What's new

Thirteen Lives (2022)

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: Thirteen Lives (2022)

Tagline: 5000 People, 17 Countries, 1 Miracle… That United the World.

Genre: Drama, Thriller

Director: Ron Howard

Cast: Viggo Mortensen, Colin Farrell, Joel Edgerton, Sukollawat Kanarot, Theerapat Sajakul, Sahajak Boonthanakit, Vithaya Pansringarm, Teeradon Supapunpinyo, Nophand Boonyai, Tom Bateman, Paul Gleeson, Lewis Fitz-Gerald, Paula Garcia

Release: 2022-07-29

Runtime: 142

Plot: A dramatization of the rescue of a boys soccer team from an underground cave in Thailand.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
BEST. FILM. I'VE. SEEN. ALL. YEAR!

Run, do not walk, to your TV and stream 'Thirteen Lives'! Free on Amazon Prime!

I don't know how this one has gone under the radar. I didn't even learn of the film until 2 days ago.

Wow, wow, wow! 6 out of 5 stars! :)

Mark

spshultz

Second Unit
Real Name
John Ratzen
My wife and I watched this over the weekend and were completely blown away. I remember this being in the news but we were in the middle of moving several states away and so didn't follow it at all.

None-the-less this movie was absolutely, 100% fantastic. Probably the best movie I've seen all year. I recommend anyone on the fence about watching it, definitely go watch it.

My home theater is down for the moment and so had to watch this on a much, much smaller screen and yet it STILL had my wife and I on the edge of our seats.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
How much tension can there be? We already know the ending.
I'm claustrophobic. It was hard to watch just based on that.
Then you have small children being tied up and knocked out to be rescued and it was nightmare inducing for me.
I've watched the documentary on Disney+ and followed the real news as it unfolded but this movie captured a lot of emotion. Ron Howard needs recognition for this.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Then you have small children being tied up and knocked out to be rescued
and it was nightmare inducing for me. I've watched the documentary on Disney+ and followed the real news as it unfolded but this movie captured a lot of emotion. Ron Howard needs recognition for this.

Re the part I put in spoiler tags in your comment... I was NOT aware that that happened when the event unfolded back in 2018. It was a surprise when I learned about it in the film. So, you might want to consider spoiler-tagging your own comment.

Mark

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Indeed that is a huge spoiler and a great shock when I learned it in the movie for the first time. Should not be said in the open not to ruin the movie for people. Absolutely amazing amazing movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Re the part I put in spoiler tags in your comment... I was NOT aware that that happened when the event unfolded back in 2018. It was a surprise when I learned about it in the film. So, you might want to consider spoiler-tagging your own comment.

Mark
Indeed that is a huge spoiler and a great shock when I learned it in the movie for the first time. Should not be said in the open not to ruin the movie for people. Absolutely amazing amazing movie.
I added a spoiler!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
So, you were completely bored during:

• Titanic
• Apollo 13
• Chernobyl
• Dunkirk
• The Impossible

??

If so, you have my sympathies.

Mark
I also know how every retelling of the story of Christ ends.
I also know how every Tarzan and Hoppie movie ends. They never die. As a child I kept hoping they would so I'd be surprised.

Bernard McNair

Second Unit
Real Name
Bernard McNair
We watched Thirteen Lives on Prime last night and thought that it was a wonderful film. We followed the actual events in detail in Australia and found the film had us engrossed till they very end. I learnt a couple of new facts from the film which added to my admiration of the actual rescue.
I hope this film is remembered at Oscar time next year as I believe that it was film making at the highest level of excellence and certainly one of the best films to date this year.

Joe Wong

Screenwriter
Finally saw this tonight. A great and gripping film that belongs to the same class of real-life rescue dramas such as Alive and Apollo 13, where there is no "villain" per se, while showing the depths of the human spirit and ingenuity.

Kudos to Ron Howard, who I consider more of a workman-like director rather than a great one, but who excels in recreating these real-life dramas (eg., Apollo 13).

Joe Wong

Screenwriter
Then you have small children being tied up and knocked out to be rescued and it was nightmare inducing for me.
I've watched the documentary on Disney+ and followed the real news as it unfolded but this movie captured a lot of emotion. Ron Howard needs recognition for this.

I agree with the emotional aspect. Although I knew the outcome, the way the film captures the hopes and fears of the trapped kids and their coach, the rescuers, the parents, the govt officials, the volunteers, etc... was very well done.

I was especially struck by the coach's dilemma... feeling the guilt at having led his kids into this horrible situation, but also showing amazing spirit, mental strength and leadership to keep the kids together throughout their ordeal. I thought he was as much a hero as anyone in the rescue effort.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nothing to add except to say it’s really good and it’s too bad it didn’t get a proper theatrical release. I hope it doesn’t get lost on Prime.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jktemp
Recent bookmarks