This bites.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

First my Behringer Feedback Destroyer that I've been waiting for over 3 weeks for arrives. They don't bother to phone my cell, so by the time I get home for the message it's too late to go pick it up. Oh well, one more day not a big deal. Then tonight my receiver decides to die. It's a year out of warranty. I wonder how much it will cost to fix [​IMG]

Can't be the fuse as the displays all still work and it responds to the remote. Isn't in protection mode (unless the display of that mode doesn't work). Just no freakn audio.

Worst part is I'm looking at getting a higher end used receiver anyways, and now I have to bite into the money I'd make selling the old one fixing it. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

It could still be the fuse, they might not put the whole thing on one fuse circuts. Its likely that the amps would be separated from the more sensitive electonics.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Don't know why, but it's working again this morning. Either flipping back and forth between DVD and Video1 a whole bunch of times did it (doubt it). Or something got reset when I turned the main power switch off when it wasn't in standby mode and then turned it back on with the main power switch. Was a little groggy doing this, but I think it was the second one.

Had tried the unplugging it last night but that didn't do anything. Killed the main power a bunch of times too, but always when it was in standby mode.

Strange, but at least it work again (need a half smilie :p))

4. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Dustin, where did you order your BFD from?

Is there a Canadian Distributor out West? I see Behringer Canada has a Nova Scotia Area Code.

What did you wind up paying for the unit?

I have a horrible room peaks at 78 and 38 Hz that the BFD should be able to help with.

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Dustin, I have the same thing happen with my Yamaha RX-V1. Every now and then I turn it on and get no sound except if I use the 5.1 inputs. Everything else works fine, the display indicates the proper source and video switching works. It just doesn't send from the DSP board to the amplifiers. It comes back to life after I twiddle with it a bit, but I can't figure out exactly what's causing it. If it gets worse I'll take it into the shop, but there's not much point since I can't force the problem.

6. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Can I ask one thing, why you are using a feedback destroyer in a hi-fi setup, as you are not doing live audio and not using microphones hence no feedback, well unless you're using a turntable but even then. A feedback destroyer does exactly as it says destroys feedback created at a certain frequency(s) in a live application by the microphone and speakers/monitors creating. If you're planning on using this in home to eliminate noise/hum/etc it will most likely not work for you.....but like I said I dont know what you plan on using it for so please enlighten me?

7. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

Jeremy - the BFD has a built-in 12/24 band parametric qualizer. No one is using it for the Feedback Destroying, they are using it for the EQ. It is a very good EQ for 120 Hz and below. Above that it is reported to noticeably degrade the sound quality.

FYI to everyone, I picked mine up at my local Guitar Center for $120. That is the same price I have been seeing at online vendors.

Here is the faq on how it is used.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Phone your local music shops. I'm getting mine from Long & McQuade. $229CDN, but since they took so long I'm hoping to talk them down a bit when I go to pick it up after work today.

The BFD gets rid of that feedback by using parametric EQ bands. You can also manually assign them. So the BFD is also a cheap way to get a pretty good quality parametric EQ for taming response problems with your sub into your system. Which is what I'll be using it for.

9. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Within the FAQ that kevitra mentioned is a link to a guy named Bob Ulius who sells the BFD DSP1124 for $120 shipped. I got mine from him directly.

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

K, this bites again. Watching some TV while I eat, after words I started getting stuff hooked up. Just before I go to turn it off to start making the connections to the BFD it dies. Pull it out and take the cover off to check the fuse and see if anything is really obviously wrong. Fuse ain't the problem and nothing else is obviously wrong. After I put it back together it starts working again. Get the BFD hooked up and get about half way through the Matrix Lobby shooting spree trying to set the input level. Dies.

Grrrr [​IMG] Now it will be another day becuase I didn't take it to the repair shop today.

11. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Dustin, you may want to do some research and see if others have had this problem with the same receiver you have. If its a known problem and can easily be reproduced it'd be a good idea to let the shop know. Otherwise they could just look it over and tell you they couldn't find a problem. That'd really suck especially if they sit on it for a week or two like some shops do.

12. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

It's an Onkyo TX-DS575. I did a quick search on Onkyo in this forum and on google and nothing jumped out. Anybody know of an issue with Onkyo receivers from 3 years ago?

13. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

14. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

I also searched around the net and was unable to find many problems with the 575 on most sites, however, Audioreview.com had a bunch of complaints from people of the 'hissing' problem, as well as unit slowly dying bit by bit, starting with no output, then some getting output after repeated switching of the source switches.
    Start at the bottom of the reviews and work up:
    http://www.audioreview.com/A-V+Recei...0_2718crx.aspx

Since you opened it and it worked again when you put it back together, have you tried the 'drop test'. Let it run and pick up a corner a half an inch and let er rip. Maybe you can identify something that has broken free. Hard to imagine with a 3 year old unit. Could be a solder joint has come apart from heat over the years. Could be in either the Stdby or On switch, yadda yadda.

The problem with it going into the shop (I'm an Elec. Tech. BTW) with an intermittent problem is it may sit there for a long time before it gets fixed due to the person not being able to track it down (as per Keiths response) if he can't replicate what happens at your house.

Good luck though. Thanks for the info re the BFD. the Okanagan is the 'sticks' for Music shops, but 'The Axe' in Calgary has them for what you paid (sounds to be CDN Retail). I'll be dropping in on my next visist to 'Alberia'.

As an aside, have you been to these sites for BFD stuff:

http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm
    http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/frdgroup.htm

15. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

16. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well when I was just watching TV it would take quite a while to die. But after it died the first time it wouldn't take long the second time. And it took a minute or two when I was playing the Matrix Ch29 at 5dB under reference.

I assume you Tech's have a way to run amps near peak output to test for heat problems? If you do, I'm sure it won't take long for the tech to replicate.

I dropped it off today. I'll let you know what happens a week or two from now [​IMG]

PS - Thanks for the links but I have seen both before. Pretty famaliar with Anthony from the DIY area [​IMG]

17. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

just another place to search for information on onkyo products from people who own them:

www.hometheaterspot.com

has a forum with like 5k posts, just on onkyo products...

that website is a great place to look up specific questions about specific low - mid systems...

good luck

Rich