Thinking of TV upgrade - consider a FP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lou Sytsma, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Just food for thought for those ready to upgrade to a larger TV or moving to a 16:9 display.
    Seriously look into a front projection unit!
    I currently have a 50" 4:3 Toshiba RPTV and wanted to move up to a HDTV ready 16:9 RPTV in the 55-60" range.
    During my research I soon found the digital front projectors were in the same price range. I demo'ed a couple of units and was blown away by the image quality!
    I ended up with a NEC LT150 and now am enjoying a 100" diagonal picture! Thats 60" x 80"!
    There are some caveats of course - you need light control of your HT room. If you are susceptible to seeing rainbows from a DLP that might be a deal breaker for you. Also bulbs have to be replaced.
    If image quality is what you are after then this might be what you are looking for.
    For the first time I really feel I have HOME THEATRE!
    All this from a 3.5 lb box that I can hold in one hand!!!!
    You can find it for under $2500 US.
    Truly awesome picture from my Panasonic RP91 in progressive mode! No more downconversion jaggies - Yay! I am told that running it from a HTPC brings it up to another level.
    Just an avenue to explore that you shouldn't overlook.
    ------------------
    Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

2. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

I don't think that would work in my living room but would be nice if I had a basement! [​IMG]

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Lou,
    What model screen are you using? Is it one of the high contrast grey screens?
    Thanks, Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

4. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Actually I don't have my screen yet - just using a bedsheet!
    I will be getting a Dalite Hi-Power screen with a 2.8 gain.
    ------------------

5. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Lou,
    Did you get the LT-150 thru the Dell deal or from a Canadian dealer? If from a Canadian source, can you either post or email me? Thanks.
    BTW, do you know the Canadian MSRP and/or street on the LT-150?
    Dave

6. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Hi David - I lucked into the DELL deal.
    Best price I got in Canada was $5000 from Duocom. I believe they have offices out in your neck of the woods.
    ------------------

7. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Lou:
    You summed it up nicely. Persons investigating big screen RPTV should at least look into front projection. It's now getting to be about the same price, depending on how you end up doing it.
    Brian:
    It will work anywhere, including your living room, most likely. Here's mine in a very bright and open living room. Of course, you're correct that basements with few or no windows can be much easier and more practical.
    http://www.kathiejohnson.com/HomeTheater.html
    Deane

8. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Front projection is definitely the way to go for a dedicated home theater. However, given that most people have a living room/home theater, front projection does not seem reasonable to me because you'd be going through $1,000 bulbs every 10 to 12 months.
    I'd love to find out i'm wrong, however [​IMG]
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...
    [Edited last by Brian_J on August 05, 2001 at 04:42 PM]

9. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Brian most bulbs are rated 1000 - 2000 hours and cost roughly $400 US. A fair cost for the image you get IMHO.
    Agree that one's ability to control ambient lighting could be a deal breaker on this. Fortunately for me my HT is in the basement so that is not a problem.
    ------------------

10. Howard_A

Howard_A Stunt Coordinator

The bulbs for the LT-150 are under $500 and they are rated for 1000 hours.
    I wouldn't recommend putting this thing in a living room unless you use a high gain screen. I'm sure 2.8 is plenty for that application. If you can control ambient light I recommend a screen with a gain of 1.0.

11. Lawrence Samoyloff

Lawrence Samoyloff Auditioning

OK, how much for a decent 1.0 gain screen??

12. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

As far as bulbs go...include the $400 bucks for ISF calibration of a new RPTV into the equation and this levels the playing field. The LT150 + bulb is 2200 bucks for the Dell folks, and a pulldown screen is under 300. 2500 bucks for a 100+" diagonal is cool...

13. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I see rainbows when I shift my eyes all the time with DLP. It drives me nuts. Anybody know what causes this? Are the colors shown out of phase or something?
    Maybe I need a star trek meta-phasic modulator or something.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

14. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Consider a front projection unit... okay, if I could teach my wife and kids how to use it for everyminute TV viewing in a well lit room??? So, I guess an RPTV is for me and probably for most other folk who frequent this forum..... Recently, I asked a question on AVS about RPTVs and it was rudely recommended that I ask it here on HTF; that AVS was mostly for CRT front projectors, not RPTVs... maybe your suggestion about FPTVs is best suited on AVS... Nah, everyone is welcome HERE on HTF!!!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!
    [Edited last by John Morris on August 06, 2001 at 10:26 PM]

15. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

Maybe you need FP and a regular TV on a wheeled cart. Your family can use the regular TV during the day. Then, at night, simply push the TV out of the way (my favorite spot would be down the stairs to the basement [​IMG] ) so you can use the FP.]
    Best of both worlds.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.
    [Edited last by Paul W on August 06, 2001 at 11:21 PM]

16. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Rainbows on a DLP are something like a motion artifact.
    DLP is expensive enough that many models use only one image producing panel is used instead of three, a color wheel with red, green, and blud cellophanes spins in front as the panel generates red, green, and blue content respectively. (Most LCD models have three panels on a prism that recombines simultaneous red, green, and blue content into the finished picture.)
    Although (I suppose) there are 180 frames per second (so that there would be 60 progressive scan frames of red, 60 of green, etc. per second) persosn with really sensitive eyes will still see color fringing especially when following the action across the screen, because red, green, and blue content is sequential.
    Some video history including use of color wheels: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/rca2.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on August 07, 2001 at 06:43 AM]

17. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi ya folks,
    I'm looking to reclaim some of the real estate in my home theater, so the search is on for a front projection option.
    Sanyo PLV-60 and the new Sony 11T are in the running. We will see. 100"+ screen will be a Stewart.
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

18. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    John, John - you don't actually let your family touch your HT equipment do you?! For shame! [​IMG]
    Paul - actually my screen for my FP pulls down in front of my 50" RPTV.
    On a more serious note - just passing along my thoughts as I went through the whole path of increasing picture size and clarity by going to a larger HDTV set.
    The portability of a FP and the size and more importantly the quality of the image - and that's what everyone is after - are the main points I wanted to raise.
    On a further note - my little LT150 continues to amaze. No more downconversion jaggies! Yeehaw!
    ------------------

19. Carlos_R

Carlos_R Extra

My 2cents,
    I just purchased my first FP which I am using w/an HTPC. I was also debating on a large rptv in the 55” range but after spending some time at the avsforum I did some searching for an FP, and found a ECP4100 (CRT) for approx. 700.00 (lucky) 700.00+ for the HTPC.
    The FP is in very good condition, and I now have an 80”x60” 4x3 or 80 x 45 16x9 image. DIY screen(s) and everything is HDTV ready with custom resolutions for my DVD viewing all for less than 1500.00.
    I do have light control which seems to be a must for FP not as much for LCD or DLP. This projector is slightly heavy approx. 100lbs. It is currently floor mounted but I am planing on putting it on the ceiling we have 9’ ceilings so that should not be a problem.
    We still use our fs32” vvega for regular viewing (dss) to be replaced in the future with an HDTV in the 42 to 50” range so my family can use. maybe 38"directview (16x9)
    You should consider an FP whether its CRT or LCD, DLP you will never see movies the same again
    Hometheater not until you have seen it in your own home on a BIG screen now turn up the db
    Good luck
    Carlos_r
    VVega KVFS12 32", Kenwood HTB504, Toshiba 3109DVD
    ECP4100 FP
    HTPC: Asus CUSL2, PIII 800EB, 256M PC133 SDRAM,
    Antech 300w ps, IBM 75GXP 30gb, Pioneer DVD-115,
    Radeon 64VIVO, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (sound card)