What's new

thinking about installing a swimming pool ... any advice? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

we're thinking about installing a pool (and landscaping) in our backyard. but, we have no idea what to look for (gunnite vs fiberglass vs whatever), what kinds of things to take into consideration, etc.

the only thing i know is to install the pool first, so that the landscaping doesn't get all tore up.

so, i guess if anyone has any advice, stories (good or bad), etc ... i'd be glad to hear it!

mahalo!

GordonL

Supporting Actor
I read that pools are one of the worst upgrades in terms of ROI to make. Only do it if you plan on being in the house long enough to enjoy.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I hate pools right now. My inlaws have one, and it has been a nice shade of GREEN for about a month now. Lots of money in it. But, they are nice when they are ok. They have fiberglass now. They did have something else first, kind of like plaster. That cracked, and then they got the fiberglass because it was "lower" maintaince. Good luck.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
After the usual getting three estimates, checking references, etc....go here http://www.cslb.ca.gov/ All pertinent info on their license status is available.

Pool/landscaping contractors seem to have a lot of shady people. If they use sub contractors, make sure you've got certificates of insurance from each sub on the site (workers comp and liability). Get lien releases from each sub as they finish their work.

Good luck and enjoy.

Mort

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Check with your home insurance company for how much it's going to cost to insure. Pools are a giant liability.

Get estimates on the additional costs associated with running the thing and opening and closing it. If you consider yourself an environmentalist, try to imagine how much electricity this means. How much Co2 in the air and mountaintop removal coal used, etc, and is it worth it to you.

You will probably need a fence around your property (or back yard at least) in order to meet local ordinances. Keep that expense in mind.

Also, selling the house is going to be much more difficult with a pool someday when you want to sell. Do not operate under the assumption that money you put into it will come back out when you sell. More likely your home value will go backwards. Talk to a Realtor and see if it's a good idea.

I hate pools and would never dream of installing one.... But then again, lots of people might say that about installing a home theater, wet bar, or billiard room in their house, and I have those things, so if you like a pool go for it! :D!!

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Don't do it unless you are: rich, stupid, crazy, or all three. If there is any other pool around you can use or any chance of using a blow up portable one do that first. Pools are the biggest PITAs a homeowner can deal with IMHO.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
lol, thanks for the advice so far all. good point phillip. that's something i didn't even think of. are all pools supposed to be insured like that? i'll have to look into that. my backyard is completely fenced in, so i'm okay there.

i'm not too worried about resale value although i'm pretty sure my house won't go down just because of a pool. i know you almost never get your money back on this kind of investment.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
That will save you a major expense! Check specific local ordinances on height and type of fence for a yard with a pool just to make sure you're ok.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Ted, what part of the country are you in? If you're in a state where you can use the pool most of the year, that's a big plus.

I see some of the people saying no are from areas where pool use would be limited to half the year or less.

The direction of your back yard, amount of shade, etc., are also big factors here. A pool on the south side will be useful more months of the year.

I'd have to agree that the length of time you'll be in the house is really important as far as whether it's worth it.

Colton

Supporting Actor
My wife and I were thinking of getting a in-ground hottub. Would this be just as bad as getting a pool? Should we just get an above-ground hottub? What would the pros/cons be between the two types (above & in-ground)?

- Colton

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't be concerned about an increase in homeowner insurance increases due to increased liability as that portion of the policy is one of the least expensive portions. (Now certain dogs will get your policy canceled with many companies.)

Certain localities may require a separate fence inside your outer fencing that can be locked to restrict pool access or a lockable cover that supports weight. Sad case in my area recently was a homeowner leaving their front door unlocked, and a kid (who was really too young to be running loose anyway but that's a different issue) walks into the front of the house out the back, and drowns in the pool....while the people were home.

Agree with those that say maintenance is a pain. I maintained one for 10 years at my prior residence but have no desire at all to repeat that at my present house.

Mort

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

One would likely increase your property taxes and require permits, etc. The second can me moved if you desire or you can trade it for a case of beer when you're tired of it like I did.:)

Mort

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As already mentioned, you may require an additional fence. Height is also an issue.

As for the hot tub, I'd go above ground. you can sell it if you aren't using it, or get rid of it if there are problems. If you really want it at ground level, build a deck around it. Inground makes servicing a pain.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Just don't hope to use your Christmas bonus to pay for it and all you get in the envelope is a membership to the Jelly of the Month club. :D

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
A Pool is well worth the investment. Just be sure to get an automated chlorinator and. if you can afford it, an automated PH controller.

If I were doing my pool again I'd also have it wired for a heat pump.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Colton, I spent a lot of time researching various tubs and options. The in-ground tubs tend to be more efficient (less heat loss) and prettier (tile surrounds, custom built to your specs, etc.). Unfortunately they are a pain to service (pump replacement, etc.). I went with an above ground therapeutic spa.

Hot tub: a tub of hot water (no bubbles)
Spa: A tub of hot water with jets
Therapeutic Spa: A tub of hot water with powerful jets

If you think used car shopping is bad then you haven't seen anything yet. Some spa dealers are complete rip-off artists. The cheaper spas tend to have zero insulation (not an issue in Florida but a big problem in cold weather). This means it will cost you a lot of money (3-4x) to run that 'cheaper' spa. Go to Pool and Spa's Message Board for help (you will want to take a lot of things that are said with a grain of salt).

When selecting a tub, you MUST test it! That means bringing a bathing suit and sitting in the running hot tub for 10+ minutes. You will find that some jets hit the wrong areas (or are needle-like and uncomfortable). You may also find that you can't stay in certain seats (float away, etc.). You want to find these things out before your purchase! Plan on adding $1k+ to the price of a tub for electrical work, pad, cover, and startup chemicals.

I'd suggest looking at Marquis and Hot Springs as a starting point. Those tubs are pretty good (you'll have to decide if the dealer is decent).

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
One other point about pools. They are a lot easier to care for than a Big Lawn and provide a lot more fun and relaxation.

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
Last year I bought a house with a pool. Even though I have not used the pool as much as I would like, I enjoy having it. As long as you spend a few minutes every other day checking chemicals and maintaining the pool, the cost is all that bad. You will really spend some money if you let things get out of balance too long. My advice, Read as much as you can about understanding how pool chemicals work from an independent source (not your local pool store). This way you know if the pool store if just trying to sell you stuff you do not need. Instead of an automatic chlorinator, I would recommend a chlorine generator. It uses salt to generate the chlorine and then once the chlorine is used, it gets converted back to salt. The feel of the water is simply amazing and it is a lot safer than the lab-created chlorine. (Eyes will not burn, etc.). Look into automatic cleaners (either pressure side or robotic).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks