Thinking about SVS cylinder sub...what size to get?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tuan Vo, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Tuan Vo

Tuan Vo Stunt Coordinator

This will be my first post on the Home Theater Forum. Before coming upon this forum, I always thought that Klipsch and JBL were the better subs out there. Thats until I read up on the SVS and then experienced it at my friend's place. Well my question is I'm debating between the 20-39 PCi and the 20-39 PC+. I watch about 90 % movies on my home theater setup. My living room with all openings accounted for is about 3300 cubic feet. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

EDIT: The actual dimensions of the living room itself is 20' x 12.5' with a height of 8'. I just don't know how to account for the hallways and kitchen area.

2. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    That is a fairly large room, If you can afford it, go with the plus model. I have yet to hear someone say after a year of ownership : "I wish I had purchased the less expensive subwoofer" ...

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I've had a 20-39PC for 2 years now in the same cu ft space and it has performed very very well. The neighbors can attest to that! I live in a home with neighbors about 100 ft away and they regularly hear the roar of planes or thunderstorms moving in (or so they think).....I love it.

I upgraded the driver last year and upgraded the amp a few weeks ago also.....so it is pretty much the PCi model now. BUT.... get all the sub you can afford right now.....
    My friends are awed at the beauty of the cylinder and grin ear to ear when I shakes their pants legs....

But remember my sig....

4. Ronneil Camara

Ronneil Camara Stunt Coordinator

I also have 20-39 PCi for 2 months now on a 25x19x7 finished basement. I just love how it performs. But I was asking myself a while ago why there is a 20-39 PC+. So svs guru guys, what is it in 20-39 PC+ that 20-39 PCi cannot perform?

Thanks.

5. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

PC Plus has over the PCi..

More port area
    200W higher powered amp
    Higher output driver
    Selectable sub sonic filter
    Adjustable port tune configuration (25 stock- tune to 20/16, 20 stock- tune to 16/12, 16 stock- tune to 12hz)
    Variable phase knob (not just 0/180)
    Thicker wood end cap
    Supplied with two port plugs

From what I gather the Plus can play 3-4dB louder than the PCi across the range.

You should have bought a PC Plus. No hang on PC Ultra is better performing...hmm might as well get the PB2+ISD..no no PB2+.. no PB2 Ultra. Sod it buy the B4 Plus [​IMG]

[edit] yeah sorry Robb :)

6. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Tuan Vo,

I had a 20-39PC+ in about the same size space as you. I would not have wanted a model down from that.

Oh, and I think JohnSmith means 3 to 4 Dbs louder, not three quarters of a Db louder.

-Robb

7. Tuan Vo

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the PB1-ISD? I was considering that because it might integrate better into my apartment since I have a table in the only corner I have in the living room and I planned to put the subwoofer there. The box subwoofer would better fit under the table than moving it for the cylinder. Is there anyone who has tried both the PB1-ISD and the 20-39 PCi?

8. Ed McCaffrey

Ed McCaffrey Agent

The PB1-ISD will be able to go at slightly higher volumes above 25Hz then the 20-39; but the 20-39 will be louder at frequencies below 25Hz, and play lower frequencies then the ISD

I would go with the 20-39 if you listen to movies because you will get lower frequencies and louder at those frequencies. The 20-39 will probably play louder at frequencies above 25Hz then you will need anyway.

This comes straight from the response I got when I asked SVS tech support.

I don't know if either of these models will be powerful enough for your room. When I asked tech support for a reccomondation a while ago they said those models would be fine in a 1500 cubic foot room; ask them about yours.

9. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

If you can afford it, get the PB2+ and your worries will be over...seriously... [​IMG]

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

10. Pus Suchre

Pus Suchre Stunt Coordinator

I can just barely afford the 20-39PCi this week. I gotta have it- can't hold off any longer....must have bass......

11. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

You also need to consider your listening habits.

For example, I personally never listen at greater than -10dBs from reference. Given this I went, per Ron's (SVS) recommendation, with a 16-46PCi given my room dimensions -- which are similar to yours. This sub has a bit flatter frequency response curve which saved my the need for an equalizer.

Admittedly, the extra extension does not come into play often... but when it does it is fun to feel. If you listen at reference, then you'll probably need a short sub or a plus.

The key is don't hesitate to contact SVS with your listening habits and room dimensions. They will not oversell you.

jdg

12. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Always go with the big one . If you get the smaller one there will always be that WHAT IF feeling haunting you.

TRUST ME I KNOW[​IMG]

13. Tuan Vo

But being a college student, it might be hard to try to get the larger series. When I emailed them, they recommended the PCU if I could afford it. Yikes. But the 20-39 series will suffice if I couldn't.