Thinking of Buying an Xbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    With the price drop I'm considering picking up a Box. I'd like to get some feedback on the performance of it using the HD Pack, specifically an a Mits Widescreen set, I have the 65807. I had a PS2 and the image in it left alot to be desired with the jaggies and all. Also I found I had to crank the brightness in order to get a playable picture, especially on First person shooters where there were alot of drk areas. I have a DTC100 hooked up to my Hi def input so would I just be hooking the HD Pack into the 480p input?

I'd probably be picking up Halo and WSB2K3, is there a big concern with Halo's Health bar causing burn? I usually try to pump contradt down a few notches.

I'd hate to jump for a box and have the same experiences as the PS2 which I don't own any longer....

Any comments apreceiated.

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Dave,
    I love my XBox on my 16x9 Panasonic 47" HD set. I have the HD pack.
    There will still be some jaggies. The native resolution is still 480p for all the games I've played (although it is said that they could program games in 1080i for it).
    But when compared to my friend's PS2 via S-Video on my set, there is no comparison. The XBox with the HD pack looks terrific. And games that have 16x9 support (particularly Hunter and Dead or Alive 3, both of which I own) are amazing. But you have to be sure and set the dashboard (XBox's console settings) to widescreen and activate 480p, 1080i and 720p (if your set accepts it), as well as DTS and DD support.
    I've not regretted my XBox purchase (currently own DOA3, Hunter, Simpsons Road Rage (Crazy Taxi set in the Simpsons world) and Madden 2002). [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Get it. I've got an Xbox and a Mits 55857. It looks awesome - definitely worth it. I bought on launch day (gulp) so I paid a bit more, but it's staying for quite a while in my setup. Can't wait to get Morrowind - my next addiction! [​IMG]

4. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Dave do you find the image Dark or does it look ok when Playing Halo Etc.. how do you have yours hooked up. The 65807 only has one 1080i input which I have used for my DTC100, would I plug the HD pack into one of my component 480p inputs? Of course the set has no 720p input so I think it's 480p or 1080i or bust

5. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

My XBox is running on a Mitsubishi 65907 and it looks fantastic. A definite improvement over the PS2, which I also own. You will still see some jaggies but that's to be expected on such a large screen.

Use one of your other component hookups for the XBox. I don't think that there are any games out yet that put out 1080i so you're not missing anything with 480p.

I find Halo and Hunter to be a little dark in places and I have the brightness turned up just a little to compensate. The night missions in Halo can be a little difficult if I'm playing during the day but my family room is also very bright.

6. Carlo Medina

I had my set ISF'd by Michael TLV. Some games are darker on the set, but they usually have a brightness adjust in-game (DOA3 & Hunter). If it gets bad, all I need is to add +1 or 2 to contrast and/or brightness and that's usually enough. Not a big deal.

I use the component input into my HD set (480p).

7. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

I have a Mits 46805 and I think it looks awesome on there. I agree about the PS2 and sometimes it depends on what game you have. PS2 Medal of Honor looks great on there but Metal Gear solid looked like shite.
    As far as the XBOX goes I wouldn't hesitate to get that bad boy and hook it up for all it's maximum glory.

8. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well I got an XBOX tonight.. picked up the HDTV pack to go with it and rented a copy of Halo. Wow what a difference from the PS2. The 480p really makes alot of difference the image is nice and Anti aliased and smooth. I can't believe Halo what an excellent game, When I had my PS2 the game I enjoyed was Red Faction, but Halo blows it away, of course I got stuck right away trying to find my way off the ship.
    My only concern is the Health bar in the game, but I have my Brightness a couple clicks from middle and the contrast also about 3 clicks down, the sets been ISf's so I should be ok, I'll just try to limit Halo (as much as I can) still I wish microsoft could have a setting to make the Hud go away, Red faction had this.

What also got me is the excellent sound and I don't even have it hooked up for 5.1 yet, Have to get an optical cable. This payday gonna have to find myself a copy of Halo and WSB2K2 to buy.

So far I'm very happy with the Xbox....

9. Carlo Medina

Man, I envy you guys who can play FPS games. I get dizzy (vertigo?) from the perspective, and then nauseous if I continue playing a few more minutes after the initial symptoms.
    Luckily, I can do racing games fine, just not FPS (Doom, Unreal, Serious Sam, Halo, etc.). [​IMG]
    Congrats on the XBox, David, I'm glad you like it. If you like fighting games, give DOA3 a rent. Pure eye-candy at the minimum, and a much deeper game than people give it credit for (sure it's not Street Fighter, but it's still a fun and challenging game).

10. David Scott

David Scott Stunt Coordinator

Congrats on the purchase...I just bought mine a week ago, and yes, Halo is amazing. I've also played Red Faction on the PS2 and Halo absolutely blows it away...both in the single and multiplayer game. I just need to find someone else with an x-box to link them. Multiplayer Halo on 2 tv's must be awesome. Maybe if I can stop playing games I can finally try the x-box out as a dvd player.

11. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Bought one tonight. I haven't even opened Halo yet. I've been playing the demos on the X-Box magazine disc. Spiderman is pretty cool, might have to buy it since CC has it for $40 this week.

Anyone have Morrowind yet? How is it vs. PC? I have it for the PC and it's great. Anyone know if you can use savegames and/or plug-ins from the PC?

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

14. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

Morrowind is supposed to have "hooks" in it so it will accept future expansions in a similar manner to the Dead or Alive add on.