What's new

Thinking of getting Direct TV DSS system (1 Viewer)

Eric_Hamilton

Auditioning
Hello,
I have been thinking for a long time about a Direct TV DSS system for some time now. I ws wondering if Direct TV DSS subscribers could tell me the pro/cons of this system?
Thanks for your time,
Eric

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It would help if we knew what you wanted out of it. Just to replace cable? Movies (with Dolby Digital)? Sports fan? High definition programming? Personal video recorder for timeshifting?
I was a DirecTV subscriber until last year at this time. I was satisfied with their system but I wanted to upgrade. I switched to Dishnetwork to take advantage of their new subscriber deals and picked up a HD receiver for dirt cheap. I also got a Dishplayer (PVR receiver). I didn't know what to expect since I had only read about them. They will change the way you watch TV. I also like the programming better on Dish. More channels that I watch for less money.
-Robert

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I was originally going towards Directv as they had a promo going on for $49 for a multiroom installation including some free entry-level receivers but I got real angry when a local electronics chain tryed the ole bait and switch thing on me and had a real idiot as a salesperson. But for the money, it was a decent deal, the minimum plan was $22 but realistically, the better plan that was more like basic cable was $31, still a good deal. But after that fiasco with a local retailer, I decided to go with Dish after doing more research into the programming. The plan that I wanted from dish was $40/mo, about $10 more than direct, but you get more channels, music, etc. I'm not much a sports fan, in the sense of Football, Baseball, basketball, but I'm a huge fan of cycling, table tennis, adventure racing, tennis, etc. so the NFL packages didn't really entice me for Directv.
After going to Dish and the AT150, and having it for a week, I'm more than satisfied with the 501 PVR system. I didn't think I needed it but after taping the Tour de France from OLN, I don't know if I could live without it. Already, i have about 20 hours of the TdF and it's great to be able to tape the 4 hours (!!!!) of live coverage in the morning so I can watch it when I'm free. I get a great signal over here and the picture is very good on my small 20" TV.
From what I've heard and seen, Directv has the National Geographic channel which dish doesn't have which was one of the things that sounds cooler than Dish and Directv has OLN in their $30/mo plan which is cheaper than Dish's AT150 but overall, I think I'm still happy with the Dish even though I'm paying a bit more than Directv.. Go with the one which has the programming you like the most, anything beats cable.
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Eric_Hamilton

Auditioning
As far as sports are concerned, I like my home town teams. The Sonics and The Seahawks and UW Football, and NCAA finals basketball. Outside of that, I don't follow any other teams.
I also got the 'Practical guide to Choosing a Satellite System." After reading this booklet, think it was published by the cable companies.
I do have some other questions. Do most people use a TV antenna to pick up the local channels? My dad used to have a DSS system and then switched to Digital Cable. He likes it better. What are your thoughts on Digial Cable?
Thanks for you input.
Eric

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
You'll get the Seattle ABC, CBS, NBC & Fox stations on the dish for a small charge - around $5 - and the national PBS.
The consensus seems to be that satellite dish systems are superior to any form of cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks