Thinking of attic mount antenna for HD OTA tuner

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike_J_Potter, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

I am thinking of replacing my current small amplified antenna with a attic mount model. Right now with some adjustments I can pick up HD broadcasts though depending on conditions sometimes it works placed at my backsiding door of my basement, or sometimes I have to string the cabling up to the first floor. Would I still be able to get the channels easily? I reallly want to be able to just flip on my HD box and watch something as opposed to getting ot the antenna hooking it up then tweaking it until I get a signal. I would do an outdoor antenna but its impractical at this time, nor do I want to fight the HOA again about legality (I had to with my dish) Though it is legal per fcc laws http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html has the current law.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Is the question regarding the functionality of an attic-mounted antenna vs. outdoor?

3. Mike_J_Potter

Yes sorry if I was unclear I tend to get too wordy at times. Also will the attic mount antenna preform as good or better then the small radio shack amplified antenna I have now/

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’ve never used an amplified antenna, but I have used “real” ones in the attic vs. “rabbit ears,” and they work great. It’s good to know how far you are from the broadcast towers, so you can choose the right size (which is determined by the distance from the towers).

I always get one substantially bigger than needed to make sure I get a great picture even on the weakest stations. But that’s “analog-think” - digital (HDTV) is more forgiving.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Mike_J_Potter

Thanks for the help. I am about 20 miles away from the towers all in the same general direction. Antennaweb said a small amplified antenna is needed which works right now. So I am assuming that a attic mount would work as good if not better then my amplified antenna. Though my main reason for wanting a fixed antenna is for the convience of not having to run cable up the stairs and aim the antenna everytime I want to watch something in HD.