1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of getting out

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon_T, May 5, 2002.

1. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I have been a HT fan for many years now. I am still fairly young but more often than not, I find myself frustrated with this hobby. I don't have an enormous budget like some, but have kept upgrading when I can.

The main problem is I am not very satisfied with the sound of the equipment that I have. I go into stores whose setep's are not as nice as mine, and yet it sounds better than what I have. I know a good bit of it has to do with my room. There is nothing I can do about that, just the way it is. I have fairly good equipment, but consistantly find myself disappointed when I sit to watch a movie and then realize how much money this has tied up.

I am totally out of money and not happy. This is not a healthy combination. So I am very close to coming to the conclusion of selling just about everything and using some older Klipsch that I have around here. Sorry, just needed to get this off of my chest. It is something that my wife does not understand and I know you guys would.

Frustrated

Brandon

2. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I'm 22 and sometimes all of the money from my checks goes to something dealing with HT, and I know that's not healthy.
    Anywaysm this helped me out - sit down one day and think about all of the things that are important to you - and what you actually enjoy doing. I noticed I own 100+ DVDs that I've only watched once and twice on rare occasion DVDs. Also, I had nearly 30 games - until you sit down to think about what you actually play or enjoy you may be stuck in a collection mode. There is no problem with that unless you realize you can't afford it (like me).
    In the long run, selling off your HT will mean nearly nothing money wise (unless it's something worth thousands of dollars). If you feel like you must "leave" for now, I'd "cut your losses" - keeping your existing stuff, and find new pathways through life to spend your time with. As they say, love will come back to you if it's right - I bet the same pertains to HT!
    -ELmO[​IMG]

3. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I can sympathize. I have a pretty darn good room for listening, but I want more from my system and I just don't have the $$$ for better mains and the amplification I want. I am also getting frustrated and have considered getting out because it's too costly, to get the satisfaction I really want....In the end, I suspect it's like any other addiction in that sense.
    I would not consider selling off my stuff, however. I'll just need to re-prioritize and spend my resources (including time) in some areas where I can realize some improvement. After all, my stuff is pretty solid and would impress most people I know. You are all exceptions, of course [​IMG]. Maybe I'll start lifting weights again or cycling. Those are things that have gone to the wayside over the years. Good thing I didn't sell off my bikes. [​IMG]
    Best of luck,
    --Steve

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

maybe you could post a picture and some dimensions of your room...there may be ways that are not too costly to achieve a better balance

5. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I am surprised because after hearing quite a few of the new HTB, I think there is satisfactory sound at practically all price points. The law of diminishing returns is always there as the more money you spend, the less improvement you get proportionately.

6. Serge Breton

Serge Breton Supporting Actor

Brandon,

the room is the key component to make any system sound it's best. If you want the best sound possible from your system i would look at some acoustic treatment or even DIY treatment if you are on a budget. Good acoustic treatment is the best upgrade anyone can make, better than that new prepro, cables, speakers, whatever. You will notice a deeper/wider soundstage, increased focus, imaging to die for and your sytem will come to life. If done properly, the room tends to disappear as if you were in the movie or at the concert rather than listening to your speakers. If you have a combo home theater, listening room then some compromises need to be made to get the best sound from both worlds (with home theater you would like to hear direct sound only and with music you want more ambience or reflected sound) but the effort is well worth it.

7. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

Honestly, I think spending a ton of cash on a home theater is somewhat pointless. The vast majority of the material that takes advantage of a 5.1+ system isn't something I would normally be interested in. Yet, I consider buying DVDs simply because they have deep bass and neat effects. (JP3, TPM)

On the other hand, I can justify spending a good bit of cash on a good stereo setup for music. Nothing relaxes me like a good album on a good stereo. Sort of makes you forget everything else in life.

My advice for you would be to keep your setup for now, hold on the upgrading for a bit, and try to enjoy what you have. If in time, you feel that the money would be better spent on another hobby, go for it.

But, take my suggestion with a grain of salt. Being a 17 year old who is completely obsessed with home audio, I might be just slightly hypocritical.

8. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

I agree with Serge, the room has more impact on the speaker's sound, in the final analysis, than anything else.

I decided a couple years ago to start studying acoustics a little more in-depth (books like F. Alton Everest's), because with a better understanding of cause and effect I could improve my listening environment.

I also decided to get an MLS-based acoustic measurement system (ETF5 PC software) with a calibrated mic to evaluate and record my adjustments.

It has really helped me optimize xovers, correct room modes, adjust speaker placement, etc.

My system sounds quite different, cleaner, better 3D soundstage, smoother frequency response all from my adjustments. I'm primarily listen to 90/10 music/HT anyway.

Just another way to occupy the mind, and being over 50 I want to make sure I do plenty of that.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

9. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Brandon, this is Joe, I checked out those Klipsch's a week or so ago........I'm sorry to hear that you're having these feelings, as you'd be leavign the "scene" while I was just entering from the shallow end. Hopefully someone in here can give you some ideas or some rationale to help you find out what's "wrong" so that you won't have to get rid of this amazing hobby. And from your setup, I hope that you wouldn't have to get rid of everything, since it's really nice.

Sorry I don't have anything more helpful to say, hopefully someone with more experience can help you out.

10. Serge Breton

Bruce,
    after a new home theater remodel, i am getting ready to tune my room and place my acoustic treatment OPTIMALLY by using ETF5 as well. I have not used this software in a couple of years. If i have any troubleshooting with this revised software to do can you assist me? I will keep your mind occupied, believe me[​IMG] Send me an email if your interested in helping out a youg acoustics guru (i'm 29) with your expertise. Thanks

11. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Have you calibrated your system with a test disc and a sound level meter? I don't have a top of the line soundsystem by any stretch of the imagination and it's hard to imagine any room providing such a negative enviornment as to tempt me to look for a new hobby.

12. Serge Breton

which reminds me, the room is only part of the equation, proper speaker placement and listening position are all critical factors whether you acoustically treat your room or not. Just be moving your speakers around by as little as a couple of inches can have a drastic impact on sound quality at the listening position. This IS fact not fiction!

Of course most hometheater enthusiasts know this, often this important requirment is overlooked mostly due to asthetic reasons. Shove the one speaker in/next to the fireplace you say?

13. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Agent

Brandon,

How do you feel when you listen to the old Klipsch speakers you have? Some of that old Klipsch stuff is superior, in my opinion, to a lot stuff out now. In that respect, newer doesn't necessarily translate into better. Sit down with the Klipsch, forget about money and features and electrics and endless upgrading and everything else, and really just think about the music and how you feel listening to it. Simpler may turn out to ultimately be more satisfying. Possibly not, but doesn't hurt to try.

I know how elusive attaining great sound can be, a holy grail you can spend all your money and time trying to achieve, and never quite getting just there - whatever you have, it can always be just a little bit better... And often things you think will improve your sound ultimately don't quite work that well in your setup.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

14. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Once you have bought what you need/not want. It is time to quit for 5-10 years. No system is what you want. I have been down that road. You need a family room for your family not a stereo. Life is full of compromises and disappointments. Enjoy what you have. My 3802 is where I stop for now. I should have stayed with a 5.1 set up and not got caught up in the 7amp feeding frenzy. A quality 5 amp system is very nice and practical.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ps / My old JVC AV888 5.1 is still in use in my master bedroom. My wife loves it with two very small speakers. I offered to get two better speakers, but she said it was perfect for cd's in the morning. See my "I had a dream" post. When I was very young and over seas, at the end of the Vietnam War, I loaded up on quad gear. Thousands of $$$$ in equipment. Then Quad went out of style the next year.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I can relate to what Warf said, " its a good day to die" when it needs to be done, however, at home in the USA it is a good day to be alive!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Live long and prosper.

15. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Word to that.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Thanks to all for the words of advice. I have properly calibrated my system with a RS sound meter. I really think that room treatments would make my room sound much better, but the wife is pretty much against it. The room demensions are 12x24x9. I have pretty decent equipment. Anthem amp, paradigm 100's and matching studio gear around, SVS 25-31. Just have to make the decision on what to do. On one hand, the stuff is already paid for, and I know that in a few years I would just buy new stuff again, but on the other hand, I have this decent size investment, and am not content with it. AAAHHHH this is all part of the hobby I guess. Thanks again all. Anymore comments are appreciated.

Brandon

17. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Brandon, if you are unsatisfied with the sound quality of your system then you'd be really pissed if you had to listen to mind [​IMG] My stuff was all decent when I got it but the speakers and receiver are about four years old now. While I don't have the best stuff avalible I'm 99% sure that I have the best system on the block which is all I ask. If you run yourself ragged shooting for the best possible setup then you'll end up both broke and dissapointed.

18. Serge Breton

Brandon,

what about the sound in your room do you not like? Is it the bass? My room is a little smaller than yours at 12x18.5x8 and am happy with the results. I see your room dimensions are all multiples of 3 which could be bad news for room nodes but with good speaker placement, etc this could be minimised. Yes, the good old WAF....

19. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

Brandon, I understand completely. I wouldn't sell your equipment, you will just lose money and I wouldn't think that would make you any happier. Sounds like we may be in similar situations. Unless I have $10,000 to spend, I don't think anymore upgrades will may my current setup sound any better. The most frustrating part is that after spending all the time, effort, and money on HT, it really seems as if there aren't any good movies left to watch. There are a ton of movies I love.

On the other hand, I am almost ashamed that I have spent the amount of money on my system as I have only to have to be insulted every Tuesday with the new releases. I don't care how good it looks or sounds, a crappy movie is still a crappy movie. Take a break from HT for a while, the money is already spent. Focus your energies on something different like your home, family, job, etc. Then go to the video store every Tuesday, rent the new ones and laugh at yourself. I mean whats funnier than renting "Texas Rangers" and in all honesty saying to your wife "that wasn't really THAT bad"?

20. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Go outside and play and read books. When a good movie comes along, pop it in and enjoy. You should explore solutions to your sound in terms of what might be wrong with your room or maybe your equipment is broken.