What's new

Thinking of buying a Honda S2000 (1 Viewer)

Jason_H

Second Unit
...and was curious if there are any S2K owners here on the HTF and what you think of it? I am growing fonder of this car the more research I do into it! Any feedback appreciated, positive or negative...

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I've never driven the car, but you have to be aware that the S2000 has a VTEC-like engine. That is, there will be little torque until it goes over the 6000 RPM range (9000 RPM maximum I think). So, don't expect to drag-race the gas-guzzling muscle cars anytime soon!

Think of the S2000 as a more upscale Mazda Miata, and you should be happy.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Bitch car? That's peculiar. The S2000 is a sophisticated sports car with terrific performance and reliability. I'd love to hae one.

Hanwook_K

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Prelude (year 2000) - far from being a S2000. The Prelude is not a muscle car - no torque, but when I drive it hard above vtec its a FUN CAR TO DRIVE!! Its because its hard to keep it in VTEC and rev'd at the right rmp to enter and exit into the corners. So when you can drive it well (which require some effort) its very VERY rewarding.

S2000 is a sports car - it is a harder car to drive to get peak performance because you have to be at the higher RMP to take advantage of the engine. The other downspot is that at 9,000rpm it is a loud car.

One last comment, my friend who is about 6' was not comfortable sitting in an S2000. His legs hit the center console.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

A great choice. You can't go wrong with it, but make sure you test-drive it first and it meets all your needs.

I personally for something cheaper, would go with Nissan's 350Z (Base Model)

As for Convertibles, there is nothing in that price range I would take over the S2000.

Ray

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"I hate the S2000. It's a bitch car along with the miata."

And this is coming from?????

Although you may not be a fan of either car, to call tham a "bitch car" show a lack of knowledge about these cars.

The Miata was/is the first great attempt to bring a convertible roadster to the masses at a reasonable price . Sure it was underpowered , but driving characteristics were near ideal for rallying, and the car is "fun to drive"

Now the S2000. I don't know, but any review I've read says it's pretty near ideal for a racetrack. As with most Hondas of anything but very recent vintage the torque is somewhat limited and a little high in the rev range. Drive the car lightly and you get good gas mileage and a comfortable ride.

Open it up though and almost any Honda has a very high "fun to drive" quotient.

Sure the S2000 in particular could use a little more torque in the low end(30-40 Ftlbs would be nice), but measuring a sports car mearly(sp?) by performance #s is not giving a car its due. The NSX was/is so perfect that journalists usually wax poetic about how mundane the car is to drive. VERY much like a Civic .... anybody can drive it and use 95% of the maximum performance of the car ..... Not many real sports cars can say that.

Brent
Please look at the complete package!

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
VTEC-like engine
Actually, it is a 2.0l VTEC engine, and it's precisely because of the VTEC that it has MORE torque than a high-strung, small-cube engine would otherwise. Variable-valve lift allows the engineers to design in "two engines" in a way. One- low lift, low RPM motor, that will maximize torque down low, and Two- higher lift, for high RPM, to build horsepower up high in the rev range.
The torque is lacking because it's a 2.0l. There's simply no way (as of yet) to get V6 torque out of a naturally aspirated engine that small.
The S2000 is an exceptional car, but if you want to drive fast, you really have to get the revs up. Want to rip 6 seconds to 60- launch at 6000rpm, and slip the clutch hard. Fun, though- it wails like a motorcycle engine. Handling is unbelievable (I used to own a Corvette, so I have a decent reference:) ). I've only driven one once, but the impression it left was good.
A good sports convertible, with Honda reliability.:emoji_thumbsup:
As Ferris would say, "if you have the means, I highly recommend it."
Todd

Jason_H

Second Unit
I guess I should say that I currently own a '94 Prelude VTEC, so I am used to less torque...but MAN when the VTEC kicks in....:) I can imagine on the S2000 it would be more like :eek:
Personally, I prefer this. I appreciate great engineering and design....I don't like most American sports cars (the Mustang, Camero, Firebird, etc....NOT the Viper and Corvette) at all...either from their looks or spec sheets. It's almost like they dumped that 5.0L engine in there because they couldn't figure out how to design it worth a damn. Those F-1 cars sure don't use a 5.0L engine, and :eek:
I have also considered the Maxda RX-8 (but it's not going to be out for a WHILE) and the Nissan 350Z (I'm not crazy about the rear end of that one), but I like the Honda name, both of the Preludes I've owned (my first car 1985, and my '94 VTEC) have been wonderful and trouble free.
I will definately test drive one before I go for it, obviously, and I've met a couple of friends of friends that have them who have offered to take me out and show me what they can do!

Jason_H

Second Unit
There is no WAY I can afford the BMW M3...probably another 20k over an S2000, and I don't even like the way it looks as much as the S2000.!

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Actually, Jeff is referring to the M-Roadster, not the M3. It's about $10k more than the S2000. It has all the characteristics of the S2000, plus more HP and waaaay more torque. More than worth the extra 10k, I think.
The car mags say the S2000 handles slightly better, but you'd have to be a really experienced driver to take advantage of (or even notice) that difference.
Jason, you really need to drive the S2k. I've never had the chance. I do hear about a lot of people trading them in after a short time because it wasn't what they expected. As long as you like what it offers, then it's an awesome car.

Jason_H

Second Unit
Ahhhhh, okay Jared. Well, an extra $10k would still be pushing past my budget though.

I am aware that there are a quite a few used ones out on the market right now, my understanding is they are probably from people who have a family or just had a kid and found out it just wasn't practical, OR, they weren't prepared to own a true sports car.

Everyone I have talked to has said this isn't a watered down mass market sports car, you have to know how to drive it. I LIKE that, don't compromise for the masses. I'm sure a lot of these people get freaked out when they give too much gas going through a turn and lose the back end. I consider myself a good driver and I know how car physics work and how a car handles.

I also like that this car is unique...there are only about 15k of them out on the roads since their arrival in 2000.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
The Porsche Boxter is the only other car like the S2000. I prefer the Honda, but that is just me. The Boxter is a great car too. I just love the sound of VTEC at high RPMs. And when you hear the VTEC kick in and feel the extra rush of power it will always put a smile on my face. I have an Acura 3.2 CL with a 3.2 V6 with VTEC. It may only have a 6250 RPM redline, but after 4000 RPM it is a blast.

What most people don't realize about the S2000, while it has a lack of power, it handles like a dream. It has perfect 50/50 weight distribution and sticks way into the corners, something muscle cars don't have.

As a pure race car on the track, it is great, but for normal driving, beware of one thing. The 6 speed transmission needs a lot of shifting because you have to get the revs up to accelerate.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
2 days ago my friend and I in his 90 formula firebird raced a new model 360 Modena (Ferrari).
The Ferrari went full out on us and blew us away off the line and in the long stretch. I couldn't believe the high pitch roar it and how it jerked with each tire chirping shift. We got so wasted.. :frowning:
Anyways, the S2000 is more of a sporty handling car like a Porsche Boxter (Though I like the S2000 better). The cabin is small, so it's not for big ppl. I'm 5'9" and pretty skinny and it fits me like a glove. The engine sounds like your typical small high revving Honda. Don't expect a lot of performance in upgrades since a Turbo charger will hardly make a difference.
Even a Honda that's fully upgraded like the Spoon S2000 isn't all that great for real racing (According to GT2 hehe). It's a convertable with a small engine so you know it's more of a stylin roadster than a race car.
I think it's a fun car to drive. The rear end I love, the front hood is kinda long/weird looking.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I hate the S2000. It's a bitch car along with the miata
This deserves the ol' :rolleyes
Do you think car and driver would've given the miata Top10 awards for almost every year since it came out if it was a "bitch car"? The handling and fun-to-drive quotient is what makes the miata sucha great car.
The S2000 isnt a drag racer, but it is an awesome car to drive. You gotta drive it like ya stole it if you wanna get some power out of its 1.9l engine though.

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
S2000 is a weekend cruiser, thats all, and the only head turning would be from shifting at 5500RPM to keep up with traffic.

Great paragraph I read years ago, summed up the S2000 well...

The S2000 is targeted at the customer who really wants an NSX but
can't afford it. Unfortunately, this owner will still drive the S2000
like he would an NSX, and perhaps not as cautiously as the owner of an
NSX, and certainly doesn't have the resources to maintain the NSX...
OR the S2000.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I see much more S2ks and a ton of Miatas more than my MR2 Spyder.

I am lucky to see one (other than mine of course) MR2 in a month over here. It's slower than the S2k, but it has decent useable torque at a lower RPM than the faster S2k. Plus, it's actually fun to drive a car that you need to learn how to drive properly. If you're not in the right gear and RPM, you will be slow as a duck, which forces you to learn proper shifting/driving techniques, which is more fun (at least for me) than having an M-roadster and have gobs or torque at any speed. Feels more like driving than mashing the pedal and also harder to get into trouble. The MR2, being a mid-engines light car can get into serious trouble on wet roads and tight turns. I already know some other owners who have lost it on some wet turns out there..

There is some cool video floating around on the roadster boards of somebody in an S2k doing donuts and stuff around cones... I'm sure somebody will post it here... right?

Ja

CharlesD

Screenwriter
The S2000 a great car, a real sports car. It has excellent handeling but is apparently quite twitchy on slick surfaces. It doe snot have much torque down low ans torque is dependent on instantaneous force (through displacement or boost.) It of course makes up for that with the VTEC and high rpms.

Its not a good daily driver but it is a true sports car.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, the high strung engine doesnt have very much torque. The equation for Horsepower is basically torque x rpm. The 1.9l engine just cant develop that amount of torque. So to get more horses, they got it revving up to 9000rpms

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks