Thinking about buying jbl

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Demian, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Demian

Demian Extra

I have a box kenwood speaker system that sounds ok but lacks, I would like to take it to the next level. I almost exclusively use my system for home theatre. My room is 26Lx12w and the room is square and ideal for HT. I have been searching the internet to learn more and have been looking at the jbl E90's,EC35,and a svs sub. I have a Yamaha 5790 receiver which is decent I think. I know that how it sounds to me is most important, but like most dont have many arenas for comparison. I have noticed many threads about jbl lately and wandering if they are the best for this price range? Many of the others I've looked at lacked a midrange or quality of the jbl series for the money. I've looked at Infinity, Ascend, Energy, and several others but am not sure which is better. I want to make an informed decision on the quality of each product. Jbl seams to be very popular here and are very affordable, please give me some input.[​IMG]

2. EricCrane

EricCrane Agent

I think jbl has been talked about because there was is a pretty good sale on them at bhphotovideo. I ordered a pair of e90s but haven't listened to them because best buy is the only store around that has them.

The jbl displays at bestbuy have damaged woofers. I figured I got the jbls at a cheap price that if I want to return them I don't mind paying a shipping charge. I took a look at the klipsch synergy series, Infinity, Polk, and Athena. I'll let you know when I get them.

I thought the klipsch's were too harsh, the athena's sounded solid, Infinity was fairly neutral, and the Polk too expensive for what I'm looking at.

3. John S

John S Producer

At bhphotovideo:

E90's cheaper than E50's.. Odd, but cool for sure.

That is pretty good pricing and free shipping to boot.

4. Demian

Demian Extra

The E90's are $457 at your door for the pair @ digital1234. I don't know what kind of business they do, but it's a pretty good price. That is the cheapest I've seen yet. They have the ec35 for $143 at your door also.

5. EricCrane

EricCrane Agent

Might have to check that out. I've been looking for a cheap price for the ec35. Can't believe on ebay the prices on jbl speakers are more expensive then the ones you can find at reputable e-stores.

6. EricCrane

EricCrane Agent

Just looked at jbls website and it states that digital1234 isn't an authorized jbl dealer. So your manufactuers warranty is void.

7. Demian

Demian Extra

Thanks for the info Eric, it said it had warrranty's but have to be carefull of scams on net. There are many out there. Some places will tell you anything to sell a product.

8. EricCrane

EricCrane Agent

Well let me restate that: JBL doesn't list them as authorized dealers.

9. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

As has been mentioned by me and several others in about 5 threads over the past month.
    bhphoto's prices are not a sale, that is their everyday price :)

10. EricCrane

EricCrane Agent

I'm pretty sure when I originally went to check prices that bh was higher plus no free shipping. Then the next day they price matched J&R with free shipping. I pretty sure it is a sale, or maybe they've been on sale for the last few months because they are discontinued.

11. MikeyWeitz

BH has had them at that price sicne I started looking back in Dec or Nov.

Them being discontinued is a rumor that started in a different thread here. No where else did anyone say they were discontinued or soon to be!

12. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, I don't think they are being discontinued either. Seems their bread and butter line right now.

13. JerryMa

JerryMa Stunt Coordinator

Aren't they upgrading the line soon, like Paradigm does with the "V(insert number)" designation? I thought Phil posted something about that somewhere.

14. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

JBL will be coming out with a new series to replace their studio (or "S") series in the future. No news yet as to when they will be coming out. The Northridge "E" series is an upgraded version of the "N" series.

15. EricCrane

EricCrane Agent

So jbl has been selling at these prices for awhile? At best buy the e90s are like $900 per pair. It just seemed odd that reputable stores like bh could sell for socheap.

16. MikeyWeitz

Best BUy is a ripoof, overpriced store. That's why :)

17. Oupei

Oupei Agent

Oh how I wish they were. Unfortunately the price for E50 is 250 for a pair, and for E90 it's 235 for one.