Thinking of selling my DVD collection, Best way to do it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleS, Apr 26, 2002.

1. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

As the title states I have a DVD collection of around 200 DVD's and with a new child being here I am trying to pay off some debts so that my wife and I are debt free where she can work less. One of the ways I could take a good chunk out of this is to let go of, and sell my DVD collection. Of course I know there are about 20-30 DVD's that I will not be able to part with [​IMG] But just selling the others is absolutely killing me. [​IMG]
    If I decide to sell these off what is the best way, which I will be able to get the most money out of them? (and no giving them away to you guys is not the best way [​IMG]
    1) Ebay them all in 1 lot?
    2) Sell them off individually?
    3) Sell some off individually and then Lot sell the others?
    4) Other ideas?
    Of the DVD's I have about 20 are sets or years of something like Sopranos season 1, X-files season sets, etc...
    Hey any ideas guys.
    KyleS

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Can you post a list in the Software for sale section? Or, do you have them up on DVDProfiler? There might be a few I'd buy from ya.
    Congrats on the baby. Bummer about having to sell your collection.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

My collection is about 750 right now.... So, I often think about selling the entire thing. Unfortunately, the way to make the most amount of money is to eBay each individually. The least time-consuming way would be to offer a really good price on the entire collection. The problem is that you probably have a lot of the same titles most other people have (e.g., Sopgranos, Fifth Element, etc.). So, selling as a collection is pretty hard unless at a great price. Another possible way would be to sell your collection to a local video store (mom-n-pop not Blockbuster). Good luck!

4. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Try:
    www.sellmydvds.com
    I have used them a couple times - never had any problems.
    You submit them your list (on the web site) and they get back to you within a couple days (same day for me the last time I used them). They will then give you a price that they will pay for each individual dvd.
    The prices they offer are fair...nothing too awful great...but I would say it is more than what a local Pawn Shop would pay also.
    It's an easy way to get rid of entire lots of DVD's - that's for sure.
    If you go with them - you then send them all the DVD's you want to sell (you don't have to send all the titles - just pick the ones you want to sell if you like the offer) and they will either mail you out a check upon receipt or paypal you the funds immediately.
    Just a thought...good luck.
    Mike

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

If I can make up my mind to sell these then I will post a list of all the DVD's via profiler that I have on this site so you guys can offer some up. It would definetely not be till at least next week since I am off for the weekend. Thanks for the help guys.

Michael,

When you say not great what type of pricing are you talking on average per DVD?

KyleS

6. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Have you considered just selling some of your hardware instead? That way you can always replace it and still get to keep your dvd's some of which may not be in print.

7. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Kyle

I would say on average: 11.00 per title

Some were $13.50

Some were $12.00

Some were $11.50

Some were $9.00

A few of the cheaper titles were $6-7

FYI: This was about 2 months ago

It just depends on the title and the popularity of that title.

Hope this helps...

8. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Well I was thinking about it and am actually going to go the route Scott is suggestiing. I am going to sell my CD-player, whole lot of computer hardware, & my second car that I dont really need (RX-7). This way I can keep my collection and still not miss too much.

KyleS

Thanks guys for the info