Thinking of Upgrading to Bookshelf Speakers / Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by GregBe, Jan 13, 2004.

1. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

I currently have Cambridge Soundworks MC300's for all 3 front speakers. Basically, they have two 4" midrange drivers with one 1" tweeter. They have a -+3 db of 80 Hz CSW recommends setting the crossover at 100, but this weekend I noticed that a 120 crossover gave me a bit of a better sound. I am concerned about this setting being too high and working my sub too hard. The sub is up front, so I am not too worried about it being "localizeable" (if that's even a word, but you know what I mean). Since they have been purchased within a year, I can upgrade for free to bookshelf speakers and a larger center. Here is what I was thinking.
    The M60's are bookshelves that have a 6 1/2" driver and a 1" tweeter. The MC400 is the upgrade center channel, and it has two 5 1/2" drivers with one 1" tweeter. They are in the same Newton Family and sound fuller than what I have and sound matched to my ears even though the drivers are of different size.
    Two questions:
    1) Is it better to go with the smaller satellites if they are matched. The specs for the M60's and MC400's both say the -+3 db is 65 Hz, so I think that I could work the crossover to 100 comfortably, maybe even 80.
    2) The bookshelves have a small rear port, and would need to go in actual bookshelves with about a 2 inch clearance behind. CSW says this would not be a problem because with my sub and the crossover, the port would not be utilized that much anyway.
    Would you make this upgrade, or stick with what I have. I know that there are better speaker manufactures out there, but I can make this move for no out pocket expenses at all. I may upgrade alltogether later.

Thanks in Advance
    Greg

2. John S

John S Producer

I am not a fan of smaller sats at all.....

Best of luck with your speaker change.

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

120Hz is awful high. I think you'd be happier with larger main speakers, generally speaking. The CSW trade-up deal seems to be a good way to do it, so long as your trading-up sufficiently to realize a difference and so long as the speaker you're looking to get sounds good to you (bigger is not necessarily better).

I happen to like the sound of the Newtons, though at that price-point there are several other speaker models I prefer. Still, so long as you like 'em well enough and can get 100% value on your trade-in (and have some disposable cash to cover the difference), then I don't see any reason why not.

So long as... they will allow you 30 days or so to check them out at home? If so, you really can't lose.

4. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Thanks Guys,

They definitely sound better to me in the store on both music and movies, but I am concerned about putting a rear ported speaker in a bookshelf. Is this a big concern if I were to crossover the speaker at 100 Hz with about 2 inches behind the speaker to the back of the cabinet?

Greg