This Algebra II is killing me

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Van Patton, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

On my recent report card I had all B's, one A, and an F in Algebra II. This stuff is so useless and makes no sense whatsoever. I am glad I have been exposed to it but in reality you can only use this in theory, IMHO. I asked my father, who is an appraiser and has a widely recognized reputation for being one of the best in the area, if he ever uses this and he said no. My mom said the same thing, but I can expect it coming from a supervisor of clerks. Unless I am going to be a rocket scientist or somebody who is an author of math books, then this is ultimately useless. Do I stand alone here?

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I would say that calculus has a pretty small chance of being applied in your career, but stuff like algebra and trigonometry is used everyday.

Just some of the fields that I can name that will use Algebra/Trig are:

Business

IT/MIS

Architecture

Construction/Engineering (lots of calculus too)

Logistics/Operations

Computer Science/Programming

etc.

Unless you're going to work in foodservice (and not be a manager), its a pretty important subject.

4. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

^True. As much as you may not like it, Algebra, geometry, and trigonometry are all important math courses you should have a fairly good grasp of. It can definitely help financially and for a plethora of other things.

5. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Hell you can use some basic trig just in playing putt putt or pool.

6. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I used to hate math. I was OK at it in high school, but then totally ignored it (save for the minimum requirements) in college.

I really wish I hadn't.

You may think that the math you are studying is ulitmately useless, but it's not. By learning algebra II, you are building a base of mathematical knowledge that will allow you to go to many other places.

Math, especially math that you reach when you start getting beyond algebra, is a wonderful tool for exercising your mind and understanding the world around you. I don't mean to sound like an after-school special, but learning math really teaches you how to think in a different way. I've been becoming more and more interested in math, and I really regret not driving myself harder in my math studies.

Van, I know what you're going through, but don't let it beat you down. You may not always get the best grades, but it will be worth it to lay that foundation. Right now I feel that I could go back and really ace those math courses because I have become a better thinker and a better student. And if I can make the time for it, I plan to go back and take some math courses just out of interest.

So keep studying, ask for help, get a tutor, don't freak out about your grades, but just keep at it. It's worth it in the end.

7. Matt MacFarlane

Matt MacFarlane Stunt Coordinator

Algebra and Trigonometry yes, but I think that Geometry is a waste of time. I don't want to sit there and write out proofs proving that my answer is right, and memorize all the rules that i will never use again in my life.

8. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

9. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I must agree with Julie 100%. I use math everyday, especially algebra and geometry. Also, math is the core of everything else. If you plan on going to college you are bound to take *some* class that requires math. Obviously physics, chemistry, and biology are heavily based on math, but even subjects like psychology and sociology have math in them. You just can't escape it. I know its difficult now but you'll do yourself a disservice by not learning it now. You can put it off to college where you'll have to pay in both money and time or you can try to get it out of the way now while its free. [​IMG]

10. Chris Rosene

Chris Rosene Second Unit

It's not just the "math" part that is extremely valuable - it is the problem solving skills that really apply to everyday life. Math teaches a methodical approach to solving all kinds of problems that no other discipline in school does.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

12. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I was extremely bored with Geometry, but since we didn't really do much, I didn't learn much that I didn't already know.

This year, I'm LOVING Algebra 2 (round here, we call it Advanced Algebra, and I'm in the Honors class). We just got done with Conics a month ago (which I ABSOLUTELY LOVED) and now we're doing something with weird systems and such. Easy stuff, and I actually enjoy it.

The saddest thing about my post is that its all true. I love math a LOT and have been able to get As and Bs pretty much since forever in it.

14. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

What the hell is Algebra II?
    I will vouch for the usefulness of math, but again I would say that (Electrical Engineer) [​IMG]
    Even if you do not choose a techinical field, you will gaina lot of problem solving skills by studying math.
    --
    Holadem

15. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I am a Rocket Scientist for Lockheed Martin Missiles and Space and I only use only the most basic formulas.....what do you think computers are for?????

Memorization is useless, understand the basics and you can figure everything else out

16. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Allow me to weigh in with my .02 here boys and girls,

bottom line: the ability to solve math problems will make you smarter.

You may argue that you'll never use differential calculus in everyday life, but you will gain ancillary benefits that will be used your entire life.

The point of learning and succeeding in Geometry, Trig, Algebra, analytical geometry, calculus, differential equations, etc. etc. etc. is not to use logarithims to do your taxes, but rather to expand your mind the way reading and writing expands your mind.

With all respect and as much encouragement as I can offer: just do it, and stop complaining. Your brain will thank you for it !

Good Luck.

A.W.C.

Civil Engineer

17. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Grant,
    Computers are great, but someone has to program them and check the answers. Disasters occur when people trust a computer's answer because "it's from the computer!"
    While most things can be derived from the basics, you must first have a good grounding in the basics and have had examples of such derivations drilled into your head. That's what the schools are trying to do with these folks here. I've also been in situations where there is no time to derive relationships from basic principles, so it's good to have a bit more than the basics memorized.

18. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

19. Scott Diedrick

When are you ever going to use Algebra II. I can tell you when I used it.

After I got past Algebra II and Geometry I used them for Trigonometry class. Trig was very useful in my Calculus class. Calculus got my through high school. Then I wanted to be a computer programmer. Well, guess what. Then meant I could use my Calculus to learn Vector Calculus and Differential Equations. They were pre-reqs for the math you had to take as a CS major: Linear Algebra. After that I still needed a science credit so I had to dig out my now old Vector Cal and Diff Eq knowledge to use in my Partial Differential Equations class. You see, all this math you are learning today is useful for at least another 6 to 8 years. No since then I haven’t used much of it. I used a lot of Geometry and Linear Algebra in my graphics programming. But that is about it. Oh, once I had to help and intern at work with their Calculus homework.

Now, my sister is in advertising and all the math she would every need she learned well before Algebra I. I guess it depends on what you want to do.

20. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So