Thinking about Surround

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Nick Bum, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Nick Bum

Nick Bum Stunt Coordinator

So since my grandma told me today that she is going to give me some money before I go back to school Im now thinking about going to a surround sound set up. Here is what I curentley own

JM Lab 906 bookshelvs
    1 Sony center ch from 1999 dont know model number
    4 Sony satalites from 1999 also dont know model numbers
    1 Sony sub
    1 Sony 5.1 reciever 110watts per ch.

So I want to upgrade the reciever for sure im thinking about the Pioneer VSX-1014. And I would like to get JM Lab center ch but can I have one for this price or what else would match with JM Lab speakers? Would klipsh be a good match since they both have a real upfront sound?

And my budget for all of this is 1k. And I would be giong with a 5.1 ch set up and I can keep the sony sub but that woudl ne upgraded later.

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I'd stay with the sony for now. That way when your dorm-room gets robbed you won't be at a great loss.

3. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Stunt Coordinator

Hey Nick.
    I would go for the JM center and keep what you have now. The cc-900 should fit the bill. It should match well with the 901's. You sony should be fine with it. But I would also save up for an external 3 channel amp. It will make a world of difference. The retail price for the center is 1,295. Just a thought
    Mike D

4. Nick Bum

Is their a cheaper JM lab center that I could go with?

5. MikeDuke

If you drop down to the Cobalt level the cc-800, it will be listed at $650. You may get it at a lower price. Who knows. It is a different range, but I think it would be OK. I have heard that as well and it sounded pretty good. I think the tweeter is almost the same as in the Electra.

Electra One 1" Tioxid inverted dome shielded tweeter, 3/4" coil, two 2-3/8" magnets

Cobalt 1" Tioxid 5 inverted dome shielded tweeter with 3/4" coil.

Of course you should try and hear it, but it did sound good when I listened to it.

You can see it at http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/sommaire.htm
    That site has reviews as well if you goto home audio and then press reviews.

6. Nick Bum

The cc-800 looks like it should match up well now to get to Hi-Tech Inovations to listen to them. I guess Monday will be the next time they are open. But I think I will be taking a look. I want to stay with the JM Lab brand because I was blown away with the 906 speakers they would have been way out of my price range but I got an excellent deal.

7. MikeDuke

Yea. You should try to stay with the same brand across the front. In case you could not tell, I like JM Labs very much. The midrange/woofers are made from W cone, same as electra. And the tweeter should be close enough to be seemless. I am sure you will post the results. Glad the 906's are giving you good times.
    Mike D

8. Nick Bum

So why dont more people have JM Lab speakers? It seems like on audio forums their are a few people that have thema nd they love them and no one else pays attn to them at all.

9. MikeDuke

Nick, I wish I knew.

One reason may be is that they don't advertise all that much in the main stream magazines and web sites. But that does not mean that they are unknown. Overseas they are very well known and reviewed.

When I first heard them I did not know anything about them. But my audio adviser said that I had to hear them. Did you know that they would provide drivers to other companies? I don't think they do it any more though. Some people might just think that they are high priced boutique speakers. I just don't know. What I do know is that I love mine. Let me put it this way. The only thing I would trade my speakers in for would be the Utopia speakers.

10. Keith J

Keith J Stunt Coordinator

I also own JMlab's
    906's
    cc900
    sr900
    and colbalt sr800
    They are a FANTASTIC let's say it agin FANTASTIC speaker very well requarded in the Highend market. Why don't more people own them because just like Revel,Areial acoustic,B&W and a few other the price of admission is a little steep from reading AVScience and a few other forums most of the guys can't afford them at $2000 for the 906's $2000 for the sr900's $1200 for the cc900 and 2400 for the cc901 and that's their entry level it goes up quite a bit from there it takes a heavy wallet to join the club. And you don't have a subwoofer or two in the price not to mention 7.1 I purchased the Colbalt SR800's for surround because the Electra line does not have a direct firing on wall surround and I wanted that for my rears 7.1 I have the SR900 on the side. It sounds incredible.

11. MikeDuke

I'll list my set up here as well
    927 Electra be's for front $Allot Took me a little over a year to save up.
    Electra 901-cc for center $Not bad
    Electra sw900 for sub $Not bad

I would agree that the price for admission is kind of high for some people but it is worth it. It is OK to save and get something good. I have not had any regrets on my purchases.

Good stuff Keith.

12. Keith J

And I quoted you US prices
    906's $2000 USD AKA $2695 CAN
    cc900 $1195 USD AKA $1895 CAN
    sr900 $2000 USD AKA $2695 CAD
    Cobalt SR800 I think $800 USD but am for sure $1100 CAD
    I accidently quoted you $2400 for the cc901 USD but that is CAD and you don't want to know about the 927 Be's great setup you have boy when I grow up and 15% tax is abolished I want Be's like Mike. [​IMG]

I have three Definitive Technology subs PF TL15+
    $700 US AKA $1120 CAD Oh BOY!!!!!!!!!!!

13. MikeDuke

Yea.

Kind of steap for the people up north. Thanks for the good word [​IMG]. I also had a Definitive Technology sub. It was a PF TL15. Not the plus model though. Any way, again good stuff. When I heard the 906's I liked them very much.

What do you use to power them?

14. Keith J

I have a Aragon 4004 MkII for front left and right and an ATI 1506 for surround duty. B&K ref 50 Processor.

15. MikeDuke

That looks like good stuff to me.
    I have a Bryston 4b-ST for front left and right
    A Bryston 5b-ST for center and surround
    And a Krell Showcase processor.

If your equipment has balanced connection, you should think about using them. They make a huge difference. Also, upgraded speaker wire does make a difference. Trust me.

16. Keith J

Trust me I know about the improvement in speaker wire I have Kimber 8TC all around. I also have two sola power transformers for my front end equipment to reduce noise and give me a constant voltage.

17. MikeDuke

Sweet.
    Sounds like you are already there.
    I only said that because some people are skeptical about it.

I use Transparent Audio speaker wire and balanced connectors.
    I also have the monster power HTPS 7000 and AVS2000. Good enough for now.

18. Keith J

Its funny how simular we are as I also was going to get Bryston amps but got a sweet deal on the ATI regular $3200 cad for $2200 as a close out. My Aragon 4004 MkII has been heavily modded so I have a cosiderable investment in it but it sounds great with the JMlabs. I plan to upgrade my subs later on this year for two Velodyne DD12's I have a NEC 6pg xtra CRT AKA RUNCO 980 ultra projector and a DVDO Ultra processor as I am a authorized dealer for Focus Enhancment and DVDO.

19. MikeDuke

That projector must be sweet. I wish I had the space for a projector. I am in a very small room. Some day. I am sure the Velodyne will be great. I never heard ATI but I have read that they do sound good. I have the JM labs SW900 for my sub. I am sure the Velodynes will be great. I have read some fine things about the DD12; professional reviews and on other forums.

20. Keith J

I am also running a dedicated 20 amp circuit for my amps only, if you do not have one and you can accommodate one it is definitely a must.