Thinking of going LIVE : what's everyone's fave XBL games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Carlo Medina, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Hi All,

We're going to Target tonight where the XBox Live kit is $35. I'm seriously thinking of getting it, but I just wanted to see what everyone's favorite XBL game is here, just to see if the service is worth it.

The only games I currently own that are XBL capable are Mechwarrior and Unreal Tournament.

So what are most people playing now on XBL? What games have worked the best, and are the most fun, online? Are there old XBL games that are still fun to play online (and that people are still playing)? I ask because I don't really buy games when they're $50, I usually wait until the drop to $30 or less, so I'm not bleeding edge (as you can tell by Mechwarrior and UT).

I'm new to online gaming so any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

TIA.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I also was thinking of getting X-Box Live. I'm asking for Return to Castle Wolfenstein for my birthday (and I'm pretty sure I'm getting it) and then hopefully I'd get another XBL-enabled game to warrant the purchase of an XBL subscription.

Also, there's downloadable content to take into consideration. Splinter Cell can be had for $20 in some places, and that has downloadable levels (1 out already, more some time in the future). KotOR also has downloadable stuff coming.

3. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

ESPN Football and Ghost Recon: Island Thunder are relatively popular with my group currently.

There's a bit of a lull and I can't think of any one heavy heavy hitter right now. There's a ton of stuff on its way out that will likely be in constant rotation -- games like Rainbow Six 3 (due out end of October) and Crimson Skies.

Both GRIT and Splinter Cell have a number of downloadable levels on the free demo disc that comes with Rainbow Six 3.

-j

4. Carlo Medina

I have a question about XBL gaming in general - are there different levels, ie. beginners, intermediate, pros? Because I don't know how much fun it would be to log on to a server with a bunch of pros who just kill me in like 2 seconds each time.

5. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

I took the plunge with the $35 Target deal about two weeks ago and my thumb is currently numb from playing MotoGP until the break of dawn on Friday and Saturday night. (not kidding at all).

For me, just the amount of fun I've had from playing MotoGP, the free demo, has been well worth the $35 it cost me. So well worth it. I equate the cost with going to see a couple movies in the theater, which must be why I never go to the theaters anymore.

Take the plunge, it's very much worth the cost. I've also got UnrealChampionship and demos of MechAssault & Tetris, but MotoGP has me hooked.

There are a number of big games coming up soon that will be live enabled too that have me pretty excited too... Project Gotham 2, Halo 2, and most of all (for me) AMPED 2 (I am fanatical about Amped... I'm secretly hoping they treat it like MotoGP and release an online demo where you can use your players and mountains from the original game if you have it).

GO BUY IT![​IMG]

6. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

Carlo, I can only comment on a couple games. I found with Unreal that what you described is what I found. I didn't have any fun because I was always dead. I haven't gone back to it to try to figure out if it's broken down any better.

For moto GP you can select a game to join based on the average skill level, or you can just quickstart, which is what most people do. If you end up in a race with people of varying skills it's still fun. Even fighting it out 10th place is a lot of fun, you don't have to be at the front of the pack.

Sorry I can't comment on more games yet... soon I hope.

7. Carlo Medina

Yeah there are some pretty serious UT players (though most are probably still on the PC) and since it was an early XBL game I wasn't sure what the server structure would be.

Hopefully the new Clancy game(s) coming out will have servers subdivided between skill levels.

8. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Carlo, I've found that the key to finding good games has less to do with skill level than with finding good people who enjoy a good game. (This isn't to say that skill level doesn't make a difference.)

Start looking around this forum and others to find a good group of people to start off your Friends List off on the right foot.

-j

9. Carlo Medina

So how's it work, you get a friends list and you can play with those people exclusively? Can others still butt in (i.e. rogues looking for lesser skilled players to kick their ass?)

Thanks.

Oh and I forgot about the added-value content in the form of downloads. That might make it worth it, even if I don't play a lot online...

10. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

It depends on how the host sets up the game (public versus private).

If you are playing in a public game the host has the option of booting a troublemaker if necessary.

-j

11. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Ghost Recon: Island Thunder is the hottest thing going right now and it also has the best community BY FAR. I had a lot of fun with Wolfenstein when it came out but it has since been spoiled by little kids. I hate listening to whiny, prepubescent voices while I play. You can still get a good game of wolf going if you stay up really late though since the british guys are pretty cool. Mechassault feels pretty generic and just isn't as good as the aforementioned games, although it has had a lot of support in the way of downloadable content. Midtown Madness is fun but the community is starting to dry up. It's getting no support from MS at all and I imagine that when they do get around to releasing new stuff, it will probably just be a few crappy cars.

Rainbow Six 3 is just completely off the hook if the demo is any indication. It's better looking than the PC version and has been refined for console play. I imagine the online will be absolutely SICK as long as it has some good maps.

I recommend picking up GRIT and getting the $39.99 deal on RS3 from UBI's website. GRIT has a great selection of maps to begin with, plus you'll get 4 more really good ones on the RS3 demo disk. The only drawback to GRIT is the learning curve, but most people are pretty tolerant of noobs and you can play CO-OP to get used to the game.

edit: I forgot to add, when you start playing competitively, go wit Siege and no respawns. Stay away from team last man standing games.

12. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

My roommate has an XBox. We hooked it up and rented Ghost Recon: Island Thunder for a couple of days. Holy smokes, this shit is divine. It reminds me of Delta Force 2, which I had much fun with a couple of years ago.

If going Live only costs $35 (plus free subscription for a year right? RIGHT?), I am in like Flynn. I hope the game itself is old enough to be had for

13. Christopher Cheadle

Christopher Cheadle Stunt Coordinator

If you are going for the current Live kit that is on sale, make sure you get it and sign up before October 31. The subscription code on the earlier Live kits expires on that date. You will still get the year of service, though.

As far as games to play, I really enjoy GR:IT, Wolfenstein and Mechassault. I am also often found hanging around Phantasy Star Online (which has an additional monthly cost).

14. Doug H

Doug H Agent

Like Christopher said, make sure to check the dates on the side of the package. Version 1 (With Wacked! & MotoGP demos) expires 10/31/03, but can be found at some Targets for $24.99. Version 2 (with MechAssualt & MotoGP demo, and Tetris Online Full) has to be started by March 2004. Some people were picking these up at Target for $34.98 on clearence. Someone found that you could extend current subs with the version 2.0 but unfortunately neither local Target has version 2.0 in stock.

15. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Now how come everyone seems to have similar motifs and color pattern for their gamertags?

Is there some kind of standard?

--
    H