What's new

Thinking of buying Panasonic TH-50PX25U/P Plasma (1 Viewer)

Darren_T

Second Unit
I have a friend that works for Panasonic and can get me a deal on their 50" plasma set.

I did a search but didn't find much info on the Panasonic plasmas but did find a couple positive remarks about the 42".

I'm a home theater guy who has decided to go plasma rather than rear projection for light control and asthetic reasons. I really don't know much about plasma sets, I'm afraid of the dreaded burn-in issue while watching 4:3 TV because my wife refuses to watch stretched. I might be able to convince her but is the burn-in a sure thing? I also have an xbox but only play occasionally.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on the Panasonic and any advice on plasma sets in general.

Thanks a ton.

Darren

Darren_T

Second Unit
I also have a friend that works at Philips so I could get their 50" plasma but I'm a little confused about the contrast ratio...why are most Plasma sets rated around 1000:1 where the Panasonic is 3000:1. Is the Panasonic spec inflated or just that much better in contrast?

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I'm about to buy the Panasonic ED 42" set and heard nothing but great things about it.

The contrast is the best in the industry, higher than the Philips.

I'm not sure if this is accurate but I read Panasonic has a screen saver on the letterbox to prevent burn-in. So you can go to 4:3 without worry. What you really need to worry about is on screen logos like Fox News. Those things don't go away and will burn in if you leave them on long enough (my wife doesn't know HOW she's going to play Pac Man on a plasma thanks to burn in! :D )

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
My wife had the same concern but she got used to the stretch. It's old hat now.

Personally, the only thing better picture wise(on plasmas) than the Panasonic are the Fujitsus and they are alot more expensive.

LewB

Screenwriter
I got the 42PX25 thru the Panasonic employee's web site. I loved the price and I love the set. Do it ! :D

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Well, I've seen both pioneer and panasonic based units that were professionally calibrated for store use get burn in as a result of them playing a film demonstration loop over and over ... took about 4 months based on how the store displayed them.

Always be weary ... it may take longer for you, but it will still happen if you are not careful. 4:3 is still considered a killer.

Regards

Darren_T

Second Unit
Thanks guys, I've recently finished reading the Master Burn-in thread and it looks like less of an issue than I thought but definately something to consider as I decide on what to buy.

Personally, I'd prefer to buy a DLP rear projection set but we really want our family room back (Currently have a 60" Toshiba rear projection) and placing a plasma above the mantle for our gas fireplace really appeals to us. We'd be able to have the home theater all tucked away and use the room for entertaining as well as TV/HT.

Rich H

Second Unit
Darren_T,

Don't consider the Phillips over the Panasonic. It's not in the same league. You are very lucky that you can get a deal on a Panasonic as they are in many ways the best plasma you can buy. The hardest thing for plasmas and other digital technologies to achieve are good, deep black levels, which are very important for good contrast and a deep rich picture under all lighting conditions. The Panasonic plasmas have licked this problem best. That is especially important if you are thinking "Home Theater" for the display, which I equate with turning the lights down low.

This review of a Panasonic plasma vs some other well-regarded plasmas tells some of the story:

Perfect Vision Plasma Shoot Out

Burn-in is a concern if you "abuse" the plasma. Just like any CRT tv, if you watch predominantly 4:3 content you will likely get burn-in eventually. (To what degree, and if it's even noticeable on regular viewing is up in the air).

However, if you mix up your content, using X-Box, 4:3 and widescreen DVDs/Hi-Def channels, you should have little to worry about. Many have done just that with no problem. Further, if you properly calibrate your plasma, which involves lowering contrast/brightness, your risk of burn-in is much reduced. I've had my Panasonic plasma about 2 1/2 years, playing all sorts of content and there isn't a hint of burn-in.

You can click on the link below my name to see DVDs playing on my Panasonic plasma.

Have fun.

SimiA

Second Unit
I like the panny glass. The contrast ratio is about the best around, and the PQ is quite stunning, especially when fed an HD signal!
Vb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks