1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

this *can't* be good.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I bought the pup (6 month old springer spaniel) one of those huge "indestructable" nylabones last night before dinner, before I left for work 2 hours later SHE ATE THE WHOLE THING. It was like 12" long, I'm going to be picking up plastic poop for weeks... if she can even go..

2. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I have no idea if this is bad or not. I would guess that the company that makes these "bones" knows they are not REALLY indestructable, and are therefore nontoxic... but perhaps you should call a vet office and ask someone, just to be safe.

EDIT: Just saw Mark's response below... didn't know there was an edible variety. Either way, call the vet's office if you are concerned.

On the plus side, you may be able to make a fortune selling authentic plastic dog poop to novelty stores. [​IMG]

3. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

Nylabone also makes an edible variety that looks similar; my parent's dachsunds go through those in a day or two. It takes my 2yr old border collie/springer mix about 2 months to go through the large hard plastic variety.

4. Curt_Dennis

Curt_Dennis Stunt Coordinator

I had a rot that ate one of those nyla bones. Let me tell you, it wasn't pretty. Might have just been his digestion system, but it exploded from him and it was the messiest thing I have cleaned up to date from anyone or anything. If this happens to you Phillip, I have much sympathy for you because I know it isn't fun.

5. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Just hope he pukes it all up and you don't have to go get surgery to get him unclogged. They don't make Drain-O for dogs.

6. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Too bad you're so far away, Philip; Ex-lap for foreign object removal is one of my favorite surgerys. [​IMG]

So far: fish hooks, golf balls, rocks, panty hose, towels, underwear, tennis shoe sole, chew hoof, aluminum pie pan, tampon, peach pit, linoleum tile. Dogs, you gotta love'em.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Dr. Julian, my goodness. Can't injesting such material be fatal?

8. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

My beagle ate a cordless phone antenna, as well as having a continuing issue with, uh, "feminine hygiene products," and he's never so much as belched from it. Strong stomach, I guess. He'll soon be 10.

Good Luck.

9. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Was it one of these? I can't see how they can eat something like that. That's kind of scary.

10. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Dr Julian, when I worked at a vet in high school I saw a lot of strange things. The most strange was when a scottie ate 3 needles and a whole spool of sewing string. No clue how. But when they opened him up they found the needles stuck inside the intestines and the whole spool of string (not the plastic spool, just the whole wad of string). The owners reaction was total shock when they saw what their dog had ingested.

I can understand the string, but to eat those needles was very strange.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

this one was an edible, they're supposed to last longer than a couple hours though [​IMG] I'm not worried about her, she has a cast iron stomach (luckily for me) I've never seen her get an upset stomach from anything.

keith- the last bone she ate was one of those. nothing left but the knuckle.

She ate a 5 euro bill the other night [​IMG]

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

here's a picture of the little pain in the ass
    www.onlinemac.com/users/philip/charlie.jpg
    I think if she could she'd give me the finger in this picture.

here's a question for you, she likes to wrestle and play rough, which is OK with me, but she likes to bat at me with her paws which are pretty sharp, even the pads are rough enough to leave a nasty scratch. I've tried pushing her paws away and ignoring her, but she doesn't get it. Any ideas? Aside from that she learns pretty fast.

13. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

14. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

15. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Philip:

I think that picture needs a caption...

Yah buddie... I got your plastic poop, RIGHT here....

[​IMG]

Cute pooch though! [​IMG]

As for the wrestling thing, I wouldn't encourage rough-play behaviour. Lots of dog owners view that as undesirable behaviour, especially if young kids around about.

You can always trim down her claws too... not sure if you can do anything about the rough pads though.

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I don't know. We've always had springers, the last one got an upset tummy quite a bit, but they've all been garbage guts. When I was a kid we had a liver and white female (kinda like charlie up there) that liked to eat fresh strawberries off the plant, and raspberries off the vine in our backyard. Made getting some fresh fruit a problem.
    EVERY springer we've had likes to eat grass. Not just a little nibble, I mean full on run out into the yard and rip big clumps out and eat them.
    dogs are so strange..

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

18. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    This could be an Urban Legend, but since it came from my vet, I'll pass it along.

He warned me against getting nylon bones because some dogs have been known to eat them, swallowing them in large chunks. The large pieces of nylon can plug the dog's gut, and if the condition isn't fixed surgically, the dog will eventually die. The killer part of it is that vets can't diagnose this condition easily since the nylon chunks in the dog's gut are no more or no less transparent to X-rays than flesh. In other words, the nylon won't show up on an X-ray, and the vets simply have to guess why the dog is constipated. Laxatives are often prescribed, but they don't help. Only after the dog has died do the vets discover the nylon in the dog's intestines in a post-mortem examination.

After reading this thread, I think the rot mentioned earlier was lucky the nylon was small enough to pass.

19. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Maybe apply mineral oil on her pads to keep them soft?

20. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer