What's new

Third Tempest (pics) (1 Viewer)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Well folks I just finished the box for my 3rd and final Tempest driver. This one is for my car which felt the need for some bass that'll knock the socks off the listeners.
Not only is this box a spectacle to look at with it's orange color and design/craftsmanship, but it creates quite a commotion with the audio it produces.
Try a box that's near 3.5 CF tuned to 25hz for starters. This thing reached 124db on my radio shack SPL meter and that was in the front seat with the windows down. :) (Playing a random hip/hop Nelly track)
Orange Flavored Audiophile Bass Maker
I am so in love with the bass this things make as it puts my dual HT tempests to shame in the sheer effect of knock-out bass and vibrations it creates. It's amazing how much the install effects the sound. I know this one can't hit as deep or have as smooth of a response but still... loads of fun.
Any comments or criticism welcome as I know almost for a fact that there is not one sub out there that looks like mine. :) If you don't like my taste for design that's ok too, it was painted with complimentary colors in mind for the most contrast and designed to house an Alpine 600w amp on top. The amp I bought used off the hardware forum here burst into flames after 10 minutes use and I can't get my money back. :frowning: So for now it's powered by 200watts. (I got the alpine amp from Scott Falkler who said it worked fine when he shipped it, unfortunatly he didn't test it under high loads I guess)
Sigh*, I already know what parts I need, now it's just a matter of finding the parts to fix it. If anyone can give me any information on getting the parts I need it would be most appreciated.
But, at least it's not a huge loss as my Tempest is plenty happy with the PPI amp I had as a backup. BTW, I have a picture of myself on the "HouR Audio" page now for those curious monkeys out there.

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice job Chris.

The things I cant stand the most theese days are the stupid riced up hondas with kiddies who buy a "1000W audiophile sub," feed it with a competition amp, and go around bragging how loud their crappy sound can get. The worst thing is if you show them a quality sub setup, they just laugh at you in their ignorence because they think it's crap if it doesnt say 1000W or Xpload on it.

Anyhow, i just had to get that out. Very nice looking setup you have there though.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Thanks, Yeah my sub doesn't have any type of name brand on it and I don't think a lot of ppl could tell what driver it is. (with exception of this forum)
I havn't driven in the streets with the sub playing yet, however I am the type of person that turns down the volume at intersections though. The only time I'll crank it is when I want to show someone, or I'm feeling saucy. :)
I think it's kinda neat to have a sub that can play loud, but it's even better when it sounds good doing so.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Chris,

Looks VERY nice. I like the orange color, dare to be different!!

I'm going to be building a similar sub for a guy at work: around 3cf with a 4" port, single Tempest, and JBL 1200 amp. How long would the port need to be for around a 25Hz tune?

I'm sure that 124dB will be plenty loud as he's going to keep the stock speakers and add bass blockers to take some strain off the stock system. Should be a nice budget setup.

I'll probably end up doing one for my car if his sounds as good as it should. Take care...Mike

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
ported 15 only hitting 124 db so sad.
Well, the most Chris will know for certain that he can hit is 126db...assuming that he's using an RS spl meter. That's as high as it goes. :) Besides, I don't think it's sad. Go ahead and play it louder if you want. We'll just enjoy our hearing longer than you. :D

Mark gas

Second Unit
It's so sad that a stupid riced up honda with a low end 8 inch sub will play louder than the all mighty Tempest.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Louder doesn't always mean better! I've heard 10" subs that are extremely loud but sound like crap! I'd take Chris' sub over nearly any other any day of the week.
BTW, I like it Chris! :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
So this 8" distortion king woofer that can play at harmfully loud levels is somehow cooler? I gotta tell ya, I've played a pair of Yamaha PA cabinets MUCH louder than my HE10.1's. But no chance in hell am I going to put the Yamaha's in my home.
Javier,
Eh, I'm not so sure he's a troll. He's made plenty of posts that weren't necessarily trollish. Though I am still waiting for a response to this thread. Just scroll down to the end, you'll see what I'm talking about. :)

Mark gas

Second Unit
So this 8" distortion king woofer that can play at harmfully loud levels is somehow cooler? I gotta tell ya, I've played a pair of Yamaha PA cabinets MUCH louder than my HE10.1's. But no chance in hell am I going to put the Yamaha's in my home.
8" distortion king? when did I day the 8 would distort?
Did yo know to get max points in most IASCA sq classes you have to hit 130 db and there was a car from europe that hit 129.8 using 4 5-3/8 drivers and those speakers were also on when sq Judging was done. There are many 8 inch sq drivers that will hit more than 124 WITH OUT distorting in sealed boxed under 1 cf heck I have heard of 2 6.5 inch drivers in a spl box tuned high hit 130. Before I go on I would like to see this setup tested legal on the dash like they do in db drag racing because the radio shack meter is not the best for testing max spl.

Dave_Gib

Stunt Coordinator
don't trust the rat shack meter for max dB measurement, at 34 Hz with the windows down in my car on the rat shack meter I have a hard time moving the needle when set to 120, on a real mic with the driver window down it does mid 150's

Chris,

Like the box, I really suggest bolting it down.

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Check out http://www.soundillusions.net for a few people who run Tempests. Specifically, look for Black00 - he used to run a single Tempest with 500W, and hit 152 dB. Now he's running a Brahma 15 and is in the 156 dB range.
Tempests can get MUCH louder than 124 dB SPL; the limit here is the meter, not the driver or setup. With the setup listed above, I'd expect low 140s, if really pushed.
Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
PS: MECA's loudest vehicle ever runs Brahmas...;)
Dan

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Thanks guys, I guess I'll have to call it Orange crush then. I could only imagine what 130-140db would sound like as I think 120db is plenty. :) I just thought this would be a fun project and that I've never experienced bass in my car like this before.
I also wasn't going for max spl, I was merely playing a song in my car and decided to up the volume and see what the rat shack meter read with the windows down.
What's funny is the orange sub probably makes my car recognizable as my windows arn't tinted and ppl can see right in. I just hope I don't get embarrassed when I put in my rear component speakers (which will go in separate boxes).
I still havn't driven the car on the streets in daylight yet. I wonder how ppl may react.
Hey, I wonder what peoples reactions would be if I played it loud at public places. Should I capture some reactions with my digital camera? hehe j/k it probably won't get much reaction.

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
if you ever get the chance to hear a properly powered and installed tempest...you won't know what "hits" you..it will s "shake" your car apart.

PS - I love my tempest

And yes...I copied the design of Black00 over at ampmanaudio , and I will never regret it.

Chris, People will react(my car is noticable, albiet barely, from 1/2 mile away), but remember to be courteous of others...as bass is annoying from other cars(I know ours will sound cleaner to us, but it is still annoying to others).

Peace, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks