What's new

Thinking about getting custom made DVD shelving/storage (1 Viewer)

HalloweenNightJW

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Woodwell
As my collection rapidly nears 1000 DVDs I am officially out of room. Recently I have been redecorating my room and the idea of getting custom made DVD shelving/wall unit(s) has come up. I have a wall that is roughly 95" X 95" to play with. Ideally I would like a custom made unit that would be from floor to ceiling and able to accomodate my entire collection (strange, oddly shaped box sets included). Does anyone here have any experience in getting something like what I have in mind custom made for their own collection? Anyone have any idea as far as costs go? Thanks in advance!

thrca

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
If you want to attach it to the wall, it would be fairly straight forward to build it, with minimal carpentry skills.

I would make the shelves about 7" in height (a std DVD case is about 6.5 or so), which should allow for those slightly larger box sets and what not.

Alternately, depending on your budget, there is some really nice shelving systems that are designed to connect side-by-side that will hold over 700 per unit.

600 DVD wall unit

You could mount multiples of these side by side, and they are reasonably cheap. Other ideas.

DerekLee1

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
I'm going with the Discmaker storage system. Each carousel houses 100 discs; you can stack up to 5 carousels, and link up to 100 - that's right, 100 - stacks! That's 50,000 discs, manageable by one database that catalogs each disc, and reads and notes the carousel and position so that you can find it almost immediately, and it spits it out of the carousel in which it resides. What a system! Each carousel costs from $100-150, depending on how many you order at a time, and you of course need some sort of computer to house the database. Shelves may look pretty, and seeing the discs displayed can be pretty impressive, but MAN scouring and organizing hundreds or thousands of discs is just not worth the effort to me when something like this exists.

www DOT discmakers DOT com/duplicators/peripherals/DiscManager.asp?gclid=COrZzNb405MCFQWVFQodMzxTjg

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
I built from scratch this just two weeks ago and I'm by far a wood working type of guy. I have about $175-$200 in it and it should hold around 600 DVD's.

I recommend anyone to try and build what you need. You'll find out it will look better then you would think for Double the $$$.

Shannon

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lockheede
Recent bookmarks