Thirteen days - Where was LBJ???

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jason L., Apr 4, 2004.

1. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

[c]NOTE: I didn't put this in the Movies thread because of the Historical Value.[/c]

Anyway, I just watched the film and the mountain of extras on this fine DVD.

However, it seemed strange that LBJ wasn't mentioned ONCE anywhere in the film or on the DVD extras.

Sooooo, where the hell was LBJ? Did he and JFK get along?

2. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

The film isn't as factual as it claims to be. LBJ was present at all the big meetings, and JFK's aids played a much larger role in diverting disaster; the film wrongly implies that JFK was the sole mastermind behind solving the crisis.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yet, it can be argued that he was the "best and the brightest" among those who surrounded him as his senior advisers, who themselves were described as being composed of the "best and the brightest."

Jason, there are numerous books out there that can provide you with historical grounding (I recommend Richard Reeve's President Kennedy — it's not an "entertainment," but instead it's superb history). You will note that Lyndon Johnson and John F. Kennedy were political rivals (bitter enemies, actually), and both went after each other in the 1960 primaries. Selecting Johnson as his running mate was a shrewd move intended to shore up support for Kennedy in the South as well as to bridge the ideological differences within the Democratic party. (LBJ never let go of his resentment of JFK, and there had been talk of his being removed from the ticket for the 1964 re-election campaign.)

And, yes, Seth is correct when he notes that the glossy entertainment called Thirteen Days plays a bit loosely with the truth (Kostner's O'Donnell played a key role in Excon's success, whereas in real life O'Donnell, while one of JFK's closest confidants, played absolutely no role in the Missile Crisis).

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I suspect the presence of LBJ in the film wouldn't fit in with the current Hollywood Kennedy Mythos. No "cool" there.

5. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Aw, c'mon... a couple shots of Randy Quaid portraying LBJ grabbing a beagle by the ears would've surely added some entertainment value [​IMG]