What's new

thinking about pioneer elite vsx32 or pioneer VSX-1120-K. opinions or other options? (2 Viewers)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Pioneers information on it's website about these two receivers (and quite possible others) is somewhat inaccurate. They both have the same DAC's.. They are both about the same with the orange display and two year warranty (and higher price) on the Elite being the main differences, along with a 12 voly trigger and some other small things. Amp, audio and video sections are identicle, regardless of what the website says. Also consider the Denon 1912/2112, H/K 2600, Marantz 5005/6005, Yamaha 871 and Onkyo 709.

batman144144

Agent
Real Name
Big Tim
Thanks for the info. I'm partial to Pio Elite, but I'm going to look at the models you listed. It may come down to the best bargain I can find. Which has the best sound quality? That's really important to me.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The difference in sound quality between receivers is minimal at best and room acoustics and your speakers will really determine the sound you'll hear. But about 6 months ago I had 4-5 very good receivers in my house (Pioneer Elite 94txh, Integra 8.9, Harman Kardon 7200 and HD 7550 and a Marantz 7002) and when switching between I did think I noticed some things. But I would have been happy with any of them. The features they had, how they worked and hoe easy the receiver was to setup and operate was a bigger concern to me. The room correction software is another thing to consider. Most people really like Audyssey on the Marantz and Integra (as well as Denon and Onkyo). H/K's EZSetEQ, Yamaha's YAPO and Pioneer's MCACC are thought to be a step behind it but personally I really don't care for any of them. I preffer to set things up myself. I think Marantz is the over-all best performer but they ( and Denon) just seem harder for me to setup and operate. I guess I'm more familiar with H/K, Pioneer and Onkyo. The Marantz 5005 receiver and 5005 universal BlyRay player would be a fantastic combination though. I decided to keep the Marantz 7002 and H/K 7200 (loved the performance and simplicity of it) but re-thought things and replaced the 7200 with an Elite 23txh to match the Elite dv-58 and BDP-23 I was already using. I'm also thinking of replacing the 7002 (and BD-8002-DV-6001) with an Elite SC-27 or 37 and Elite universal player and BluRay player. The Marantz is a wonderfull receiver but having all equipment from the same brand will just make things easier for me. It looks like none of the Denon receivers in your price range have pre-outs. Neither do the new Marantz 5006 and 6006 but last years 5005/6005 do. If I were in your situation it would be between the Elite 32 or the Marantz 5005, $469 shipped from Ac4l.com. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5005A/MARANTZ-SR5005-100w-X-7ch-3-D-Home-Theater-Surround-Receiver/1.html The Onkyo 708709 is another option.

batman144144

Agent
Real Name
Big Tim
Yeah, I noticed that about the pre-outs on the Denons. As far as room correction, I've read some people prefer Audyssey, some MCACC. I've never used either, though my current Elite has the function. I'd love to spring for the Marantz 5005, but I'd like to keep this as close to $300 +shipping as possible. Are you familiar with the Pio Elite VSX-21TXH? I can get a really good deal on a refurb for under $300, but the DSP engine doesn't look as good as the 32's. That's assuming the Pioneer site is correct. (The site lists the 32 engine as Freescale, while the 21 is simply "digital core.") Would that make a difference?

batman144144

Agent
Real Name
Big Tim
Ooooooooooooooooooooo. I just might have to pull the trigger on this one. (The one I'm looking at is black, not silver.) Ladies and gentlemen, the Marantz SR5004. Like new refurb, about $350 +free shipping. My finger is itching on the trigger...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
As I said I have the 23 txh and it's a pretty good little receiver. The amp section wasn't nearly as strong as the one in my 94 txh but that shouldn't matter to you. I'm also positive 23 and 21 have the same Amp, audio and video sections including the DSP Engine. It just has a few less features like only one HDMI output and 2 ch PQLS vs multi ch on the 23. The 21 would be a good choice if an Elite is in your sites.

batman144144

Agent
Real Name
Big Tim
Thanks again the help. I've always liked Marantz, but never owned one. I'da never looked at them if you hadn't nudged me. I still haven't made up my mind, but thanks again.

batman144144

Agent
Real Name
Big Tim
I just found out the 5004 is the model with the Pop of Death. Was this issue ever resolved? Good thing I still haven't ordered anything...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Your post number 23 arrived at the same time as my number 24 so I never saw it :) . I'm also aware of the POD issue with the 5004 (and 6004) and I wouldn't take the risk either. I didn't start recomending the 5005/6005 until they became available at a better price. The earlier models were just too expensive and had too few features compared to other brands. Same holds true for Harman Kardon, although I bought a new H/K HD 7550 ($2900 inflated msrp) for $783 shipped which was a great deal. Think I've gone off track here :blush: . I think only the "4" series suffers from the Pop Of Death, the "3" series and the "5" and "6" apparently don't. Pioneer vs Marantz? I'd give setup and usabillity to Pioneer but sound quality and performance to Marantz. For my livingroom system I sold my Elite 94txh in favor of a Marantz 7002. In my family room I still like the ease of use of the Pioneer Elite 23 txh.

batman144144

Agent
Real Name
Big Tim
gene c said:
If I were in your situation it would be between the Elite 32 or the Marantz 5005, $469 shipped from Ac4l.com. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5005A/MARANTZ-SR5005-100w-X-7ch-3-D-Home-Theater-Surround-Receiver/1.html
Just picked up a new, non-refurb SR5005 from A4less. Yay me! As far as receivers sounding the same, I'm sure many do --especially when comparing models from the same year. However, when you replace old gear, you always want the new stuff to sound better than your old stuff. Over the years, I've noticed big improvements in sound quality as I've bought different brands and models. When I went from a Sony TA-E1000ESD to the Yamaha DSP A1, the Yamaha had much better sound quality. When the Yamaha died, I picked up my Pioneer Elite VSX 45TX (my current unit). Again, the sound improved. I hope the Marantz doesn't break this tradition, and I don't think I'll disappointed. :)

batman144144

Agent
Real Name
Big Tim
Thanks for the info. Some of my posts are delayed because I'm new. How long does that last? 'Til you reach a certain number of posts?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't know about posts being "delayed", I just figured we both were typing at the same time. They both arrived at 5:47 PM. I never knew you posted it or I would have warned you about the POD.

batman144144

Agent
Real Name
Big Tim
Speaking of delayed posts, the one I told you about just appeared. You'll see it just above my "Thanks for the info" post on the previous page. It wasn't there when you made your last post. Anyway, it has an update regarding my search...

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by batman144144

Thanks for the info. Some of my posts are delayed because I'm new. How long does that last? 'Til you reach a certain number of posts?

Welcome to Home Theater Forum Tim. Occasionally some of a new members posts may be held by our spam filter especially if there are pictures or links in them requiring them to be manually released by a staff member. We try to get to them as soon as possible. We don't publicize specifics, but the filtering is tied to your post count.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks