Thinking ahead

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BryanHEZ, Jun 28, 2005.

1. BryanHEZ

BryanHEZ Auditioning

Hi all, first time on this forum. Great place! Already have alot of details.

Here's my situation. I'm not yet ready both budget-wise or planning-wise to even figure out what my HT needs are, just that I have them [​IMG]

Anyway, we just bought a new house and are in the process of finishing our basement. In fact, the contractor hasnt started yet, hopefully on Wed/Thurs.

I understand that alot can be done ahead of time that can save me time and $$$ down the road, once I make my decisions. I spent time reading that whole thread about "what would you do different", and pulled out 25 items right off the bat. That was SOOOOOOO helpful. I was also able to track down a CEDIA certified company locally that I'm hoping to use in the planning.

Here's where I'm at:

- I know I want a HT. I currently have a 5-1 surround sound system from Sony from 1998. And a 36" Panasonic Tube Tv.

- I dont know if the space we're finishing will warrant a projection screen. I'll be about 10' at most from the viewing area. Is that too close to need a projector and big screen? I'm thinking I might just go with a Plasma TV or something. I will be using the room as a general Man Room/Hideout to watch Tv, sports, video games, etc. So maybe this isnt a true HT?

- I read something about having the right ratios in the dimensions of the room, so I'm factoring that in.

- B/c this is in the basement, will see how much it will cost to have a wood subfloor installed for better bass.

I have a bunch of other areas to think about. Any input? What about that 2nd bullet above?

Thanks so much. I've learned alot from just 2 hrs on this site!

2. John S

John S Producer

I wouldn't worry to much about anything if it is really a game room of sorts.

If like 1/2 game room and 1/2 theater, then it sounds like your asking what the smallest I can make it is?

I still basically suggest a 2 to 1 ratio distance -vs- screen size. (I still choose to use screen size rather than horizontal screen measurement) So for me that puts you into a 60" or 50" to 70"

In a tighter space (It sounds a little tight) Plasma and Front Projectors make a lot of sense as they save room. Modern LCD/DLP RP units are pretty thin so don't count them out I suppose. With any sorts of bright lighting on, you probably won't want Front Projection.

The subfloor is nice, but not a must by any means. You still need to figure out the total room volume, to get a better idea of how much power/performance your going to need on the audio side of things.

Plasma while pricy is a good solution for this situation as I understand it to be. A 50" Plasma minimum though in my opinion.

3. BryanHEZ

BryanHEZ Auditioning

John, interesting. I will go home and get exact measurements of the room tonight. Yes, you are correct, this will be more of a gaming room with the ability to watch movies in the best possible setting. Am I in the wrong web forum for this?

4. John S

John S Producer

Well, I don't know where a forum admin might move it. These seem like basic questions, and there were no specific products talked about so I'd say this is the right forum.

5. BryanHEZ

BryanHEZ Auditioning

Ok, measured the general viewing area and it will be approx 14' x 22'. For various reasons, the short part (the 14') will be the distance between the screen and the sitting area. We're not sure if we'll even have the seating flush against the back wall, so we'll have less than 14' between the screen and the seats. Taking out the outside foot on each side, could be anywhere from 13' to 8' from the screen.

I guess my question now is: can I go with a plasma / HDTV (no projector) and a hi-end sound system and have the HT experience? Somewhat?

6. John S

John S Producer

Not ideal, but you sure can....

And your cieling? It is the total room volume that will have to bi figured in on the audio side.

I'd try for a bigger than a 50" though. Screen size is one of the major impacting choices for the true theater feel...

7. BryanHEZ

BryanHEZ Auditioning

Hi, my ceiling will be 8'. And we're doing a drywalled ceiling b/c of the look versus a drop ceiling.

Based on the seating plan, we'll be about 9-10' feet away from the screen for a 50'.