastes and room. The 3.6s are an old design, perhaps around 10 yrs. and from what I understand Jim Thiel is working on the design of 3.7s which may be out about a year from now. I actually have not heard the 3.6s as the local dealer has not carried them for a couple of years. The most expensive part of any speaker is the cabinet. Magnepan 1.6s are under $2k as are Vandersteen 2Cs brand new. I like Thiels and Rels (I have 7.2s, + other Thiels in the main system and 4 Rels) and your budget is also a factor. The newer model Thiels tend to be a bit less amp taxing than the older ones. Only you can decide whether floorstanders or bookshelves are right for you and your situation. Don't forget that the bookshelves require a surface to place them on and good stands are not cheap either. The most important thing to decide is what will work with your room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks