What's new

thinking of replacing my A-1 (1 Viewer)

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
I have been totally out of it for a few years (spending all my time/money working on a old landcruiser). But now I'm thinking of replacing my Yamaha A-1. To help me think through a few things, can anyone tell me what the equivilant of the A-1 is today? I'm sure it is still better than the bottom of the line today but it has to be pretty near the bottom?

Thanks!

Brad

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
If you talking about the DSP-1A, it would still rank near the top. Other than DPLII, DPLIIx, and some video switching, I believe it's power supply, build quality, and sound is still outstanding and equal or better than most of the Yamaha existing line. IMO. Unless you were moving to seperates, had to have PLIIx, or wanted the receiver to do video switching, I can't think of a reason why you would need to buy anything new.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brad,

I’m basically with Albert.

The price of flagship receivers has gone way up – nearly double what the A1 listed for in a few instances (although that’s not the case with Yamaha, I think). For the price of the A1 you’ll now get an upper-mid-line receiver, although it’s going to be much more feature-laden than the A1 (if you can imagine that!).

Alot has changed since the A1. Along with the upgraded Dolby Pro Logic modes Albert mentioned, component video has proliferated, and HDMI I’m sure will soon become the standard for digital audio and video signaling (although it still seems to be a little “blinky” at this point). Most receivers from the mid-line up now have digital auto EQ and set-up features (which get more effective, flexible and powerful the further up the model line you go). Also, 5.1 has given way to 6.1 and even 7.1 in most mid-line-and-higher receivers (although you can still set them up for 5.1).

The million-dollar question is whether or not you actually need all the new “goodies” you’ll get with a new receiver. That’s something only you can answer. :)

Personally I’m still using the DSP-A3090, which is even older than your A1, and I’m still quite happy with it. Component video would be nice to have, but I’d have to get a new TV too. Sorry, not interested in sinking that much green just for component video – the TV I have is excellent, so it’s a toss-up if I’d even notice an improvement. I don’t intend to look at upgrading my front end until I get a flat-screen TV.

If you listen to radio, you might want to take that into consideration. Yamaha ditched the processor/ integrated amp motif after the A1. I seriously doubt built-in tuners will be better than whatever you’re using now (the excellent Yamaha TX-950, in my case).

If you haven’t already done so, you might want to upgrade the A1’s abysmal remote. I picked up one for a recent-model RX-V3300, and couldn’t be happier with it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies! I went an posed this question to the local yamaha dealer and he suggested the new rx-v659. He suggested that the amp section was just as good as the A1 but considering it weighs at least 1/3 less I doubt it.

I guess it is only the automatic equalization is what is appealing to me. I've wondered if this as a pre/pro and another amp would make a good combo.

I think the some of the new features are appealing but now I'm thinking that I should use the money towards other things and wait till HDMI moves downstream a bit.

Wayne, I noticed you are using and Adcom. If you were buying an external amp again would you buy the same one?

Thanks again!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Brad:

I really like Adcom amps. They are very neutral.

Another poweramp to consider is the Outlaw Audio 7700 or 7500. For the money they are hard to beat when it comes to power amps.

I agree with Wayne and Albert to keep your A1.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well, I bought these used 8-9 years ago, and I have no complaints. So yes, Adcom would be at the top of my list if I ever got amps again. A couple of things I really like about them: They’re not very deep compared to many amps, so they fit into equipment racks and entertainment centers easily. And they don’t have a grounded power cord, which reduces the chances of ground loops.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for keeping me from spending money on a new receiver. But now you have me wanting to spend money on some amps!**********:smilie(';)')

So my question is: Is there a difference between the Adcom GFA 555 and the GFA 555II? And is it a difference I should be concerned about?

Thanks again!

Brad

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Unless you seriously consider yourself an audiophile I don't think you're going to get any preceptible improvement out of an outboard amp. The ones in the A1 are great to begin with. Save your money for renting another flick. I only just now upgraded from a circa 1997 Pioneer 606 to an Integra 7 (circa 2000) and I barely notice the difference.

Unless you're taken in by bells and whistles or have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket, or a room that would really benefit from 6.1 or 7.1, relax and be happy with what you've got.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brad,

It’s hard to refute Philip’s assessment:
The only real reason you might need the amp would be if you have some really power-hungry (read inefficient) speakers. But if that were the case, I expect you would have done something about it a long time ago.

The only reason I used the Adcoms was because I merely wanted to allow my DSP-A3090 to work a little easier. That, and I got a great deal on the pair. I’ve run my speakers both ways, and I can’t honestly tell a difference. Eventually I’ll be using both Adcoms for subs, and the 3090 for all my main speakers when we get our custom built-in subs done, hopefully later this year.

As far as the difference between the 555 and the 555 II, I don’t remember. I have some old magazines with the advertisements Adcom ran back then touting the improvements, I could dig them up if you’re really interested.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to everyone for bringing me back to reality. I know I should really be putting money into a new display or a better sub. It's just so tempting to spend $400 bucks on a new amp rather than saving the $1000+ for a new sub or display when your itching for something new!!!:D

Thanks again for all the great advice!!

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks