Thinking of switching to Polk RTI's

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Eric.SD, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Eric.SD

Eric.SD Auditioning

I currently have a Klipsch setup which includes 4.5 fronts, KLF7 center, and KG1's for rears. Bass comes from a SVS sub. I've picked up the itch to change speakers or upgrade.
    I'm thinking about the Polk RTI 12's for fronts, CSI 5 center and RTI6's or FXi5's for rears. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? The system is mainly 75% HT and
    25% music. Im also torn on the rears.[​IMG] Please any thoughts and opinions are greatly needed. Thanks [​IMG]

2. DaveBlairW

DaveBlairW Auditioning

Eric - I upgraded my H-T and music system in the last 30 days with Polk RTi as follows:

Left / right mains = RTi10 Cherry
    Center = CSi5 Cherry
    Surrounds = FXi5 Black (only finish choice)

I'm still giving this new RTi setup a good break-in period with a heavy mix of CD and DTS DVD, but the initial impressions are super.

Overall workmanship on the RTi's is very good to outstanding. I noted just 1 negligible "orange peel" finish imperfection on the bottom of one RTi10 tower (now covered by the outrigger feet). The wood veneer cabinetry is much more attractive at home and definitely fits into a well appointed room.

DO use caution when moving the towers and AVOID grasping the PowerPort which flairs from the lower rear of the cabinet to enhance bass performance - it's plastic and should not be used to move the mass of the tower speaker.

The sound is well-balanced and quite neutral to my ears. Midrange performance seems especially accurate, and the dual 7" woofers on the RTi10 pump out a surprising amount of deep bass. The Eagles classic "Hell Freezes Over" DTS-DVD soundtrack is absolutely staggering on this system. The CSi5 center clearly renders DVD movie conversations, and it is capable of surprising dynamic range.

I'm powering this new RTi setup with a Marantz SR8400 receiver, and could easily raise the roof off a large listening room with this combination.

No regrets in my court on the purchase of the latest Polk RTi series. Give them a listen for yourself and see if they hit the sweetspot for you also.

3. Greg.R

Greg.R Extra

I'd go with the 10's over the 12's, most impressions I've heard indicate the 10 is more composed, and still packs quite a punch, plus it's quite a bit cheeper. I'd say get the 10's and buy a more powerful SVS if you care for more bass.

FXi's are quite nice for the rear, as long as you have room for proper placement - you can see the Polk website for details on that.

If you get the upgrade itch fairly often, make sure to give the LSi's a listen before you commit to an RTi package. While RTi is great for HT, shaking things up and what not, LSi are night and day with music versus the RTi. Make sure you go someplace decent for an LSi demo though - someone once played me a demo on the LSi15 with a Sony 100wpc AVR, suffice to say it was horrible.

4. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

Whatever you do.. Polks are the way to go. The RTi series definitely kick it especially with such a good price/performance ration IMO. The LSI are the way to go for a 2 channel system.

Pack a good amp with the LSI and its over... game over.

5. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up that exact set-up yesterday. [​IMG]

But I am running the FXi5's as my surrounds and RTI6's as my rear surround's

I am very impressed with the sound. I first listened to the LSi's but they sounded muddle and not very bright. The RTi's sounded so much better.

6. JordanRice

JordanRice Agent

Hey I'm about a week away from picking up some:

RTI8's for the front
    csi5 center
    fxi 3's for surround and
    rti 4's for back (will be mounted on the ceiling)
    svs pb-12 sub

but my question is how good is the fxi? Does the sound diffusion really add? My ratio is about 90% HT and TV and about %10 music, and I want to know whether its worth the extra casharino to get the fxi's.

7. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

I was debating the same thing. I may just swap the sides to the rear and see if I hear a difference.

8. JordanRice

JordanRice Agent

Let me know how it sounds if you do. But otherwise, how are the fxi's?

If I go 5.1 would you recommend that I go with the normal bookshelf rti4's or the fxi's for effect?

9. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

So far so good. But I just got them. Well, I chose the FXi because the sides are a bit close. And didn't want a direct speaker overpowering the other side. The rears aren't as loud, so opted for the direct sound.

10. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

I have a RTi setup as well and its a great value. I went with the 8's up front since I use a sub, CSi5 for center and RTi4's for all surrounds.

11. JordanRice

JordanRice Agent

Hey Victor, did you go 5.1 or 7.1? Plus did you get a listen to the fxi's before you decided to go with all rti4's? What made you decide on all rti4's?

12. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

I have a 7.1 setup. I got the 4's because I prefered them over the fxi's for content that had descrete channels (I did listen to both and it was a hard call). I listen to alot of music and that plays into it some too. The fxi's are more HT oriented IMHO and the 4's work better if you will be listening a good bit of music as well.

13. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I prefer the FXi in bipole mode for both theater and hi-res music. The dipole mode sounds hollow on high res music, but it does give a more diffuse sound field for HT.

The other nice thing about the bipole mode is that if you have listeners in front of and behind the FXi speaks, they will all get the same sound effect. To really benefit from the dipole mode, you have to sit directly between the speaks.

Regardless, in either mode, the dual radiator FXi will be better than a monopole speaker for room filling sound on surround effects.

For the rear surrounds, monopoles are the best choice because you want a solid soundstage to the rear, similar to the front stage. Place the rear surrounds at approximately 1/3 and 2/3 points along the back wall.

I also agree with the RTi8 and a good sub vs. the RTi10 or RTi12. The bass will be wasted on the larger speakers unless you run them on large, and then you'll need a lot more power than the typical AVR can comfortably deliver. And you might also get into cancellation and phasing issues with multiple sources of low bass in the room.

Plus, the RTi8 has dual midrange drivers, something the RTi10 lacks. You would have to get the RTi12 to match the midrange capability of the RTi8. I'll take the RTi8 set to small and a great sub any day over the RTi12 on large.

14. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

Going to have to try them on Bipole

How much power do you think would be good for the RTi12?
    I am going to try them on large tonight. My Intega is rated @ 150 watts. So I hope thats enough. :dunno:

15. JordanRice

JordanRice Agent

Hey Edward J M, where did you go to listen to the fxi's before you bought them? I live in NY, right outside the bronx and I can't find anywhere to demo the rti's or the fxi's. I am willing to drive up to an hour to hear them so let me know. Thanks.

16. Edward J M

I own FX1000's and live upstate about 7 hours from you. If you want to find some Polk owners nearby, I suggest you join Club Polk and stick around that forum for a while and build some trust with the members, and maybe someone nearby will let you demo their system.

17. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Doesn't look like my Integra is enough.
    Maye I should just take them back and save some $$$.

Power Output* (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 Khz, FTC)

Front L/R 130 W/Ch
    Center 130 W
    Surround L/R 130 W/Ch
    Surround Back 130 W/Ch (L/R)

Power Output* (6 ohm, 1 Khz,Ftc)

Front L/R 170 W/Ch
    Center 170 W
    Surround L/R 170 W/Ch
    Surround Back 170 W/Ch (L/R)

Dynamic Power** (Front)

3 ohm 300 W/Ch
    4 ohm 230 W/Ch
    8 ohm 150 W/Ch
    THD (Rated Power) 0.05 % (all channels)

18. Edward J M

You would need an independent test to verify what your AVR amp section is actually capable of.

Most AVRs fall considerably short of their rated power, especially when more than one channel is driven at the same time (as would be the case with the RTi12 set to large).

External amps tend to do far better - for example Secrets tested the Outlaw M200 monoblock at 300 watts into 4 ohms for an hour and it met rated THD and never overheated or shut-off. I'd like to see an AVR (short of a Rotel, B&K, or Sunfire, NAD, etc.) pull than stunt, even with one channel driven.

That is a fine AVR - I would be more inclined to swap out the RTi12 for the RTi8 and buy a great subwoofer than I would be inclined to return the AVR. With all speakers set to small, the Integra will cruise along nicely, and the RTi speaks have never been terribly hard to drive anyway (from an impendance standpoint).

19. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

I meant returning the RTi12's [​IMG]

I never listened to the RTi8's, I first demo'ed the RTi10's. Didn't like the mid-bass, which is why I opted for the RTi12's

I already have a sub. Hmm...could I just send a signal to only the mids and high's on the RTi12's? It would be like the RTi8's then I can compare...

20. Edward J M

Just set the 12's and the 8's both to small and see if you can hear a difference between them with the sub powered off. I'm betting it will be minimal to no differences; they both have dual midrange drivers.

Although you'd have to look at the crossover network specs to check the XO frequencies for the speakers. AFAIK, the RTi8 doesn't have cascaded midrange drivers - they both operate at the same frequencies. At least that was the case with the RT800i and the RTi70.

I'd return the 12's, buy the 8's, buy a big stonkin' sub with the credit difference (plus selling the Energy), and don't look back.

BTW - kill your equipment list before the mods do - they are not allowed at HTF - it screws up searches.