Thinking about DirectTV...Who the heck is Pegasus?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Dave Miller, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

I'm thinking about jumping on the Satellite TV train, so I go to Direct TV's website, enter my zip and the tell me to go to localprovider.org which I do. I enter my zip there and they tell me that my local provider is Pegasus in Marlborough, MA.

There's only one problem, I live in Florida!

Two questions:
    1. Who is Pegasus because what I've read so far on other forums ain't good?

2. Why are they my local provider?

Peace,

DM

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Pegasus Corporation may be headquartered in Marlborough but I'm pretty sure that some of their territory is in Florida.

I don't know the whole story of Pegasus and why you'd have to get DirecTV from them instead of DirecTV directly (pardon the pun). I do know that they don't get along and there are lawsuits flying. DirecTV just won a $51 million judgement against Pegasus.

If you can hold out for a little while, it might be possible that DirecTV's business with Pegasus will be completely ended and you won't have to deal with Pegasus.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Pegasus (aka Pegasux) was an original investor in the DirecTV 1 satellite. In exchange for the investment, they got control of rural locations all over the the contry. DirecTV wants to break the contract since the original satellite isn't in service any more. Also, what was rural when DirecTV started is now suburbs (in a lot of places) and people don't understand why they can't go directly to DirecTV.

Option 1 - Dish. They don't have a deal with any other re-sellers. But at least do a few searches to find out their other problems.
    Option 2 - Buy used receivers and install them yourself. You will also have to use an address of a nearby friend that isn't in the Pegasus area for the DirecTV subscription.

-Robert

4. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

I know with E* there is a large range of installers available. I assumed it was the same with D*. I see all kinds of places and billboards by independent installers advertisings D*'s wares.

I had a company from Tampa do my install when we recently moved. We are in a "new suburban" but mostly still rural area N. of St. Augustine and S. of Jacksonville. I just called Dish and they sent them out.

Another possible consideration is that I was unable to get all of the perks of Dishmover (cheap transfer of service for existing customers) when I approaced a reseller myself. When I called Dish they sent this Tampa firm over and I got a 3rd room for $50.00, free move and install of new hardware dish and cabling. I brought my own receivers from the old house.

I know you are asking about D* but I thought my experieince might be a little analogous.

5. Dave Miller

I've already done the research w/ E*. No problems there except, I'm concerned about their future and the quality of their receivers.

I'm pretty picky about my equipment and E* just seems to have more issues. I realize that I can get free equipment through them, but IMHO an 811 or 921 are not considered "free" if they cause more stress than they relieve.

Before you flame me, I realize D* receivers have issues, bad CSRs, and bad installers too. I'm just worried about the long term future of E*.

I thought when doing the research on D* I'd be comparing apples to apples, but this Pegasus thing has put a kink in the comparison. I'm assuming that a different D* installer will enter my address if I called them and tell me that they can't install b/c Pegasus has to do it. Is this correct?

I may wait. If I want an HD Tivo, I'll be waiting anyway.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. So sick of cable!

Peace,

DM

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    See my option 2. If I moved to a Pegasus or NTRC (another D* reseller) area, I would do it. You are paying more money for less service and I'll never go back to cable or Dish.

-Robert

7. Dave Miller

This just stinks. Is a self install difficult?

Peace,

DM

8. Dave Miller

Well, with the latest ruling it looks like I may go the Dishnetwork route. No wonder I see so many E* dishes in my neighborhood.

Peace,

DM

9. Dave Miller

I guess I'm going to have to retract my previous statement.

Evidently, Pegasus is fighting this, but this would be a great thing for me and many others if true.

More discussion can be found here.

Peace,

DM

10. Dave Miller

11. Wayne Bundrick

Pegasus is filing chapter 11 as part of their strategy to stop DirecTV from terminating the agreement.

12. Dave Miller

May the fail miserably! I don't understand this move. Is there no way for them to be a viable business under the new arrangement?

Peace,

DM

13. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Not really...

14. Kevin-Andre

Kevin-Andre Auditioning

I've had DirectTV for years now ... this is the first I'm hearing of the whole 'pegasus' thing. I've never called them once for service... I always called DirectTV directly.

15. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Pegasus only had contracts for rural markets. Not primary ones.

16. Wayne Bundrick

A lot of people don't think they are in a rural market, but they are according to DirecTV and NRTC/Pegasus. As Robert described, some places that used to be rural are now suburbs.

I would not have been surprised if my location was considered rural, but it's not.

17. Wayne Bundrick

From SkyReport:

That's the news you've been waiting for, Dave.

Meanwhile, DirecTV has sued Dish Network because they have started an advertising campaign trying to scare current Pegasus customers into believing they might lose their DirecTV service and they should switch to Dish.

18. Wayne Bundrick

From SkyReport:

That's the news you've been waiting for, Dave.

Meanwhile, DirecTV has sued Dish Network because they have started an advertising campaign trying to scare current Pegasus customers into believing they might lose their DirecTV service and they should switch to Dish.

19. Dave Miller

Wooooohooooooooo! I'm in. Mid July, the "Six months of TC for $29.99 / month" special will end, so I'll pull the trigger before then. I've already contacted Valueelectronics and they said I could be their first guinea pig.

You know, when I saw that E* ad I thought it was very misleading.

Peace,

DM

20. Dave Miller

Wooooohooooooooo! I'm in. Mid July, the "Six months of TC for $29.99 / month" special will end, so I'll pull the trigger before then. I've already contacted Valueelectronics and they said I could be their first guinea pig.

You know, when I saw that E* ad I thought it was very misleading.

Peace,

DM