What's new

Thinking about starting over... (1 Viewer)

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone. Just wanted some opinions on what to possibly do. I might think about simplifying to a HTIB like the Bose 321 GS (I know).

Right now here's what I have:
NAD T742 A/V Receiver
PSB Image 5Ts (pair)
PSB Image 8C Center
PSB Subsonic 6
Marantz CD Changer
Sony DVP NS 715 DVD player

You'll note this setup does not include rear surrounds, and with my room situation (middle floor of home) and odd shape, they may never appear. My wife doesn't like the idea of wires running to the rear, either.

The sound I get now is very good, especially with music from CDs or my iPod and some DVDs sound really great (Finding Nemo, surprisingly). Some dialog sounds thin and softer than it should be. If you know the NAD, I've settled on the "Enhanced Stereo" setting for most TV and music stuff. The DVD setting is overridden by whatever's on the disc.

What do you think? Should I keep what I have or sell it, make some $$$, and dumb down to the Bose 321 GS? What about wireless rear speakers?

Thanks alot for any help!

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Are you crazy? bose? If you want to sell it for the money, then just start over and go 2 channel.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think you would regret that switch... I can't imagine not regretting that switch.

She, herself does not care to enjoy movies and TV content to it's fullest????

Hard to imagine anybody being that anal about it. But I suppose it happens.

HDTV is going to slap those like her right in the face when it becomes manditory is all I can say.

Time to go buy a correctly sized Barn/Shed, insulate it, drywall it, power it, and environmental it. So at least you can enjoy movies and music to their potential.

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
Funny.

The Bose idea was just thrown out there. HTiB is generally what I'm wondering about. My problem is that I don't have rears -- yet.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
If you run your wires properly, no one would ever see them. I think it would be a mistake to downgrade. Only regret would come from that. You might always think, "boy, this USED to sound much better..." but, I don't have to deal with someone not allowing me to have something that makes me happy. My wife LOVES HT! ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please ask for recommedations for specific HTiB models here in A/V Sources. The Basics area is strictly for general discussion at the beginner level, not for asking what to buy.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
At the CES this year, saw many choices for wireless rear speakers. All should be available in stores this year...

John

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'd much, much, much prefer a really nice two-channel system to a "dumbed down" home-theater-in-a-box setup. I mean, yuk. Have you heard these things? No emotional connection to the music whatsoever! Everything sounds like it's made of plastic shell and mylar. Ugh and nasty.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I think that is probably because they ARE made of plastic shells. . .

I repeat. Keep what you have, and add the rear speakers as soon as you are able. You shouldn't have too much trouble hiding the wires from your wife. Just tuck them in beside the carpet, under the basebaords, or if you feel up to it, run them behind the drywall.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Time for some negotiations here. First got to your Home Depot or Lowes and get a sample of flat wire. Show her how flat white wire can be installed without clashing with furniture of walkways. Further explain to her that it can be run over door ways out of sight of the walkways and then run to the speakers on stands or wall installed. The good thing about the flat wire, it can be painted to match decor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks