What's new

thinking of updating my home theater system (1 Viewer)

DaveMcFar

Grip
OK first off I hope I am posting this in the right place. I am by no means a home theater pro, but I am trying to get a good HT system for under $800. Here is what I currently have and I know it is not that good and outdated.

receiver- JVC-RX-715VTN
front speakers- Cerwin Vegas RE30
for my center and rear speakers I have a Sony SS-CR290 package.
Subwoofer-none

Should I

Option (1) Keep my current receiver and speakers as a dedicated music system and buy a new HT system. I have been looking at the Onkyo HT-S770.

Option (2) get a new receiver, keep my speakers and buy a SVS-PB10-ISD subwoofer. If this is the case what would you suggest for a receiver?

Option (3) I have no idea what I am doing and need a lot of great advice from everyone here.

thanks in advance for any input

Dave M.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
Welcome to the forum Dave!

Your budget, $800, can get you a very nice entry level home theater system.

Keep your old system and use it for music as you suggested.

Now, you need a receiver. You can get the Pioneer 1014 for around $400. It is an awesome entry level home theater receiver. The newest, best feature of home theater receivers is the "auto-setup" feature which automatically sets the distance, delay, and equalization of your speakers. It's like paying a sound engineer to come to your house and set up your system. The Pioneer is the least expensive HT receiver with this feature.

If you don't need the newest bells and whistles there are many many good deals to be had on basic HT receivers both ont the net and in the big box stores.

Next you need speakers. Take a look at these:

http://www.htd.com/htdmiddies.html

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=36.1

http://hsuresearch.com

I know I've brought you a little over budget but you'll end up with a nice system with these guys.

Good luck and enjoy! :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Since you're asking for specific purchasing advice for a complete system, I've moved your thread to here in A/V Sources. Remember, the kinds of questions asked in the Basics area would be more along the lines of "What is a receiver?" and that sort of beginner-level discussion. Thank you. JB

DaveMcFar

Grip
Well here's the update to my search for a new HT system. I bought the Onkyo S770 today. Now I have to wait for it to arrive to hook it up.

DaveMcFar

Jack Daniel

Auditioning
just find stuff laying around the house like old spaekers and recievers and mix-match a jew-rigged system, thats what I'm doing until i get enough money for a real one

John S

Senior HTF Member
The Onkyo 770 system won't dissapoint. Any thing you don't like, you can probably mix and match with your old stuff to get better results.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks