Thinking of getting out

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
James, you hit the nail on the head with this quote perfectly.
I can conceive of a system that is so close to perfection it reproduces flaws in the original recordings and you find yourself longing for better recorded materials.
You know, I recently did a $6,000 upgrade to my system, and believe me it sounds wonderful. I still long to upgrade my amp and my subwoofer however even with the awesome satisfaction my present system has given me. Why? Because there are still things my system reproduces that sound pretty bad. Could it be my room? Of course it could. But I have realized that 90% of the time it's the recording...something that I could throw thousands of dollars at and still not improve.
Trust me folks, if you have the "average" system of users on this board (high end receiver or separates, decent speakers), you will be able to tell the difference between well recorded material and crap. Brandon, put the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" on DTS on your system and tell me if it still sounds like crap. Then put on a 1970's Kiss Remaster of "Destroyer" and tell me if you can't tell the difference.
What good is a $50,000 setup when most of todays recorded material sounds horrible. You realize this when you actually get your hands on a well recorded piece of music and you sit there and say "there it is!!! The sound I've been looking for...right under my nose this entire time!"
Honestly, it's like an Audio epyphany.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
What good is a $50,000 setup when most of todays recorded material sounds horrible.
The answer is to build a $50K system that focuses on the music, instead of building one that focuses on the recording. In my experience, they are two entirely different things. I've heard systems where I can thoroughly enjoy recordings from the 40s and the 50s, even though it sounds like the musicians are playing at the other end of a tunnel. I've also heard systems where only a handful of well recorded albums are listenable (and those sound really good). My system used to be that way till not too long ago.
Of course, this brings up a different issue, the quality of modern music, as opposed to recordings. And I agree, a $50K system is probably wasted on the Backstreet Boys

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
Brandon,

You have some very nice equipment, but I notice you don’t mention a sub. If you don’t have one, please at least invest in a sub and a parametric EQ (to calibrate the sub’s in-room response) before you bail from the hobby.

Perhaps that is all you are missing. I don’t have Paradigm speakers, but they are highly regarded; it would be hard to imagine that they would sound bad to you.

As others have noted, please try to give some details of exactly what it is about the sound you are unhappy with. If the problem is with the upper frequencies (i.e., the mains, not the subs) perhaps it’s something that tone controls could fix, or repositioning of speakers, etc.

It also might be helpful to know where you live. Perhaps a Forum member could come out and offer some advice.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Interesting thread. Although I can't offer any real advice, Brandon, I can understand how you feel. I just upgraded my receiver the other day. I spent much more money then I ever thought I would in this hobby. So although I am very happy with what I've got I've decided today that I will put a freeze on any upgrades for a long time. Sure my system could sound better, but I also realize that life exists outside of HT & music and I just can't go on spending like this any longer. So I guess I'm kinda lucky that I'm happy with what I have and that I have enough self discipline to stay out of hi-fi shops for a while. In fact I might even lay off the forums for a while (although my buddy who wants to bring over his Classe for me to test out isn't helping!
).
- Mike

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I just wanted to take the time to thank everybody for all the valued advice in this thread. I have read all the repsonses and have taken them all to heart. I think part of my problem is that maybe I do look for the problems, and not appreciate what I have. I think I do read a little to much here on these great forums. I am going to sit with my wife, pop in a new movie, and not worry about it for a while.

I do have a sub, svs 25-31cs, but I don't have adequate power, so that is an issue. My room just sounds to live to me, and sloppy, if that is any where near an approprate term. I know I need some accoustical treatments, and have found a couple sites to help me make my own, and have them be cosmetically acceptable for the WAF.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my thread, hear my frustration, then give me cool, calm advice.

Brandon

Mike Main

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to life.

There will always be something better.

Someone will always make more money than you.

There will always be a prettier girl

Get over it and grow

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I think you're on the right track with improving your room. Acoustic treatments don't have to be ugly, ungainly and in-your-face; you can create stuff that works reasonably well and looks pretty darn good.
Involve the wife in this project and let her give some input on the looks etc! If you explain that for you it's important, I'm sure you can make her relent on the no treatments policy...

I'm in the middle of pondering treatments myself, I basically live in a perpetual echo at the moment... concrete walls, floor and ceiling, yuck. Going to have to do a lot of work to get things right - and since I rent, I'm not sure I can or even want to.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Sorry to get things a little off-topic here but, where's a good place to read up on good acoustic treatments? I never put much thought into it until now. Any suggestions?

- Mike

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I don't know if this whole "get over it" response (which is kind of a cliched buzzphrase) is appropriate here. It doesn't sound to me like this guy is taking a "poor me" approach or moaning that life is unfair - it just seems like he isn't satisfied with his audio setup and maybe this hobby in general (hence the thread's title "Thinking of getting out.") Maybe he would feel better if he changed the way he views the situation, but telling him to just "get over it" hardly seems helpful, in my opinion.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Steve Zimmerman and James Zos's replies just made my system sound 100 times better. Thanks, Fellas!

Bottom line, I feel it's all about perspective.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I think if we all could get a THX Ultra certified system calibrated by George Lucas himself maybe we'd be happy.....maybe not.
Okay you can shoot me now

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
Here's a few comments and ideas:
- I read these boards and magazines to try to satisfy my cravings while looking for the best bang for the buck. For example, I have had the money for the past year and a half, but I only recently upgraded a 7 year old Denon receiver that was not digital. My site had been set on the >$3000 Denon 5800, but after seeing how non-upgradable these flagships were I got a $800 Sony DA5ES. We're still looking for a new TV, which we won't get until a new HD receiver for DISH comes out. Delayed gratification... the journey is better than the destination.
- Quit looking at "better" systems. When I shop I read a lot. I look above and below my price-point. After I make my purchase, I stop looking. I know I get a touch of buyer's remorse if I keep looking because prices keep falling while performance improves. Actually I have not had buyers remorse for several years because of this discipline.
- Read everything with a cynical filter. "Can $500 interconnects make that much of a difference?" Heck, go troll a thread (on another forum) and rip into every esoteric, audiophile product you can find.
But seriously, use a critical eye when you read some of these things. You may find your craving subsiding.
- In the past few years there have not been that many good movies. I agree with the "What good is a $50K system...". Maybe only watch movies with a good bass track and turn up your sub. Then, regardless of the movie you can just wait for you sub to kick in... Mmmmmmm, bass.
- Try to switch from the idea of having a perfect system to tweaking and finessing what you have. Sure, nothing feels like a V8 but you can have a LOT of fun with a little 4-cylinder.
- Re-arrange your room. It could be fun and even make a difference. If not, it will probably keep you in the hobby for another month. Maybe then you'll be out of your funk.
- Find something else you like to spend money on, or get a new hobby. Every time you start thinking of spending money on a new piece of equipment, convert the cost of that to the equivalent amount of the other thing. This will give you perspective. For example, I quit eating hot dogs about 10 years ago...one hot dog, or 10 pieces of Dove Dark Chocolate...Mmmmm, chocolate.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I think it is unfortunate that some people obviously don't read what I wrote very carefully. I said that some of my frustration with this is the fact that I go into stores that have setups that are less than mine, by a decent amount, but sound substantially better than mine. I don't see how this in any way, shape, or form warrants comments such as these:

Welcome to life.

There will always be something better.

Someone will always make more money than you.

There will always be a prettier girl

Get over it and grow
Tell me something I don't know. I am not a kid, don't expect to be talked to as one, and do not appreciate the fact that this thread has somewhat gone that way. I have been searching for advice from people about HT and related topics, not life lessons.

I know that I do have nice equipment, just unhappy with the sound, and I appreciate all of the usefull and carefully thought out responses that I have gotten from the members here. Thanks!

Brandon

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I guess I apologize.
But I don't understand what you're getting out of. The cheesiest home theater in a box is a 1000 times better than what I had 15 years ago - a 17" Sony TV with a 3" speaker and an RCA VCR (w/wired remote) that ate tapes.
I'd say it's a safe bet that your system sounds better than 50% of the people that frequent this forum.
Pop in A DVD and enjoy!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I can relate to many of your feelings because it just gets frustrating after awhile. I have goals that I want to accomplish with my HT system. The problem is there are area's where I am not saticfied with my HT. My system is average I guess but has been a source of enjoyment for a long time. And although sometimes going to HT retailers sometimes get depressing. It is also a source of great insperation knowing I can always make improvements and upgrades when I can afford it. I am alot more critical of the overall performance of my HT than my friends are. My friends are always blown away and impressed, but me I am always looking to make it sound better, lol.

Current Home Theater

Yamaha RV-X995 Receiver, Pioneer DV-525 DVD Player, Denon DCD-1290 Compact Disc Player, Denon DTR-2000 Digital Audio Tape Recorder, Marantz LV-520 Laserdisc Player,Soundcraftsman RP2215-R2 Channel Equalizer,Onkyo Integra TA-2600 Cassette Deck, Onkyo Integra A-8190 Intergrated A/V 2 Channel Amplifier, Onkyo Integra CP-1055 F Turntable, Panasonic PV-9660 VHS Recorder, Dish Network Satalite Dish, Toshiba 31" Color TV Direct View, Altec Voice of the Theater speakers for the Main channel, Polk Audio CS-100 Center channel speaker, Advent Marble speakers for the rear - one pair each side.

I realize that this is only a mid level system at best but has given my much enjoyment and is a work in progress. I hope to have a web page for you all to see sometime within the next month.

Dave Moritz

Whittier, CA

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandrikmaneha