What's new

Thinking of building a MAME box... (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I have some old parts sitting around, and I'm thinking about building a second box for Mame/Mp3/video playback to hook into my TV. Problem is, anything I've had up until this point that does TV output has looked like crap-text is almost completely unreadable, and the resolution is garbage. Any suggestions for what to use to get decent TV output (keeping in mind that money is an object).

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
TV output never will look as good as a computer monitor. NTSC composite or S-video has much lower resolution than is possible using a super VGA RGB interface.

Video output for games will probably look fine, but GUI and text displays will probably be ugly.

Most HTPC users connect to projectors via RGB SVGA interface to preserve the fidelity and resolution of the computer video signal. If you are using a direct-view or RPTV set without RGB inputs, you are stuck with the limitations of the video out...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
TV output never will look as good as a computer monitor. NTSC composite or S-video has much lower resolution than is possible using a super VGA RGB interface.
Video output for games will probably look fine, but GUI and text displays will probably be ugly.
For MAME & other emulators, SVideo works great - I've got such a setup at home. These games weren't designed to be played on ultra crisp monitors.
The best place for info on "Mame Boxes", whether hardware or software, is BYOAC. Great set of guides, links, and a great messageboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks