This a good price for a Paradigm CC-170?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I went to my local Paradigm dealer today to look at a center channel to match my Titans. I knew that the CC-70 was too small so I asked for price on the CC-170. The salesperson informed me that the price was $200, is this a fair price.
    The salesperson also said that if I planned on replacing the Titans(in the front) with some of the larger speakers in the Monitor series I may want to consider the CC-270($289). Is this a fair price for the 270 and assuming I passed on the 270 would I regret if I bought a pair of Monitor 7s for the front?

2. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

i paid $200 for my cc-170. its standard retail price.

3. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

Actually, the CC-370 should be paired with anything from the moniter line. The 270 covers the high end performance stuff (focus, legend, phantom).

I don't think you would regret sticking with 170, but I don't think the 370 is too much more. When do you plan on upgrading to the moniter 7s? IF its soon, Id say grab the 370, but if not, the 170 should be fine.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    About a month ago just paid $269 for a V3 270 brand new, because I didn't want to wait any longer for a 370. I agree with Nick, if you are going to upgrade to the Monior line soon, I'd just go with a 370. If you aren't planning on upgrading very soon, I'd go for the 270. I also have a 170 as a rear center, and it is not bad for $200 MSRP, (which is what I paid 2-1/2 yrs ago too).

I have Monitor 5s and the 270 blends fine with them, but it uses the same drivers as the Performance line, not the Monitor line, as Nick mentioned.

Check out Audiogon.com, there is a V3 170 for $145 + $10 shipping, and a 370 for $295 + actual shipping

5. Justin Ward

I'm not too worried about upgrading the mains yet. My Titans do well in my small room. However, when I do upgrade I will probably get the Monitor 5 or 7. The center is the only one I am going to upgrade in the near future because the little Kenwood center channel I am using quite frankly brings down the sound of the rest of the system.

Looking at the Paradigm website I am even more confused. It says the tweeter in the 270 is 25mm(3/4) inch. It seems to contradict itself, what is the official measurement? The 370 seems to have worse frequency response extension than the 270 so wouldn't the 270 be better? How much can I expect to pay for the 370 over the 270? Would the 270 be a good compromise between the 170 and 370? I think the 270 and 370 would look ridiculuous on my tiny 25 inch TV but who cares, as long as it sounds good!

I am in rush for information as my subwoofer project is just getting underway(sending out the money order for the Tempest tomorrow!) and it will be awhile before I upgrade.

6. John Garcia

John
    The 270 and 370 are actually physically identical, and they are quite a bit larger than the 170 (not much wider, but a lot taller and deeper). The 270 does use a 1" tweeter, but it is a ceramic/metal composite vs titanium.

The numbers for the 370 do not appear to be accurate, and numbers alone do not tell the whole story anyway. The Titan and Mini Monitor have very similar specs as well, but the Mini is easily a better speaker when it comes to music.

Yes, the 270 is a good compromise.

7. John Garcia

John
    I gave my dealer a call, they had one 370, and I exchanged my 270 for it (paid for difference) [​IMG] I am starting the break-in it in right now with Diana Krall: Live in Paris.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

This was a while ago, but I had a friend who was quoted $260 or $280 for a V2 CC370 (he also purchased a Marantz SR7000 and v2 Monitor 7 towers from this dealer).

9. John Garcia

John
    While I was there, I did a brief audition of the new 7s and 5s with a DA4ES and a CA70ES, analog direct. To me, the 5s didn't sound vastly different from the V2s, but I didn't really put them through their paces. The 7s actually sounded a bit boomy, but that could be room related as well. I didn't have time to move them around, nor did I have any good demo CDs on me because I wasn't planning on auditioning.

$260 would be pretty good for a V2 270 if it was brand new. There's one on Audiogon for $270, but there is also a Studio CC for $350...

10. Justin Ward

Once I move up to the 370 I am spending more money than I hoped do. I am thinking the 170 may be a little small if I get Monitor fronts. I think I will save up a little and get the 270. Do most Paradigm dealers allow trade-ins on speakers(if I do decide to move up to the 370)?

Heres another question. Is there an difference between the Monitor 5 and 7? They seem to be identical other than the fact that the 7 is a floorstander has a slightly better low-range extension. Is there any reason not to buy the less expensive Monitor 5s? The only reason I can think off is that the 7s are front ported so they can go closer to a wall.

11. Charles M Berry

Charles M Berry Stunt Coordinator

I paid $189.00 (USD) for my cc-170 about a year ago. At the time I had Titans up front, and have since then upgraded to Monitot 7's v.2s. Per your question, I think most Paradigm dealers do offer a full trade up within one year. I applied the full cost of the titans towards the 7's after 11 months at my local dealer. (New England Hi-Fi in southern Maine) You may be able to do the same.

As for the larger cc-270 and 370, I'm not so sure this is necessay. I mean, since most of us run the center channel set to small, and the center speaker primarily handles dialogue and very specific sound effects like the shattering of glass, I don't know as if the center needs to go all the way down. As long as you buy a hi quality center (which the cc-170 is), I think you could save some money and not initially buy the cc-370.

In my experience, the cc-170 matches perfectly with the monitor 7's. Also, if you were able to purchase from a dealer that allowed trade-ups, you could try the 170 out for a year and then spend the extra dough as you saw fit.

As far as comparing the 5's to the 7's. I say, go for the sevens. By the time you figure in the cost of stands, you might as well be buying the much better speaker. I think that the 5's are a good example of product overlap, something that the Paradigm lines seem to be suffer more and more from.

To to summarize, buy the cc-170 and apply the money saved to the monitor 7's. I have the v2's, which look great, but the 7v3's are even sexier!!!!

Hope this helps.

12. Justin Ward

13. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Oops, forgot to mention that was CDN dollars in my post above.

14. John Garcia

John
    The 170 is a decent center, but it always sounded a bit boxy to me, which is why I picked up the 270. Once a bit broken in, the 270 did better than the 170, but still wasn't quite as clean as the 370. It's about the same difference between the Titans and Minis.

The 7 is not a much better speaker than the 5. They are nearly identical, and I actually prefer the 5s to the 7s, but to each their own. I don't think there is any overlap between the two at all, which is why the 5s went from floorstander to large bookshelf.

15. Justin Ward

What do you mean by boxy? I notice that my Titans sound good overall but the sound seems trapped in the box like some others have said. It doesn't really bug me much but is this what you mean by boxy?

The biggest thing holding me back from the 270/370 is not the price but the hugeness. It dwarfs my puny 25 inch TV.

16. John Garcia

John
    It's kind of hard to describe, but "trapped" sounds about right. I notice it more with the 170 than the Titans. It isn't a big deal, because I only really notice it with some multi channel music, because with movies it sounds just fine.

I would imagine the 270 to be about the same width as the average 25" TV.

17. Justin Ward

According to my measurements the 170 would overhang by about an inch wider than my TV and the 270 a little more. I don't think an inch of overhang is bad, or will affect the sound. I think I am going to try the 170 and upgrade if I am not satisfied.

18. Charles M Berry

Charles M Berry Stunt Coordinator

John G.

19. Justin Ward

The "trapped" sound is kind of hard to describe. It doesn't seem to affect the quality of sound, just where I percieve it to be coming from. It is almost like the sound is not being "thrown" out of the speaker(for lack of a better description. It only bugs me with some music, but in movies I never notice it.

20. John Garcia

John
    I don't find the tweeter to be the issue, it does fine. The way I would describe it is, I can "hear" the enclosure. I don't know if it is a dispersion issue, which is somewhat common for horizontal MTM (mid-tweeter-mid) speaker designs, or if it is a characteristic of placement or the enclosure design or what. It has a similar lack of smoothness in the lower midrange, that I find noticable for music. With movies, even dialogue intense ones, I don't find it distracting at all.
    I've had no problem with the 170 for a long time, so I am not saying the 170 is a bad speaker, because it is not, and it does blend well with the Monitor line. I still have my 170 serving duty as my rear center now [​IMG]. For ~$200, I think it will work just fine, and is matched very well for the Titans, which are what I was originally using with it.
    I don't think it would match up well with Studios for a front stage at all though.