Thinking of bi-wiring my speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Andrew Pezzo, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I got new speakers recently, Def Tech BP7001sc's and was thinking of bi-wiring them. This is new to me and need some help on where to start. I was at a AV store and they had some at $5 a foot. I would like to spend less than that since I need about 35-50 feet. I tried looking at partsexpress.com but couldnt find any. On the Ascend Acoustics website (I think) I believe they had some for around $3 a foot. I would like to keep the cost down just in case I dont hear any auible difference.

Are there any issues invloved with bi-wiring speakers, in other words, is if different than "normal" spreaker wire except for 2 sets of conductors. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I just Bi-wired with AR Proseries II 16G wire. Worked out to about 60cents(CDN)/ft. Cut my wire into 8ft lenghts, trimmed of the ends, placed 2 ends into one banana plug(for amp) and 2 banana plugs on the other ends. So you should end up with :

| |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    /
    |

With the | being the plugs. You can buy the expensive cable that has everything seperated for you but thats a waste.

Kevin