Thinking of getting the KP53HS30......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vin, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

I'd like to replace my 6 year old 35" Toshiba in my living room with this HD ready RPTV. I'd like a bigger screen and with the couch being ~10' back, I think my room can easily accomodate a 53" set.

I have DirecTV and most of our viewing is 4:3 programming. I'd prefer not to have to use stretch modes or have bars on the sides, hence, my decision not to go widescreen at this point in time. (For the record, I also have a 4 year old 60" analog RPTV in my basement that would more likely be the one that would be replaced with a widescreen set in the future). I've seen the KP53HS30 with a HD feed at Circuit City and was very impressed. Can anyone comment on how this set hadles non-HD programming?

I could get the set for $1800 (before tax and delivery) from Sears, if I buy today.....they have it for $2000 (same price as CC and BB) and they're running one of their 10% off everything sales today. Is this the best I should expect to do on the KP53HS30?

Any opinions anyone can offer on this set would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Vin

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

If you're determined to get a 4:3 set, now is the time to do it. You'll see fewer and fewer of them as we count down to 2006. As with computers, you can save money by buying "behind the curve."

I have a Tosh and love it.

Jan

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Vin,

In the particular circumstances you mention, the KP53HS30 would be an excellent choice. Does a true raster squeeze for both HD and anamorphic dvd, the DRC line doubling for regular ntsc signals is quite good indeed, and the price you quote is very good. That model has been in production now for 2+ years so should be glitch-free. It originally retailed for $2600, so the price you mention is very good indeed.

In your particular circumstances, with the "real" HT in the basement, I'd be more inclined to replace that big analog set now with a widescreen HD ready model for truly outstanding dvd performance and continue with the 35 incher upstairs for regular tv viewing, but my priorities may differ from yours.

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

You might donate the "old beast" to a nursing home and get a tax break. Old people appreciate bigger screens and aren't that concerned about resolution.

Jan

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Vin,

I replaced a perfectly good high-end 53" analog set that was only 2 years old with a new 57" widescreen a year ago. The analog set is still sitting unused in a spare room so I can sympathize with your scenario. I'm about at the point where I may hook up the old set to my variety of video game consoles and use it just for that in order to save wear and tear on the new set.

7. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Maybe you should also consider the Toshiba 50H72, if you still want to go 4x3. I almost bought this one before changing my mind to go w/ a Panny widescreen. The Toshiba 50" is on sale at Best Buy for just $1500--not sure for how long.

_Man_