What's new

Thinking of buying this TV Set .. Opinions? (1 Viewer)

BrianJacks

Auditioning
I sold home theater equipment for Sears for a few years, so I'm not exactly new to this game. However, that was three years ago and I haven't really been keeping up on the television side of the business.
Anyway, I found a TOSHIBA 27AF41 27" that's looking pretty nice, and Continental Trade has a good price on it. If I don't get it through them, I could always have another place price-match it.
I'm interested in what people think of the set, and whether they think it's a good deal. It's just for my apartment, so 27" should work out fine. And I consider Toshiba to be one of the top brands in picture tubes, so I'm not worried about the brand.
The URL for the set is:
http://continentaltrade.com/tos27af27inf.html
Obviously I'd prefer a 16:9 set, but I don't really want to spend more than $500 (before shipping, taxes or whatnot). If anyone has any suggestions on a good 16:9 that fits my criteria, I'm all ears.
I've talked enough. Opinions? Thanks in advance.
-Brian

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Pick up a Sony Wega 27", or a Samsung DynaFlat 27". Both have 16:9 vertical compression for 480i anamorphic feeds (DVDs, Videogames, etc.)

The Toshiba is just as good as the other two sets when viewing normal 4:3 material, but there is quite a difference with anamorphic material when viewing it in full resolution versus downconverted letterbox.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
The model numbers for the Samsung and Sony are TXM2791F and KV-27FS13. Both sell for around $500 online.

BrianJacks

Auditioning
Thanks very much for the suggestions. The Sony looks very interesting. Regarding the Samsung, a search on google for the model # you gave me doesn't bring anything up. It did bring up a TXL2791F, but that seems a lower-end unit with the average price being about 300-450.
The review on CNET for the Sony gives it high praise. I'm a bit unfamiliar with the 16:9 "enhanced mode," though. Does that feature of the WEGA truly make a significant viewing difference as opposed to, for example, that Toshiba? Broadway Computer is selling the KV27FS13 for 463.85 (http://www.broadwaycomputer.com/shop...ctCode=2005020), which sounds like a pretty good deal, no?
Also, one other thing. I've been reading quite a few comments from people who say their WEGAs are displaying weird pink lines. I've also been reading that people are having severe problems with geometrical distortion (ie CNN news tickers are rounded). Are these two problems widespread? Should I worry about buying a WEGA because of them?
Thanks,
Brian

Roel_S

Agent
The Samsung model is TXL2791F and is very very good compare to the Sony's, Toshiba's, and Panasonic's. Better sounds as well. Tweeter store still sells them but they are being replaced by a new model which puts the speaker at the bottom. Frankly I like mine at the side for better surround sound effects. The 16:9 switch button was one of the reason I bought it but you get more extra like better picture quality, no geometry problem and the price is less than the other 3 brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks