What's new

Thinking about Panasonic Plasma...need some advice (1 Viewer)

Jon Davis

Auditioning
I use my current TV almost exclusively for DVDs. I have no interest in getting an HDTV, so naturally I thought about a high quality EDTV.

The Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY Plasma EDTV really stuck out at me, as I've seen a few members raving about this panel.

I do, however, have a few questions:

1. I'm afraid of Plasma because of their reputation for image burn-in, poor black levels, streaking, and poor picture in the absence of ambient light. Are any of these things still true (especially relating to this particular panel)?

2. This is labeled as a "commercial" product, and I'm confused as to what inputs actually come with it. Does this set come with componont inputs, or do I need to buy an additional input slot thing.

3. Any other suggestions for a widescreen EDTV with optimal picture quality for ONLY watching DVDs? I'd like to keep it under $3000.

Thanks in advance!

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
I have one of these panels, but I'm far from an expert. Here are some of my thoughts though.

1. Properly calibrated, there's less of a chance of burn in now, especially if you avoid lots of 4:3 watching, fixed (static) images, scrolling bars, etc. Give your panel a break once in awhile, mix up what you're watching. Black level are excellent on this unit. Not the 4000:1 it's rated at, but better than I've ever seen on other panels. Haven't noticed streaking. Picture quality is good with ambient light, better than most other technologies, except perhaps direct view LCD and some of the brighter rear projection DLP units (which I'd say about tie it). This panel has a rated half-brightness at 60,000 hours.

2. It comes with VGA (15-pin) which can be used for component as well, S-Video or Composite, and RGBHV using BNC which can be used for component too. There's 1 extra slot. I filled mine with their DVI w/HDCP blade, which can be purchased for about $150 (plus about $10 shipping).

3. For DVD's, I can't think of a better under $3k plasma choice.

Fran Lu

Grip
I'm interested in buying this unit as well. If you go to the EDTV vs HDTV thread above, there is a link to a page in the PlasmaTVbuyingguide.com site that discusses burn-in, and such.

The biggest question is - where are you planning to buy this unit from? Most places seem to be out of stock, or are you simply going to put your name on the list? Anyone know if we can get a group buy? :D

Mine is being delivered today. Just in time for the Superbowl! It is a commercial grade monitor and not a television. There is no tuner and speakers are optional although there is a built in audio amp that you could connect any stereo speaker system to in lieu of a home theater system. I have a Motorola DCT-6200 HD cable box and Yamaha surround sound.

Fran Lu

Grip
Thomas -

So you CAN simply hook up your cable box and view HD programming without any additional hardware correct?

May I ask where you purchased your unit from, and how much you paid?

Jon Davis

Auditioning
I'm planning on just adding my name to the list at plasmaextreme.us. Need to wait for my old (about 12 years) TV to die, anyways.

Thanks for the replies, this panel seems like a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks