Thinking of getting the Krell Showcase pre/pro

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TracyB, Jun 25, 2002.

1. TracyB

TracyB Extra

Im thinking of buying the Krell Showcase pre/pro that I can get for a decent price. It was a toss up between that and the Anthem avm-20. But I have chosen the Krell for the performance. I actually havent heard it but from what I was told it didnt sound much different from the HTS7.1 at 4 grand more. Im coming from a H/K signature 2.0 which I only had for a week and hope the Krell will be an improvement. Im tired of waiting for the Outlaw and the Rotel seems enticing but I might as well go a step up. What do you think.

2. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Yes, you should buy it and post a review. [​IMG]

3. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Isn't the Showcase an all digital unit? No analog passthrough or video switching? I remember my local HT shop salesguy saying that a new all digital Krell was going to be out soon. $4k list right? What kind of pricing are you looking at to compare the Anthem unit from. Some have the Anthem unit at about $2700 with more analog features.
    Of course, if analog is not important, them the Krell should be a fine piece of equipment.
    I second Gordon, buy it and post a review.[​IMG]

4. TracyB

TracyB Extra

It does have video switching and the analog inputs do bypass any digital circuits. Its a fine piece of equipment. When I get it I will do a review.

5. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

I'm curious about this piece as well, Tracy.

What were you able to get it for?...if you don't mind giving the amount, of course. What kind of amplifiers and speakers will you be using?

The Krell sounds very intriguing.

Jeremy

6. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

oooooo, then is sounds like yet another piece to obsess over. You lucky dog you. I'd love to own a Krell but it's too rich for my blood.[​IMG]

7. TracyB

TracyB Extra

The speakers I will be using is the Divas 6.1, R3 and C3s. I have a Sherbourn amp and will be using the balanced input.

8. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

The promised eq on every channel feature is intriuging. Looking forward to your comments.

Tim

9. Dave Herkert

Dave Herkert Agent

I can't tell you about the Showcase, but I recently picked up the Krell HTS (original) from a dealer on closeout. It's a 5.1 DD/DTS unit (plenty for me, since I have no more room for big Klipsch).

This unit produced an across the board, wholesale improvement in my setup. Simply astounding. Just hooking up my DVD as 2 channel digital, and letting the Krell do the processing, was awesome. Detailed, but not harsh. My subwoofers improved 300% in tightness and extension. Krell bass kicks rear!!! My Outlaw 750 and Crown amps perform better than I ever thought possible. The sound of the Krell sings with the term "high end".

I was using an HK AVR 75 as a pre/pro. Needless to say, the Krell is a big step up sonically.

It's a bit dated in some features, but for someone like myself who uses HT in a limited sense, it's more than enough. The Krell does what it attempts to do well. I wanted the sound more than the latest surround features - 5.1 serves me well.

10. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

I think for the $4K market the Bryston SP-1.7 is a VERY strong contender. Great 2 channel pre-amp and great surrounds modes including THX Ultra 2. I have heard the Sp-1 and really liked it so I think the SP-1.7 will please even more!

Mike

11. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Unfortunately, the SP-1.7 is not THX Ultra2. Maybe in the future....

12. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

13. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Agent

Go for it.I will probably end up with one after I recover
    from the Krell amp I bought.The KAV500 was a close out,got a decent deal,but still salty.I'm using my Yam 2095 for a pre amp now,but can't wait to get a good pre amp,like that showcase.I know the amp alone did miraculous things for my systems sound.Especially music.

14. TracyB

TracyB Extra

Its on its way. I should have it by next Tuesday. I cant wait.

15. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Does buying Krell products from an unauthorized dealer will nullify the warranty. I presume this is important for a pre/proc since firmware bugs always has to be issued.

16. Dave Herkert

Dave Herkert Agent

ling -

Krell will not warranty items that are not purchased from Krell authorized dealers. Krell will warranty trade ins and demo units though, if purchased from an authorized Krell dealer. So if the buyer is looking at used Krell from a private party, there is no transferrable warranty.

I paid about 300-400 more for my unit (original HTS) versus the used market with private sellers because of this. I wanted the warranty on this item.

Tracy: We look forward to hearing your impressions of the new unit. If the difference was as striking as my upgrade was, you'll be picking your lower jaw off of the floor. This purchase proved to me just how important the preamp is.

17. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Dave,

that is the point I am trying to make. And looks like Tracy didn't do a cash and carry deal from the local dealer (I could be wrong). Are those people selling new Krell units over the internet authorized dealers?

18. TracyB

TracyB Extra

Actually I didnt purchase locally but the dealer is an authorized dealer. I didnt get the info from the internet but from someone who has dealt with them. I will have a warranty for it.

19. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

common sense dictates that you usually get what you pay for w/ Krell. the showcase line has pricing similar to the older kav line

i would say the showcase series is the "budget" line, much like the "c class" mercedes benz

showcase processor = hts1
    showcase amp = kav-500

i was at the he2002 expo as well
    krell had one of the nicer demos
    7ch on an amp is a great idea

however i could not pass up on the deal i got for the
    KRELL THEATER AMP STANDARD

happy listening and remember...
    KRELL OWNZ JOO

20. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Those Krell people said the Showcase amp is not the same as the KAV-500 because it has Krell current mode, which is not on the KAV-500, plus looking at each board, it is miniscule compared to the KAV-500's, not to mention the filter capacitance gong from >100,000uF to 60,000uF.

Showcase pre/pro should be much more advanced that the HTS. No more thru hole soldering of digital components, but will probably still have the puny transformer of the HTS2.