What's new

Thinking about upgrading the receiver-Need Help (1 Viewer)

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
My current system is
Infinity IL60 Fronts
Infinity IL50 Rears
Infinity IL-36C Center
Infinity IL120S Subwoofer
HK AVR500-Receicer
HK Signature 2.1(100X5)Amp

Would an upgrade to a better HK reciever like AVR7000 be a worthwhile upgrade. I am using the receiver as a processor only because the signature amp has enough power for five channels? I was also thinking about a Rotel Pre-pro instead of a receiver.I want to keep it under $1K.I would prefer to buy a used unit.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
What happens to the sound if you take the amp out?

Go for a pre-pro this time. My take.

Good luck!

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
I never tried without the amp since I had them at the time of setup. I am sure the amp section of the avr-500 is not comparable to the signature. Which pre/pro shall I start looking?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Simply watch Audiogon / Videogon / Ebay, and determine the parameters you need - hookups required, phono section necessary, processing modes, remotes ergo, etc.

There are simply too many to name here. I guess Sherwood, Outlaw, Adcom, Rotel, Sony ES...Locate a dealer in Columbus, too, some high-end places sell used trade in's.

Audio Advisor.com too.

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
I saw a discontinued Proceed PAV/PDSD at a local audio store which I think I can get it for $1400. I know the company no longer exists. What do you guys think about this and would it fit into my system?
If not then I will buy the Rotel RSP-1066.

Daniel.Han

Stunt Coordinator
I have listened to the rotels extensively and have never been disappointed. They aren't the best but they are very competitive in their price range. As for the discontinued Proceed, they also made very good gear but I would rather have a product I knew service on would be "easier" to get. At the same time the PAV got great reviews from what I can remember and you might never have a problem with it. It really all comes down to your comfort level with the product, with either I think you will be quite happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks