Thinking of upgrading subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Shaun, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Shaun

Shaun Second Unit

Hey guys,

For a while now, I have been thinking about upgrading my current subwoofer, SVS 20-39PC (bought in 2001), for either a 20-39PC+ or a 20-39PC Ultra. I have been fairly satisfied with my current subwoofer and have enjoyed it for years, but I am looking for something a little more powerful. I've been waiting mostly due to the expense, but would be willing to shell out if I knew it was gonna be worth it.

My setup is as follows:

Receiver: Denon 2805
    DVD Player: Denon 2200
    Speakers: Klipsch Reference Series

I have my system adjusted using Avia, though I have my final sub settings configured a little differently than many, mostly because I don't like to have to constantly change the settings for every movie. So what I usually do is play a bass heavy scene and if the subwoofer can't handle it, I back down the gain/receiver LFE setting until it can and then leave it alone. I like to use both Toy Story 2/Incredibles and War of the Worlds as my demo discs for bass. I figure if it can handle these movies, it can handle any.

I need to know your opinions. How much of a difference would there be going from what I have now to one of these newer subwoofers? Would there be a big difference in SPL and/or frequency response? The biggest difference seems to be the amp, 190 versus 525?.

If I were to go with the 20-39PC Ultra, would I need to mess with the Parametric EQ feature? The 20-39PC+ doesn't seem to have this feature. I'm not too tech savy and would prefer bypassing this feature. The manual states to set it to "MIN" to disable, but what about the other two knobs?

If can get a reasonably big difference with the 20-39PC+, I'd go with it due to the cost difference, but I'd be willing to go for the higher up Ultra model if the difference is worth it.

2. TimJC

TimJC Stunt Coordinator

Go with the Ultra. It will be a bigger upgrade than you're thinking it will be.

Just to give you an idea, Here's the link to a post I made comparing the 20-39 PC+ to the PC Ultra. You can expect the improvement of going from your existing PC to the Ultra to be accordingly even more dramatic.

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...e/6#Post734042

Good luck with it!

Tim
    [​IMG]

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    IMO, the PC+ is a noticable step up from the PCi, but I'd have to agree the Ultra is probably the way to go, or if you have the room a /2 or +/2. You'll find that once you've heard a sub like an SVS it is going to take a decent step up to get a big enough improvement to hear an appreciable difference. This would probably be a good question to shoot directly over to SVS. Don't forget, the drivers have been upgraded in the Plus and are said to be closer to the Ultra.

4. Geoff Gunnell

Geoff Gunnell Stunt Coordinator

I had a 20-39+ (12.2 driver) and upgraded to two Ultras. The Ultra driver has a smoother more musical sound than the (older) plus driver -- it is not a small difference IMO.

Judging from the few comments made about the 12.3 so far, the new 12.3 driver has not caught up with the Ultra [​IMG]

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I wouldn't expect the Plus to have improved enough to give the Ultra a run for it's money, otherwise they'd hurt their Ultra sales... [​IMG]