What's new

Thinking about buying Onkyo DV-C600 (1 Viewer)

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about getting used Onkyo DV-C600 6-disk changer for about 60$ used. It was top of the line model few years back and all the reviews state its unbelivable sound/picture quality. It has some shortcomings, such as inability to play CD-Rs, mp3, SACD (it can play DVD-Audio) and lack of progressive scan (but my TV does not support it anyways). In addition some of these have relyability issues, but the one I am getting seems to be fine. I am primarily interested in using it to play CDs and occasionally DVDs, that it for now. Can someone tell me how its picture/sound quality stacks up against modern day inexpensive DVD players? I just want to get a very economic sourse for now (

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about getting used Onkyo DV-C600 6-disk changer for about 60$ used. It was top of the line model few years back and all the reviews state its unbelivable sound/picture quality. It has some shortcomings, such as inability to play CD-Rs, mp3, SACD (it can play DVD-Audio) and lack of progressive scan (but my TV does not support it anyways). In addition some of these have relyability issues, but the one I am getting seems to be fine. I am primarily interested in using it to play CDs and occasionally DVDs, that it for now. Can someone tell me how its picture/sound quality stacks up against modern day inexpensive DVD players? I just want to get a very economic sourse for now (

Rino C

Agent
Run away! Check out the audioreview ratings. Mine crapped out after not even a year's usage! I was watching DVD, stopped it, went to kitchen to get a drink, came back and pushed play and nothing. It quit in the middle of watching a movie! Apparently there was a design flaw that Onkyo conveniently forgot to inform the buyers and issued a fix that nobody knew about.

When I found out about the fix, it was already way too late. When you are out of warranty, Onkyo customer service disses you cold. I sent them an email asking about the fix and they sent me a canned email saying take it to a service shop. No duh. After that they will just ignore you. I haven't bought an Onkyo product since.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
If its old(er) and used - AND still working ok, you can assume that it is defect free and will last a few more years.

Picture quality is irrelevant. PQ is pretty much the same for all players at 480i. Issues only arise with scaling (which you are not doing) and de-intelacing (also not doing).

Get it. Onkyo has great audio quality.

Yeah, when electronics quit, they quit early. If you had taken it to the shop then, you would of had it fixed for free (1 yr warranty).

Oh, and when buying NEW electronics, use your Platinum card. You double the manufacturer's warranty.

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
Rino C and Rob Kramer:
Thanks a lot for your replies. I kind of look at it as a way to get nice quality source for short money until I decide which universal player to get. It seems that Onkyo fits that description. I read the reviews and there are tons of complains regarding reliability, but if the one I am getting is fine after several years of use, it probably is one of the OK ones (there are few of those as well besed on reviews).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks