Thinking about getting a Toshiba 57H81, need help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Hall, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Mark Hall

Mark Hall Auditioning

I am planning on getting the 57H81, but I was hoping that I could get some help on a few things.

1)I'm confused about the upconversion to 540p. How does a progressive scan DVD player handle this since it outputs in 480p. If there a loss of resolution when this occurs.

2)Also, I'm currently using Cox Digital Cable for my normal TV viewing. How is this going to look on my new RPTV. How will the picture compare to what I'm currently using (32" RCA). How does the digital cable different than regular cable on the tv.

Thanks for any help
    Mark

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

1) There is some loss of resolution in the 480-540 upconversion process. Whether you'd notice it or not in regular viewing is debatable. You can see it around the 520-lines point on a test pattern with the Avia DVD; however, most DVDs don't have this much resolution to begin with, and when you're watching a movie instead of a test pattern, it's highly unlikely that you'd notice anything.

However, the new model Toshibas (57H82) do a better job of upconverting than the older ones, so if you're concerned, you might want to get the new model.

2) Any good RPTV is only as good as the signal it's being fed; the set will magnify any flaws inherent in the signal. If you're getting a marginal picture from Cox, it'll "look better" on a smaller screen because the flaws won't be so evident.

Jan

3. Chris_MJ

Chris_MJ Agent

Might as well get the 57h82. I have the 50h82 and I am no expert on home theater but DVD's look gorgeous.

4. Hugh Scrivener

Hugh Scrivener Stunt Coordinator

Hold out for the 57H82, its basically the 57HX81 with the addition of 720p and DVI "upgradability". What ever the hell that is....DVI and "upgradability", that is.
    I've been around the block and back over RPTV's and althought Toshiba often gets slammed in these pages for some of their up-conversion policies, at this price point theres no better value.
    I'm buying the 57H82 when available and thats it. ....unless i hit the lottery before then.