"Thirteen Days" disc freaking out on me, help!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Keith_R, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey all, I decided to sit down and watch "Thirteen Days" on my HT tonight. I hadn't seen it in awhile but the last time I'd seen it the disc was working great and behaved like any other normal disc.

Tonight however, it was completely different story. Around the 1 hour and 47 minute mark my disc all the sudden begins to pixelate and stutter and eventually freezes up to the point where I have to turn off the DVD player.

Considering that the disc worked fine the last time I used it I'm really fearful that my DVD player may be on the fritz because it glitched up once before on another perfect disc about 4 months ago and it is after all 4 years old. I checked the disc for scratches but it looked pretty clean and I didn't really see any visible scratches.

What should I do? is my player going out on me or is this more likely a disc problem? if it is a disc problem how could it just go bad like that? Should I begin looking for a new DVD player to replace my 4 year old Toshiba 2150? Please help!Thanks.

2. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey all, I decided to sit down and watch "Thirteen Days" on my HT tonight. I hadn't seen it in awhile but the last time I'd seen it the disc was working great and behaved like any other normal disc.

Tonight however, it was completely different story. Around the 1 hour and 47 minute mark my disc all the sudden begins to pixelate and stutter and eventually freezes up to the point where I have to turn off the DVD player.

Considering that the disc worked fine the last time I used it I'm really fearful that my DVD player may be on the fritz because it glitched up once before on another perfect disc about 4 months ago and it is after all 4 years old. I checked the disc for scratches but it looked pretty clean and I didn't really see any visible scratches.

What should I do? is my player going out on me or is this more likely a disc problem? if it is a disc problem how could it just go bad like that? Should I begin looking for a new DVD player to replace my 4 year old Toshiba 2150? Please help!Thanks.

3. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I've had instances of pixellated freeze-ups on my old Pioneer DVD/LD combo, a pretty old player in the DVD universe these days. Usually, it is dust that's the culprit. If I clean off what looks like a perfectly clean disc, it usually will go through the affected portion just fine. But there are discs that it has problems with that'll play fine on a newer Pioneer and an even newer Sony player.

Try cleaning the disc first and try it again. If you have the opportunity, tyry the disc in a friend or neighbor's player to see if it does it there. If it still acts up there, then it's the disc. If it plays fine everywhere else, then perhaps it's time for service - or a new machine.

P.S. I just checked my DVD of THIRTEEN DAYS and there was no play-back glitch at all through the 1:47 minute of play. The only thing I noticed was perhaps an editing anomaly. Within that minute, there's a scene with Costner walking behind and between the Kennedy brothers. Just before the next camera shot, the image jumps up a bit. Pretty minor.

Harry

4. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I've had instances of pixellated freeze-ups on my old Pioneer DVD/LD combo, a pretty old player in the DVD universe these days. Usually, it is dust that's the culprit. If I clean off what looks like a perfectly clean disc, it usually will go through the affected portion just fine. But there are discs that it has problems with that'll play fine on a newer Pioneer and an even newer Sony player.

Try cleaning the disc first and try it again. If you have the opportunity, tyry the disc in a friend or neighbor's player to see if it does it there. If it still acts up there, then it's the disc. If it plays fine everywhere else, then perhaps it's time for service - or a new machine.

P.S. I just checked my DVD of THIRTEEN DAYS and there was no play-back glitch at all through the 1:47 minute of play. The only thing I noticed was perhaps an editing anomaly. Within that minute, there's a scene with Costner walking behind and between the Kennedy brothers. Just before the next camera shot, the image jumps up a bit. Pretty minor.

Harry

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Welcome to the wonderful world of DVD Rot, or delamination. This is a very real phenomenon, in which discs that initially are okay over time degrade due to separation of the disc layers, usually as a result of a manufacturing flaw. The incidence rate isn't high (I've had it happen on maybe 5 or 6 discs out of several hundred), but it's a real annoyance.

I suspect there is nothing wrong with your player, especially if it is playing most discs okay. Do you have access to another DVD player/DVD ROM drive, to check the disc? If it has similar problems on another player you know it's a bad disc. If it plays fine on another player then you can suspect your Toshiba may be faulty, although sometimes a disc will have minor problems that one player can handle while another cannot, even though nothing is really "broken."

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Welcome to the wonderful world of DVD Rot, or delamination. This is a very real phenomenon, in which discs that initially are okay over time degrade due to separation of the disc layers, usually as a result of a manufacturing flaw. The incidence rate isn't high (I've had it happen on maybe 5 or 6 discs out of several hundred), but it's a real annoyance.

I suspect there is nothing wrong with your player, especially if it is playing most discs okay. Do you have access to another DVD player/DVD ROM drive, to check the disc? If it has similar problems on another player you know it's a bad disc. If it plays fine on another player then you can suspect your Toshiba may be faulty, although sometimes a disc will have minor problems that one player can handle while another cannot, even though nothing is really "broken."

7. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I'll try popping it in my computer to see what happens. Unfortunately while the player is still pretty decent it did this on a another disc a couple months ago and that disc was much newer so I sometimes question if my player be beginning to crap out on me.

8. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I'll try popping it in my computer to see what happens. Unfortunately while the player is still pretty decent it did this on a another disc a couple months ago and that disc was much newer so I sometimes question if my player be beginning to crap out on me.

9. Runar_R

Runar_R Second Unit

I think "13 days" is one title suffering from dvd-rot. I'm certainly having problems with my disc, and I seem to recall hearing about problems witht this title earlier as well. Too bad, as it's a great movie......
    [​IMG]

10. Runar_R

Runar_R Second Unit

I think "13 days" is one title suffering from dvd-rot. I'm certainly having problems with my disc, and I seem to recall hearing about problems witht this title earlier as well. Too bad, as it's a great movie......
    [​IMG]

11. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

I have been fortunate enough to have the company replace my damamged discs for me asking only for shipping costs. I had to return my Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Sliding Doors for problems as you described. I simply wrote the company explaining my problem and they kindly replaced discs for me.

12. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

I have been fortunate enough to have the company replace my damamged discs for me asking only for shipping costs. I had to return my Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Sliding Doors for problems as you described. I simply wrote the company explaining my problem and they kindly replaced discs for me.

13. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Update: I tried the disc in my computer earlier and it exhibited the same problems. I took the disc out and examined it yet again and I noticed a spot which I had not seen before; it was like a liquid of some sort which had gotten on the far end of of the disc in my blind spot. I cleaned the disc off and plan on playing it again tonight to see if this solved the problem.

The peculiar thing is that the disc had been stored in my DVD cabinet safely inside it's case for the last 6-12 months with no use. I find it extremely odd that it could have fresh fluid on it after that long a hiatus.

Could this be a sign of DVD rot? or is it possible something could be breaking in my DVD player that is getting fluid of some sort on my discs? just a fluke perhaps like frogs raining from the sky[​IMG] ?

14. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Update: I tried the disc in my computer earlier and it exhibited the same problems. I took the disc out and examined it yet again and I noticed a spot which I had not seen before; it was like a liquid of some sort which had gotten on the far end of of the disc in my blind spot. I cleaned the disc off and plan on playing it again tonight to see if this solved the problem.

The peculiar thing is that the disc had been stored in my DVD cabinet safely inside it's case for the last 6-12 months with no use. I find it extremely odd that it could have fresh fluid on it after that long a hiatus.

Could this be a sign of DVD rot? or is it possible something could be breaking in my DVD player that is getting fluid of some sort on my discs? just a fluke perhaps like frogs raining from the sky[​IMG] ?